Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. I liked Allen as a prospect & i like him now after his rookie season.But hes still the 3rd or 4th best in this class based on the eye ball test.

He plays alittle wreckless & hangs some ugly balls late down the right seam..teams are gonna bait him into doing that moving forward & next year the DBs wont drop it.

I think he can win ball games but hes gonna need a system & surrounding cast that totally centers around his game.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It was my senior year of college and I had already gotten into grad school. I watched the QBs in lieu of attending classes haha.

3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

This is the post that seems the most fair that i agree with almost 100%.

Saying it this way is a cop out, but Allens success wont always align with excellent stats. There will be stats he does well in, and ones he does poor in. Something that gets repeated often in buffalo is that Allen has 'it'. 'It' is very apparent when watching any other game except the Pats game. Its willing your team to a win, or keeping them in the game and putting them in position for the W. Its being a leader and maybe a little cocky.
    Not for nothing, but when i visit opposing teams message boards if the Bills win there are plenty of comments like 'i was wrong about allen' or 'i wish our team had a young qb like that' and its followed by comparisons to steve young or cam newton. If they dont win, its comments like ' it does seem like buffalo has found their guy' or ' that kid could be really good in a few years'.
    His Jets game happened to be just a so-so game for the kid during his rookie year.
    The disconnect is that for Allen, the stats dont tell his entore story. He was over or at 500 in games he started and finished - which no one expected.

We expected MANY growing pains in year one and instead got constant progression with a bone head play here and there with stuff om the field we havent seen a qb do in years. And not just with his legs. Thats bonus.
    So as ive said time and time again, hate the dude if you want but i GUARANTEE if this kid suited up in a Jets uni this year and you watched every snap he took in context of the game - youd be jazzed for his future too. And as we wrap this up, thats the ppint i keep trying to make. You might not like him and thats ok, but u cant talk me out of being excited for him in 2019

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

As expected, neither of you responded to my last post. But of course you think the post comparing him to an MVP QB is the most fair.

5. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Just to fan the flames a bit. ;)

And for bonus luls

Footballgod214, PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I imagine he'll have to get a new screen name at least, Unless he moves on to whatever team TB winds up with.

Noam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Better than I thought he’d be? Yes, but because of his rushing ability. Didn’t know he could run that well. His passing has been every bit as bad as I thought it’d be. Can he improve? Maybe. I’ve still got him as the worst qb in the class.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Allen and Darnold were similar this year. Sams upside is much higher . Just don’t see Allen improving as a passer. If he does, watch out. Either way should be a fun rivalry for years

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of action on the board this week!
    I'll jump in at this post for a quick reply, as there are more interesting topics at hand.

You can look at individual stats for QB's, both positive and negative, and there will probably some truth to them.
    It's part of the story, but it's not a complete picture. Especially with less traditional QB's.

If you look at Allen in particular, I think you can make a fair argument that he needs improvement on touch throws, and needs to adjust to the speed of the game.
    That can also be said of any rookie QB, let alone one coming from a JV program.
    Considering he really should have sat this season, but instead was thrust into a terrible Buffalo starting squad, he more than held his own.

My problem with your arguments is that you are not stating he needs improvement, but rather trying to pass off exaggerated statements of him as a joke prospect, and a complete bust.
    That argument is a pre-draft one, and it's really already been put to bed. He's not Hack, he's not Peterman. Far from it really.
    So that makes me question your motivation.
    It's way over the top, as if you are desperate for it to be true for some reason.

If I'm a Buffalo fan (which I'm not) I'd be very excited with how his rookie season played out.
    Scoring 5 TD's versus 1 pick while throwing for over 65% against Miami?
    Very positive sign.
    Looked terrible against NE, but Belichick does that regularly against rookie QB's, including Darnold.
    Thought he played excellent against Detroit the week before that as well, and was the clear difference in the game.
    For a guy put in a terrible spot, he stood up to the challenge and showed he belonged.

In terms of being successful going forward, he's going to have to continually improve upon his game of course, which can also be said of all the rooks.
    He's never going to be a Drew Brees, but he can do damage in other ways. I think his ceiling is in the Cam Newton style of play, with his floor being riddled with injuries in a perpetually changing Bills organization that goes nowhere.
    Both those takes would be fair imo.

11. BacktoQueens

Rosen was hands down the worst QB in the class this season.
    He's the only QB that didn't show any signs of improvement as the season went on. Was a disaster.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Long term though I think he'll be fine. And he still had a better completion percentage than Allen who is just a natural erratic thrower of the football. I mean Allen was at 52.8 which is somehow worse than rookie season Sanchez

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. BacktoQueens

On what basis will Rosen be fine?
    He literally showed no positive signs and makes Eli look athletic. Having zero athleticism as a young QB just doesn't cut it anymore. I don't think he has the right attitude to lead either.
    That guy will get a lot of coaches fired before Arizona owns that draft mistake.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I said earlier that I thought Allen's ceiling was Cam Newton, so I agree with you there. I also put Mayfield's ceiling as Brees, Darnold's ceiling as Rodgers, and Jackson's ceiling as Elway (recognizing that it's unlikely that anyone actually hits their ceiling). Rosen is the really tough one. The Cardinals would like to say his ceiling is P. Manning as a prototypical immobile in-the-pocket QB, but E. Manning is a lot more realistic, and I don't at all think he'll reach that. If he doesn't show massive improvement next year he might be out of the league by 2021 or 2022.

#674 statjeff22, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Cardinals' roster is bad and nobody seems to want to coach there. So unless Rosen improves next year, they'll have another top 5 pick. And Tagavailoa, Fromm, and Herbert should come out next year. So out of the league is harsh, but he'll be out of a starting job.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Not sure Lamar is everything folks are thinking he is.

I'm so happy we have Sam.

17. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

He’s gonna be fine long term id still rather have him than baker whose absolute ceiling is what you saw this year.

You can’t really read much into rookie seasons good or bad as we’ve seen countless times. Guys who lit it on fire flame out and guys that sucked turn out to be really good

18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So a guy who everyone thought had to sit at least a year but was clearly the best rookie QB and that’s his absolute ceiling?

One training camp as the back up and no first team reps until game 8 and that’s the best he’ll ever be?

You are seriously one of the best trolls.

Noam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

How is this even an actual opinion? Seriously. I dunno what team you’re a fan of but please find their forum and start posting there.

Noam likes this.
  20. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Hell be another rg3 always trust the browns to crash and burn