Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Does anyone think there is even the slightest chance that Houston wanted to go to an immediate SB contender? Or do you guys just think that Mac can just pick who he wants when he wants?

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Folks want to think players are Jet fans.

They aren’t.

They’ll make decisions based on their own wants and desires.

Attackett likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we just signed mosely to 17 mil a year, we also have mclendon who is 32, trumaine is making 12 mil a year and is in year 6-7 IIRC, adams and leo are relatively young but both also leaders as well. veteran presence doens't mean they have to be 30+ plenty of veterans who are in the mid 20s in the NFL

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Houston was not necessary. He's 30, and they can draft edge rusher.

Apparently Wisniewski turned down the Jets because he didn't think it was a good fit. I guess it's all about Sullivan now.

5. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Exactly ......the average fan has no idea what goes on behind closed doors . Hell it was just reported the other day the Jets were in on Smith and the decision came down between the Jets and Packers. We had no idea the Jets were one of the final two teams nobody knew Mac was in on him.

As far as Houston goes maybe Mac did want him but the feeling wasn’t mutual . He is 30 after all time is short and maybe he is just looking for a championship run at this point . On paper the Colts are closer .

The Jets will get a fine pass rusher if they stay at # 3.....

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

At this point it MUST be Sullivan as a 1 year stop gap. The way they've handled this center situation is outright embarrassing. Especially after what transpired last year with Long

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Was Houston ever even considered? I never heard a single thing linking him to the Jets myself. Maybe Maccagnan didn't want him

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because he's an effing moron.

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree. You don't go into the draft having to draft a player at a position of need. Doing it at two positions should get his ass fired.

Houston would not only have given the Jets flexibility in the draft, but the young edge rusher we drafted could learn a lot from him. On passing downs, the OLBs could have been Houston and the draft pick, and Jenkins could sit. There are a number of reasons why signing Houston, Shaq Barrett or some other quality edge rusher was important and necessary, and Mac blew it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion. I just think it's a little different when you are sitting at #3 overall and are near guaranteed to get a beast like Bosa/Allen who will start on day 1. It is not like leaving center empty and trying to address it in the 3rd round (which I hope does not happen).

Long term success is determined by the draft, not FA, IMO. Edge rusher will most likely also be BPA at the time so it is not like they would be reaching for a need, so what real extra flexibility is there in the draft? They can get Q Williams or trade down, I guess, but then they could possibly miss out on a monster Edge guy that would lock the position down for the next 5 years at minimum.

Edge rusher is just one of those positions that I feel is best addressed in the draft.

#1711 Sam Hammer, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. And why aren't all of these draft expects talking about these "Centers and Franchise LT's" as top 3 draft picks?

Oh yea. That's right. Maybe, just maybe...

these edge rushers at a position of need are THE TRUTH.

To trade away from Bosa or Allen is LAUGHABLE! To run away from our edge rusher who's been missing for decade plus. Laughable.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

To think you can only get top end talent at top of the draft.. LAUGHABLE..To think Allen or Bosa are sure things...LAUGHABLE

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good point..and I agree

But now that Mac has flubed FA Edge R and OL ...on a positive note statistically you have like a 60 % better chance of picking a long term player from the draft in round one esp in top 10

OTOH I want a trade down per NCs specs...as it stands now at least one, Bosa or Allen will be off the board and we are in desperation mode

Mac has grabbed Sam D L Bell and J Crowder with no protection/blocking in place...smart man

He traded for Osemble ...maybe he thinks someone good will get cut during TC/ Preseason too

Guy is still a very Average GM

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While we are on the subject of LAUGHABLE, the expectation that every time a name pops up in free agency, all Mac needs to do is snap his finger and throw money at him....well, that is about as LAUGHABLE as it gets. Players have desires and personal interests that override decisions solely based on money, and even if it was just money, we will be the first to shit all over Mac if he overpaid in our minds. You win some you lose some. We are not the only game in town and far from the most desirable destination right now.
    To me the one position that is still open and in desperate need of reinforcement prior to the draft is C. That is a problem. The C to me is the natural extension and the first protector of the QB and should have been a top priority. Unfortunately, we don't know what the issue was with Paradis. The picking was slim and now we are looking at converted positions, plus hopefully new blood in the draft. Not an ideal situation.
    I might be very naïve, but right now feel more comfortable GOING INTO THE DRAFT, trade or not, with the expectation of getting one pass rusher that will satisfy our needs.
    The results of this draft will really set the report card grade for Mac, so he better hit some winners on the first three. Final cuts might round up some minor holes.

16. NCJetsfan

We are in total agreement that long-term success is determined by the draft, not FA. That's why I think that unless Mac demonstrates that he can find talent in rounds 2-4 this year, he should be fired, regardless of what he has done in FA and with the cap. We will never build a contender hitting only on 1st round picks that fall to him and then spending a bunch of money in FA. Sooner or later all those big FA contracts are going to have us up against the cap with little or no space.

I also agree that the C and OLB positions are a little different because there could be two great pass rushers sitting there at #3 and it's also possible that the Jets could trade down in the first and still get a very good pass rusher, whereas there are no great C prospects in the draft. That said, what if Bosa and Allen go 1-2 in the draft and no team is willing to trade up for Murray and/or Haskins? It will be a nightmare. Mac will undoubtedly take Q. Williams, we'll still have no edge rusher, and no 2nd round pick, and then in typical Jets luck, both Bradbury and Jenkins will go in round 2, and maybe even McCoy and the Jets will be left holding the bag with no starting-caliber C and no elite edge pass rusher.

I don't want Q. Williams under any circumstances. I don't think he's a good fit, I think he at best would be a luxury pick, and at worst, a wasted pick, and he won't really make the team any better. If Bosa and Allen go 1-2 and no team wants to trade up, I hope that Mac will reach for Brian Burns or Jawaan Taylor and tell Q. Williams to suck it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I don't think that anyone on this board has or had the expectation that every time a name pops up in FA, that all Mac needs to do is snap his fingers and throw money at him. I think that is a strawman argument that someone threw out there.

As you said, however, considering how important the C position is, considering how important it is to keep Sam upright and healthy, and considering the black hole the C position has been for the last 3-4 seasons, C should have been the #1 priority. Mac should have identified some C out there that could have been an upgrade and gone after him. We know that he didn't even make Paradis or Morse an offer, so that isn't a matter that they just didn't want to sign with the Jets. It's a matter that the C position wasn't a priority to Mac. He obviously thought he could just draft some schmuck in the 3rd round, throw him out there and he'd be OK. John Sullivan was the 3rd best C prospect available in FA, and as far as we know, Mac hasn't even spoken with him or his agent. He brought Wisniewski in, but either Wisniewski didn't want to sign with the Jets or Mac didn't make him an offer. Supposedly, he expressed interest in Brett Jones of the Vikings, but has made no concrete offer to him, either. What in the heck is he waiting on? IMO no competent GM or one in his right mind counts on a TC cut to fill the 2nd most important position on the OL. If that's what he's doing, I hope that Sam hires a mafioso to kneecap Mac.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I would argue both tackles then LG then RG are more important than center

Attackett and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Can you explain your reasoning? From my POV, the most direct route to the QB is a straight line, meaning through the Center. In fact, many DC's are turning towards interior pass rushes to disrupt and/or sack the QB. This is actually the most effective defense against Brady. Coupled with that, the C first has to successfully snap and hand off the ball to the QB before he can even begin to block, this making his job even more difficult. Finding someone who can do all this well isn't easy, which means that when you do find someone capable you hang onto them; conversely if don't have someone capable, you've got a big hole to fill. Just look at the Jets and the farce of Spencer Long and how that crippled the offense and Sam's development.

With all that said, why do say C is the least important OL?

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Because the guards are the ones with the one on one block in the scenario you presented. The pressure up the middle isnt bowling over the center, they beat the guards. The center will slide over to helpo the guards, its not the guards helping the center

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.