Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Everyone of these guys who were drafted in the top 10 were drafted based on their potential to be an elite NFL QB and be the centerpiece of their teams to build a contender with for years. They have all shown progress and have all basically sucked at the NFL level. Granted learning and progress isn't always linear. We do know that Blake Bortles isn't going to be the next Ben Rothlisberger. We don't know if Sam Darnold isn't going to be the next Johny Unitas.

Fortunately, I don't live in Buffalo and I actually saw the MN game. FYI right now I think Josh Allen has shown more than any of the rookie QB's in terms of potential. Right now he sucks as an NFL QB.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s a good thing.

3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Thanks for clarifying bc i took that as you had already given up hope on all of them which would seem premature.

Before this started was the consensus among jets fans darnold? I remember reading you guys seemed to be prepping for Baker, but was that who you guys wanted? Or just expected to be left and was preferred to Allen and Rosen?
    Rosen.. we dont see much of him back east, but its odd that there doesnt seem to be much on him week to week like the other 4

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I live in AZ and have seen all of Rosen's snaps. Rosen came into a pretty bad situation in AZ. Bradford was brought into start, Mike McCoy was brought in to run the O with a first time HC. McCoy and Bradford are both gone and the OC job was given to Leftwich who has never called plays before. The OL has been decimated and Rosen was thrown in to a really bad situation.

Until the dysfunction around him is fixed it's going to be hard to tell. The one bright spot was Christian Kirk, their 2nd round draft pick was developing into a good NFL WR and had some chemistry with Rosen. He broke his foot in the Green Bay game and is gone for the rest of the season.

Right now, he sucks. He has put together a few drives, not many that look surprisingly like they're being run by a very good experienced NFL QB. He doesn't seem at all rattled by the suck fest. I think he might be really good if they get him a decent OL and some coaching.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wanted Mayfield and didn't want any of the others, but am happy with Sam.

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

he is the worst of the bunch we are the worst and we deserve the worst fuck this team !

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Sam made some spectacular throws in the 2nd half today.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's my cold-weather quarterback.

Brook!, Billsfan1212 and Trainer like this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The eye test today tells me that I am happy we have Sam over Allen.

He can run for sure but too me he looks to run sometimes to quickly.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Looks good when the offense is somewhat opened up.

fggrimes and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sam did well, especially having to overcome the Bowles/Bates offense. He took the team on his back in the 2nd half. He made some mistakes, but given good coaching and a supporting cast, he's going to be very good.

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Eh ......if it wasn’t for the Bills special teams this game would’ve been a blowout. I’ll admit Allen takes off too quick......but outside of 2 throws by Darnold didn’t do much. Both looked like rookies.......didn’t come away from that game thinking I’d rather have one over the other.

13. ColoradoContrails

I can see why Bills fans would like having Allen, but I still prefer Darnold.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem with Allen is that aside from the running, where he's really good, he's really bad. Allen can still get better as a passer, but even if I weren't a Jets fan I'd prefer Darnold.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. BuffaloBills06

Understandable, but if the roles were reversed Bills fans would be happy with Darnold and Jets with Allen.

I came away from this game thinking both QB’s need oline help and recievers ..........2020 will be a very interesting year when evaluating these 2 quarterbacks.

16. BuffaloBills06

He’s not as bad a passer as you make him out to be. He’s inconsistent but he’s not a bad passer. I think with Allen people like to lean so far one way when evaluating him throwing the ball. His top 3 receivers consist of an undrafted rookie and 2 second year players. I’ll wait till the end of 2020 before deciding if he’s a bust or not.

17. ColoradoContrails

TBH, Allen was the only QB in the draft that I didn't want. I could see his huge potential, but also the huge risk that he'll never develop that passing ability that he needs to. I have to say off what I saw today, his passing seems better than I expected, and he can still improve, so if I were a Bills fan I would be happy he's on my team. But I would take Darnold over him.

westiedog1, Pepsiguy5 and barfolomew like this.
  18. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

Proud of Sam today especially on that last drive. Maybe this is the first of many battles between these two teams and qbs as they usher In a new era without Brady and the Pats winning the division every year. Who knows maybe this Miami miracle will signal the beginning of the end up there in Foxboro. How sad all the diehard Patriots fans who started rooting for them 6 years ago will be.

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone believes that Darnold lit it up out there or that he vastly outperformed Allen. Still, was a nice win for him on the road against a quality defense.