Top 5 Tight Ends

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FITM, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Welcome to the offseason.

#1 Tony Gonzalez- He is still the man. In 2004 everyone was amazed with Gates becuase he ermeged as a real TE threat. He was the new guy, that's it. In this same season Tony G put up a career best 1258 yards. But that was no surprise, so people didn't make any fuss. This guy is as consistent as it gets averaging about 1000 yards a year since 2000. He is the older guy, but he still does it best. Better in the run support too.

#2 Antonio Gates- The obvious next best in line. Hit 1000 yards for the first time last season. At 6-4 260, he is very nimble, and a beast in the redzone. Who wouldn't want a TE good for 10+ TDs a year? However don't look for Gates to keep tearing it up, or atleast don't be surprised if there's a slump. With Brees in NO, things might get tougher for him.

#3 Jeremy Shockey- Some my say overrated, I disagree. In fact I think that so many people talk about how overrated he is that now he's underrated becuase of it. So he slowed down for awhile after his rookie season (which was terrific). He was back in form last year being just shy of 900 yards. He also put up also tied for 2nd # of TDs, behind Gates with 7. He had the highest avg of any of the serious TEs with 13.7 yards a catch. People say "everyone thinks he's a top 5, but he's overrated" so than they comform to it and not put him there. He is a top 5 TE.

#4 Alge Crumpler- Pretty much Vicks only target and he's earned that. This guy is dependable. Not to mention a lot of mass (262 lbs) cramed into a small 6'2 package ( 6'5 is the elite TE size). He put up 877 yards last year and was on Shockey's tail with a 13.5 avg. He also gets a notch for health.

#5 Todd Heap- 855 yards last year. A 11.4 avg. And a 2nd highest 7 TDs to boot. What slotted him to 5 was health and consistency. Poor Heap however has never had a great QB too boost his numbers. Clayton and Mason can really open up the field for this guy if they get a real QB.

** On another note, all my TE's behind Tony G were also in the top 5 for plays of more than 20 yards. Showing great explosiveness and playmaking ability.

2. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

1. Antonio Gates
    2. Tony Gonzalez
    3. Todd Heap
    4. Jeremy Shockey
    5. Chris Cooley

Honorable Mention: Alge Crumpler, Jason Witten.

3. DonnieIsTheKing

Shockey is 3rd, 4th at worst.

He has 3,000 receiving yards and 17 TDs in 4 years. As a TE that missed 7 games in his second year that's excellent.

#23 DonnieIsTheKing, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  4. DonnieIsTheKing

Horrible list.

1, James Dearth
    2. Jumbo Elliot...(only as an eligble receiver lined up at TE)
    3. Chris Baker
    4. Joel "Cornbread" Dressen
    5. Doug Jolley

Thats better.

5. Keeprunning28

Keeprunning28 New Member

1) Gates
    2) Gonzalez
    3) Witten
    4) Heap
    5) Shockey
    *Algae Crumpler

6. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I put Shockey at #6 because he drops too many easy and or important catches and the fact that I don't like the way he acts but everyone know he is good.

7. DonnieIsTheKing

But he's the 3rd most productive TE in the league, and is nothing like a clubhouse cancer from what I hear. So he remains at 3 on my list.

8. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Most of the TEs on the lists could be moved around to any spot. If you look at the top 6 or 7 TEs they are very close.

9. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Yea, after Tony G and Gates, the rest can be shifted. It's like that in most groups. WRs, you have TO, Moss, and Marvin. RB, you have LT and Alexander. QB you have Brady and Manning. There is usually the undeniable top and then the rest.

10. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

1. Gates
    2. Gonzalez
    3. Shockey
    4. Witten
    5. Cooley

11. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

1. Gates
    2. Gonzalez
    3. Shockey