Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The offseason is always full of surprises so who knows. In the meantime, go Birmingham Iron!

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's the typical thought process of the Jets and their fans. Why go after a future HoF talent, which by the way rarely hits FA? Let's just pray that we hit on a 7th round RB that can turn into an All-Pro. It's maddening that there actually people that want to go after cheaper options like Ingram and Coleman who couldn't hold Bell's jockstrap. Let's just surround our franchise QB with B and C level talent and continue to pray that UDFA like Deontay Burnett can become a superstar.

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

This is legitimate. The price is likely a 1st, even with the age difference.

I think pick 2 or 3 might be too much. Perhaps the Jets could strike a deal, the reverse of last years trade, and move back in draft while picking up extra picks. Then trade away that 1st rounder.

4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised I haven't seen much Brandon Graham in this thread...older player but still a top tier pass rusher and could really help the transition to a 4-3. I'd imagine the asking price wont be anywhere near Clowney, Lawrence and Flowers cause of his age.

The focus in free agency should be to grab a top tier player or two and then plug holes with serviceable starters. That will free us up to take BPA in the draft.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bell is a perfect fit for us except for the voice in the back of my head that says once we pay him, he'll dog it like Wilkerson, Revis, etc. If Gase commands his respect and we start winning, then this won't be a problem. But if things go sour early, that contract is going to suck going forward.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This.

Don’t want to spend the $$ on him but if we sign him I’ll be extremely excited but I’m worried he’ll dog it if things turn south.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is something that will be showing up in every thread for at least a year. His brief history in Miami does not make this very promising but people are supposed to learn from their mistakes. While I'll take a wait and see attitude, I'd expect the guy spending the money to have more insight and use that to safeguard the treasure chest. If that means passing on an expensive guy with a strong history of lacking a "team" outlook, so be it.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think we will have to worry about that. I don't think the Jets will sign him

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we don't sign him because he chose another team's offer, then that's fine. If we don't sign him because we didn't make the most competitive offer possible then the entire front office should be fired.

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. I kinda feel the opposite.With the most $,young QB, & the fact he grew up a Jets fan if he doesnt take our offer than players still think the jets are incompetent fools.

I didnt want Cousins & it worked out for the better but the sequel of that w Bell would be a terrrible sign.

11. BroadwayAaron

I wouldn't blame him even a little bit for choosing the Colts over us, although I don't think they'd make a huge offer. Even Tampa if they can clear the space would be acceptable... Bruce Arians and a talented QB that needs some guidance plus Mike Evans.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

13. BroadwayAaron

Depends on the money. He's a 30-year-old WR coming off his worst season in 5 years. I know the trade played part in that, as did playing for a bad Lions team, but still we need to be cautious spending on Tate. As a player, I'd love him here.

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Tate is a hell of a football player and a nice fit. It would be a damn good signing

15. Tate would be a short term move for a team not ready to contend.

Im only interested in players here for at least 3 years & not on the wrong side of 30.

Sends the wrong message & doesnt help us in any way when we’re hopefully ready to contend.

Pass.

Id rather have Tyrell Williams,randall cobb or Funchess

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Isn't he really used in the slot? We have an already locked-up Enunwa for that.

Williams, yes. Funchess, maybe. Cobb? Nah.

17. BroadwayAaron

I don't think Tate will have an issue playing at age 33, but regardless I don't think we should be looking at it that way. We need Sam to develop, which is why we need to put the best possible players around him. If Tate helps him develop for the next two years then he's served a great purpose.

I'm a proponent of signing Tyrell Williams but what do you do with Robby... trade him? Let him walk next year and hope for a good compensatory pick the following year? I'm not opposed to trading him btw, just pointing out that you could be looking at a Tate/Robby combo or just Tyrell replacing Robby and then we're hoping we land another impact WR.

18. Im hoping RA & Tyrell could co exist given that Sam loves throwing outside the numbers including deep. You can do alot w those 2 taking tops off the D.To your point however are their enough balls to go around? Might be worth a shot to play to Sam’s strengths.This also would open up the underneath stuff

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Money?

Likely John Abraham too.

So the Jets suck at drafting and even when they hit on a pick they don't properly evaluate their own players let them walk.

But yeah let's "build through the draft" ignore free agency.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

BTW build through the draft is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

EVERY team does that.

Sure some teams may trade a draft pick or future pick for something they want but every year every team gets a new full collection of draft picks. Duh.