Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

i didnt walk away thinking he was inaccurate.
    He also had 5/6 legit drops, noted statistically.
    The narrative in buffalo isnt he was inaccurate, and right or wrong there is usually an unfair narrative about everything lol.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and if you saw inaccurate passing- thats what you saw

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cam was a better thrower of the football then Josh Allen coming out.

3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

At this point thats a man to a kid. I havent seen them with their shirts ofside by side (im not being a smart ass) so i cant even begin to offer anything but wonder what old man allen will look like.

Of note, this is an impressive convo.
    I think the fact Allen can even be discussed likethis good and bad (on a jets forum no less) is a perfect reflection of him as a prospect and what he will have to do to actually prove to be a stud or bust

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Even as a rookie Cam was super muscular, he weighed 11 pounds more than Allen at the combine and they're the same height. But yeah it'll be interesting to see how Allen's career progresses. Before the draft, I wasn't an Allen fan (though I wasn't one of the Hack 2.0 doomsayers), but I could easily be wrong about him.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You could argue that if Darnold were a better runner he could have extended some plays that resulted in turnovers/punts.

Perhaps he doesn’t see opportunities to run like Allen does.

I’d never want Darnold to think run first, but I wouldnt mind seeing him take those chances a bit more often.

Jets offensive play calling and a fair amount of their personnel is garbage. Put a formula 1 racer in a go-kart for 1 race and it doesn’t matter how good of a driver he is, he’s not going to win.
    Rewatched the game the other night. He did have a good 4-5 drops so his receivers did let him down at times. It’s hard to say how much of that was touch on the ball but drops are drops. INT’s were pretty bad but Sams has his share as well. They’re rookies...it’ll happen.

He really didn’t look bad to me. Ran when it seemed like the right thing to do. Didn’t watch the coaches film yet so I could be mistaken on that but I think you have a QB in Buffalo. Same as Sam, get him a strong OL, some weapons, and good coaching and he could be around for a while.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with most of your post, especially about Allen - he didn't look as bad as some are saying. That said, his mechanics are below average, and while the drops show that his Comp % could've been much better, he's still not very accurate. Overall though, he has some tools that other "standard" QBs don't possess, beginning with arm strength, and overall strength to break tackles, so if he can stay healthy and get the right coaching/supporting cast, he could become a SB-winning QB. There have been SB winners with less talent/ability than Allen. So I do think the Bills fans have reason to hope, and good for them.

Where I disagree a little is about Darnold. While I agree he should take matters into his own hands a little more and ignore the "direction" from the morons on the sideline, I wouldn't want him to get into the habit of thinking run too quickly. Doing what he did on Sunday to extend that TD play was great, but I don't want to see him become Fran Tarkenton II. Fran was entertaining as hell, but he never won a SB.

HomeoftheJets and Jets81 like this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I don't want Sammy having to run/scramble. I want him to have enough time back in the pocket that he looks like statue ala Tom "Cindy" Brady.

Draft OL please.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mean I thought he overthrew a few easy passes. If he learns to not throw 200 mph, I'm sure he'll cut back on them.

But those drops were absolutely brutal. I almost felt bad for him on some of those.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

10. ColoradoContrails

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think Cam Newton is about the ONLY comp for Josh Allen. That doesn't mean he'll end up being as good as Cam but he's definitely the guy you'd compare him to and measure him against. Both Cam and Allen not only are "running quarterbacks" but they are the two guys that are physically nastier than the average defender they are running into. They also compare well in the sense that they have big time arm strength and throw fastballs that aren't always dead on target 100% of the time.

I think they are very similar type players skillset wise and no one else really matches.... maybe Wentz but other than him I can't think of another guy playing now or recently that's in that same group.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The other thing that's kind of interesting at this point. (to me anyway) is that we all kind of assumed, and statistically speaking rightly so, that out of the 4 QBs probably at least 2 of them would be busts to some extent. Honestly at this point it doesn't seem unreasonable that all 4 might work out at least fairly well.

As a group they would kind of defy history if they all manage to be successful NFL winners.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this was an interesting takeaway from the article - i know its Baker but it just goes show what a difference a change in coaching can make

Rating w/ Haley 78.9
    Rating w/ Kitchens 114.4

Same player different systems

14. ColoradoContrails

Coaching makes a huge difference. In fact, aside from FQB, it's the biggest difference between SB-winning teams and the rest.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Just something I am hanging on to in the hopes we get a change in the summer and it leads to a marked improvement in Sam's performances

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

TGG won't like it but right now the QB class is Mayfield > Darnold = Allen = Rosen = Jackson.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s true. I haven’t seen any of Rosen but it’s interesting to me that there is so many opposing opinions on him. I’ve seen “experts” that say he’s terrible and “experts” that say he’s good but his team is bad

19. HomeoftheJets

He's a more polished, less athletic version of Darnold. Similar production on a similarly crappy team.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He has it worse then Sam. His OL is a disaster and he’s on his second OC.