Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That is the guy I want as well. Tevin Coleman would be great.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I mean don't get me wrong. If the Jets sign Bell I will not at all be mad about it. I just don't think they are going to dump that kind of money on an RB when they can build an effective committee in the vein of our coaches approach.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And we didn't win a SB because our DRAFTED QB couldn't say healthy, he was the most important piece of that offense w/out him the offense wasn't nearly the same. 2007 Giants, Eli Manning and Justin Tuck were the main leaders of that team. They were also DRAFTED.

The only non-sense I see is your reply to my post.

FJF likes this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

Correct. To suggest that teams can just choose, "We will be great at the draft" OR "We will be great at Free Agency" is nonsense.

It takes balance. You need to hit in free agency, draft, trades, etc.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well I don't think they choose either way. To do so would mean they choose to be bad at one and nobody does that. Everyone is trying to be great at both the draft and free agency. McCagnan thought he was making a big move when he drafted Hackenberg AND when he signed Ryan Fitzpatrick in free agency.

The league has changed by the way, given the rookie pay scale, more veteran players are shaking loose. Free agency is as big as it ever has been in terms of its value and our Jets have as much money as they've ever had. McCagnan better get good at free agency like now... or he will be back scouting college players under some other GM

6. PennyandtheJets

They don't choose. That was exactly my point.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Coleman is the best possible backup plan to Bell, but in no way shape or form should the plan be to target Coleman OVER Bell. Not even close to the same impact on an offense and there's a big disparity in talent too.

Also, although Gase isn't a good head coach... you'd like to think RBBC goes out the window if you sign a top 3 RB in the league.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's honestly mind boggling to me that people would rather us sign Coleman or Ingram instead of Bell. Just shows me who actually knows what they're talking about on this board.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well Bell is obviously the better player by a wide margin. But Coleman is going to want something along the lines of Jerrick McKinnon last year, 4 years, $30 million., ~$7.5 per year and he might not get that. Ingram has been playing for around $4 mill annually and he might not get that, given his age. Le'Veon Bell on the other hand, turned down $14.5 million from the Steelers. he is going to cost way more than those other guys.

I think when people say they would prefer others, they are factoring in the contracts in their opinion. When you think of it that way, its not so mind boggling

10. BroadwayAaron

It makes it more mind boggling to me. We have over $100 mil to spend which means you could give Bell, the best player available in free agency since I don’t even know who, the money he wants and still have plenty to spend in areas of need. And that’s not even taking into consideration the structure of the contract. We also have a potential franchise QB making peanuts for the next three years in an era where no contract has big guaranteed money beyond the third year. Everything about our situation screams Leveon Bell.

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  11. PennyandtheJets

Ah...you know better than all of us because you say so? That is pretty mind boggling too.

I would prefer Tevin Coleman over Bell. That does not mean I do not know what I am talking about. It is my opinion.

Spending massive amounts of money on a free agent RB who has touched the ball as much as Bell has is a bad idea if you ask me. (Notice how I didn't insult your intelligence with this comment?)

#391 PennyandtheJets, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  12. We all chose to be jet fans so i guess in some ways none of us are very smart:)

I think for me i get frustrated bc some folks dont want Bell bc theyd rather try to “plug holes” w that portion of the cap space & continue to try to build a team on paper like it’s a baseball team.

This teams biggest issue is impact players at impact positions. They Desperately need someone who can take over a game,make plays out of nothing & give the opposition someone to worry about & have to gameplan against..to me that outweighs filling needs at specific positions.

At least offensively other than Bell that player doesnt exist in this FA pool.So forget the risks associated w bell for a second..those are real concerns & a whole different matter. Its maddening to hear folks turn a blind eye to an actual gamechanger for B or C level players that do nothing but plug imaginery holes & create false hope. This is not a new concept w this fan base..nobody ever wants the marquee player & would rather avoid risk & do things the hard way. Is adam humphries,tevin coleman & trent brown really better than Bell? I gotta say..i dont think so.

50 years of outsmarting ourselves & doing things the hard way w the worst scouting & team architecture in sports.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Do you think Bell would sign for 5/85 with the first 3 years guaranteed? I know he's great, but we also have holes at Edge and OL that need to be addressed.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I assume Mac will be able to get us 1-2 top free agents simply because we have a lot of cap space. I am more interested in the mid-tier guys he is going to bring here. We need more pieces that wont cost too much and he needs to find the value picks, which he has shown more in his late round draft trades than on the free agent market.

15. No idea what the market will be for Bell but Mac has already painted himself into a corner w no center or LG on the roster.

So chances are Bell is unrealistic bc we cant have nice things. We’ll sign B level OL no better or worse than spencer & will continue to have embarassingly bad skill which Will continue to get a pass bc folks think OL is the be all end all

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Count me in the group that thinks OL and skill players need to be upgraded. Not an either or thing IMO.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

Speaking of skill positions, Antonio Brown has officially requested/demanded a trade from the Steelers.

This is the player I would go after. Brown turns 31 this July and he would be huge for Sam. I think he has 3 years remaining on his deal. Would be awesome to see Sam throwing to a legit WR1.

I am not sure what the trade compensation would be, but they aren't going to get a 1st round pick from anyone.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

If Amari Cooper got the Raiders a first, Antonio Brown is going to get the Steelers a first. I can easily see the Niners giving up theirs.

FJF likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

Brown is clearly the better player, but the age and apparent locker room troubles he is causing will be the issue. I have been wrong before, but I don't see the Steelers getting a 1st.

20. BroadwayAaron

I wouldn't personally give up a first but I can easily see another team doing it. Brown is still a top 3 WR in the league, I can't see any way in which the Steelers don't get one.

CotcheryFan and PennyandtheJets like this.