Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

From what I've read about the draft , supposedly the C position is stacked... if this is true, I'm hoping we can address our 2 biggest positions of need (Edge rusher, Center) in the draft and not overpay for older talent .
    This is not to say I wouldn't go after a pass rusher like Flowers or ,to a lesser extent, Fowler but I don't want us overpaying a lesser talent because of need.

Trading back to recoup a 2nd rounder would be an ideal situation but not out of the top 10... ideally i'd love to stay in the 6-8 range.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what about Brandon Marshall.... the other Brandon Marshall. The Broncos are releasing him and once upon a time he was a solid OLB in the 4-3 system when Denver ran that

3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He'll be 30 by the time the season starts and will probably be looking at $8-10 mil per year. Not sure we want to be spending that much on an LB that won't have that much of an impact on the pass rush.

Poole is a guy that I can easily see getting overpaid by a desperate team. He's a good story, but I'm not paying him much more than low-level starter money if I'm a GM.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

If we're going to spend big money on a LB, its gotta be Jordan Hicks or CJ Mosley. That would allow Williamson to slide over to the Sam backer position where he's a better fit due to speed limitations.

I'm not against signing Poole, but I'd prefer resigning Darryl Roberts first. He was probably our best corner last year and was solid when they used him at safety as well.

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My revised free agent list:

1 - C Matt Paradis

2 - G Roger Saffold

3 - RB Tevin Coleman

4 - DE Trey Flowers or Dante Fowler (If Clowney or Lawrence are available, give one of them the key to the city)

5 - OLB Anthony Barr (If Mosley is available, make him a copy of the key to the city)

#446 PennyandtheJets, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    BradysTornACL and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Paradis I like. Little worried about injuries but be really good for us for a few years.

Saffold completely agree. I'd be a little nervous about because of age and some injuries. But if we know it's for a year or two and draft someone to devlop I'm ok with it. Wonder if he leaves LA being older. Sometimes it's easier to stay home and take less.

As much as I'd love Bell Coleman would be a great 2nd option. Veteran who is a good piece to an offense. Would love that.

Trey Flowers would be a great addition. Age is perfect. The fact that he can play number positions on the line and we take him away from the Patriots many positives. Fear of overpaying and Patriot players being not as good once they leave. Fear he might follow Patricia or Flores.

Barr is the perfect under the radar type signing. He's had an up down career. Has had good production. If used properely could be an impactful player. Type of free agent signing I like. March 13th can't get here soon enough.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  8. PennyandtheJets

Prior to this season, Paradis started all 16 games the prior 3 seasons. Broken leg is a concern on a big body dude though, but if he medically checks out, he is definitely worth the investment.

I also agree with you that if the Jets were able to sign OLineman in free agency, it should not stop them from drafting more this season.

9. BrowningNagle

Late at night, swooning, I have dreams about Jadeveon Clowney rushing the passer in a Jets uniform but I don't wanna get my hopes up :(. I'd rather have him than ANY of the potential available free agent talents. and I mean any

10. PennyandtheJets

He would be perfect in a 4-3. Lawrence and Clowney are on even ground for me, but either one would be amazing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Lawrence would be great as well.

But J.D. Clowney is going to bust out in the coming years. I'm telling ya. I can't say it enough. It took him a little while to adjust in college as well. He is on the verge of becoming an elite pass rusher. They are using him wrong in Houston!!! Playing the 3-4 edge? Going out in pass coverage???? WTF are they doing. He was born to have his hand in the dirt and rush the passer, its God-given. Sign him and play him at DE on the line and tell him to get after the Quarterback. period. He will be a 15 sacks type player

Idk if he's going to shake free to free agency but just once I'd love to see the Jets sign a guy on the verge of breaking out than waiting until they are on the downslide and paying a huge contract like they always do

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Really like this list. This paired with Allen at 3 (if we can't trade down) and Montgomery in the 3rd. I'd substitute Williams from SD with Barr if money gets tight and that would make a great offseason in my book (since I projected Allen at 3)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Le’Veon Bell posted a photo on his instagram and accidentally in the corner of the photo were some rolled up joint papers.

Not a good look for the guy who’s already been suspended multiple times and still wants some team to give him $15+ mil annually

jilozzo likes this.
  14. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw this earlier. I say we stay clear of dopey, speed most on the O line get Sam protection and we can draft a RB in the third if we don't use that for AB or in the fourth. He's too much of a headache sadly but a great player.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

With the release of Pennel yesterday I think the Jets tipped their hand a little of what they want to do in freee agency. I think they take a swing at Bell and will settle for the constolation prize of Coleman. I also think they sign a receiver like Tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries. They'll sign an few under the radar type corners to fill in for need and after those few moves the rest of free agency will be spent on both the offensive and defensive lines. I think the Jets are expecting two to three starters on the line from free agency.

Current OL: Beachum (best as swing tacklet at this point), Winters (average player doesn't move the needle), no center, no left guard and Shell (how does he recover from injury?) I think at least two starters are signed and a few depth pieces.

Current DL: Leonard Williams, Foley Fatukasi and Nathan Shephard: Again at least two or three starters and a bunch of depth.

It'll be an interesting offseason and a fun one to watch. Looking forward to seeing this new team.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We need flowers as the top priority.
    Give me a line of Williams flowers Shepherd and josh Allen.
    That’s a pretty versatile line that can move around and mask fronts.

NYJFOREVER and almbleamal like this.
  17. Somehow someway we’ll completely disregard offensive skill & will spend the whole offseason on Defense(Again) & OL.

Having respectable playmakers on offense & scoring points is simply not in the cards for this team.Ever.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

2015 we were top ten in point, yards, points per game...all that shit. But historically we are terrible

19. W Ryan Fitzpatrick ,Old Brandon Marshall & Decker right before his decline

It was flukie & the following year deteriorated to crap bc it wasnt the least bit sustainable.

But it does show that when the team actually emphasizes playmaking skill like it did w the signing iof Decker & trading for Bmarsh that it actually does have a nice return in terms of scoring points.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Which means we have to draft our playmakers. Best case scenario, IMO, is we trade down from 3 and use a recouped 2nd rounder on a WR or RB, then use one of our 3rds on the position we didn't take in round 2. I assume Edge will be the round 1 pick as there's no skill player worth taking where we pick even in a trade down.