Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

We missed out on one of our formers :p

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I would much rather have DeMarcus Lawrence for the same price if both are available, because that's what Bell is going to cost.

I never said he wasn't talented, I never said he wouldn't improve a team. What I actually said was he's an idiot, and he's not worth sacrificing either a top edge rusher or three other positions for. I stand by those remarks.

If it's between the O-line revamp we desperately need and Bell, I'm going O-line. Beachum we can live with another year maybe two, same with Winters, but Shell might be done, Long sucked even when healthy, and Carp is gone. Besides, none of them can run block for shit so an addition of two O-linemen is a bare necessity.

Secondly to that need is edge. Now moving to a 4-3 base this need is bigger than ever with having to rely more on talent and 1v1 matchups rather than scheming guys into position (not that we've seen much of that in 4 years).

If we can address these needs and still have enough leftover for Bell... sure, why not. But only then does it make sense.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I believe in second chances but I don't believe Hunt is worth the trouble.

Let him get his second chance someplace else.

Get Bell.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

Pittsburgh made the playoffs/AFC Championship game with him.

Without him they missed the playoffs.

Dude is a diffence maker.

5. WarriorRB28

Even when he was healthy he sucked.

macbk likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's hard to know how much of a difference he would have made since Conner had a pretty good year and Samuels too when Conner was injured, but it is a valid point. Last year they went (13-3) and the #2 seed with Bell. This year (9-6-1) and missed the playoffs without him. He was missed.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Who will be available? That's the real question

No to Bell and the other ding dong Antonio Brown ...both Greatness with BAD attitude...pass

In General it's better to get FAs that are on the young side say no older than 26

That said D Lawrence is the guy we should sign ..stinking with my guns to get your Edge Rusher needs in FA

Don't forget guys Mike Macagnan is at the Controls with all that dough to play with...???

He's a grade C minus GM who scored on getting Teddy B for us and Avery W last FA but unwisely spent $ on Trumaine J and Spencer So Long (who needs ya? Ahah)

Better listen to his new brain trust Gase/Williams instead of the usual darts at the Board

8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Antonio Brown is a total d**khead and dumb as a rock. Not looking for that type of personality that will cause Division. Sustainable success comes with team chemistry. Not everyone needs to be selfless, but no selfish divas who throw footballs at the QB in anger and skip practice right before a critical week.

La'veon Bell talks a too much for a guy asking $100 Mil too. As soon as this guy gets his guaranteed money, he's gonna half ass it.

#108 Jetsruby, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    TonyFtLaud, Kris 15 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Trumaine was the #1 consensus FA available by some people last year and universally though of as a good signing. No one saw it coming after how dominant he was in LA. Not gonna blame Macc for something we all thought was good as well at the time. He made the right move, it just didn't work out.

jonnyd, LAJet, Mr mittens and 2 others like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

So Trumaine morphed into another lazy Mo W? Yes that could be since so many players regressed under Toilet Todd

As I recall I was excited about this signing too but at the same time knew Mac , per usual, was way overpaying for this guy..and part of me saying this better be a home run. Right wrong or in between Mac makes big financial blunders starting with Mevi$ Mo Fitz etc.

My prediction is our GM will be the kid loose in the candy store this Off S and that 100 Mil will go like water

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well the bulls eye is on Mac now so he better plan this off season accordingly.....I think he slightly overspent on Johnson however I predict an improvement in Johnson's play under Williams this coming year. If Mac can find a way to get a guy like Lawrence in here, another CB, a skill player - RB or WR even if it's not Bell and maybe a solid guard or center then he's done well. The rest of the money should be the lesser tier guys and some of our own FAs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

Up till now, the Jets have not understood how to build an offense for the past 8 years.Because we focus on bad D players we have been miles behind the rest of the League. The only way out of the cellar is to start doing things differently. My first question would be is there a better OL than that scrub Long to pick up in FA. The draft like you said should be more of the same focus.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It remains to be seen if there are any good OL worth the money they want in FA. If we could replace the entire OL with better players I'd vote spending the FA money on that over Bell, but most teams have or will lock up their good OL FAs so, that's why the draft is where these have to be found. That means that the FA focus should be on the pass rusher(s) we need, and a stud RB/WR, which is why Bell makes a lot of sense. That said, I have concerns about his commitment, but having sat out a year to prove his point, I'd bet he's going to be plenty committed to making a statement.

Bottom line: If an OL upgrade can be signed, do it. If a stud pass rusher or two can be had, do it. If Bell is attainable, do it.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Unless they plan on shifting Long to LG he is toast. The Jets will have a new center in '19. They will probably try to steal Mitch Morse from the Chiefs or maybe Paradis. If not I like Alabama's center who should be there in the third round.

I'm gonna say 4 major FA signings probably two each for offense and defense ( not counting the lesser fill in the gap guys ). As for the draft I'd still lean towards BPA at that point. If Bosa or Allen are on the board at # 3 and the Jets don't trade down then select one of those guys to pair with their EDGE FA signing. Plenty of decent RBs, guards and centers available for the third and fourth rounds.....draft where the talent is. If no decent OTs are available in FA or the draft when the Jets pick don't force it. Beechum and Shell at OK for now.....fix other positions that are looking worse.

#114 mrjet80, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    wewantsapp, KurtTheJetsFan and Noam like this.
  15. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

google Kareem Hunt's family history...

16. WarriorRB28

Have some success first then worry about how to maintain it.

17. WarriorRB28

I'm looking at Antonio Brown's production WOW!!!

Simply awesome. This guy is well on his way to a HOF type career he's that good. The Jets should definately consider trading for him I don't see how he hurts Darnold he can only help.

His age doesn't scare me because the Jets are a win now team anyway.

I wouldn't put much stock in how it ended for him in Pittsburgh or what the Pittsburgh mudslinging machine says. What I've read leads me to believe Big Ben was VERY disrespectful towards him.

Add him & Bell.

The Steelers have internal problems now. When a organization alienates, speaks badly about three of their best, most productive players Harrison, Bell, Brown in such a short time span there are major problems there.

PJ4Ever and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's one artticle:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...reem-hunt-family-criminal-history/2289525002/

The kid has had to overcome a lot, but being surrounded by so much criminal activity and lifestyle, it's bound to have affected and shaped his attitudes. It's asking a lot to believe that he can overcome all that, but who knows? He seems to have been able to stay clear of most of it, and his sports career probably has been a big help in that, keeping him focused on that instead. Can this latest consequence snap him back to realizing what's most important, or is he destined to follow the rest of his family in the end?

I wouldn't throw him on scrap heap yet, and after he completes whatever steps are demanded by the NFL and any authorities, I'd be willing to give him a chance.

jilozzo likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I at least assume there is no chance the Jets add both Brown AND Bell but I'm going to be honest. That seems like one of those deals that just seems so wrong, stupid, and impossible at first glance it'd probably be a smashing success. If those guys both came here and were motivated to be their best for whatever reason? Carnation instant offense. I can't even imagine the media frenzy/fan interest angle either if that actually started to get real momentum.

"stealing" two all-pro type offensive stalwarts like that under crazy circumstances and putting them on another team together I assume would be completely unprecedented in NFL history.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

As long as Bell scores TDs and moves the chains i dont care about his attitude

In the words of the most playoff winning coach in Jets history
    "This is New York you spend to the cap!!"

(Rex for the idiots who dont know who the most playoff winning Jets coach is)God i wish he was still here sometimes.