Top 5 defense, for sure

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barcs, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Loving Rex to be honest

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Something missing here? A link? A video?

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

When you put it that way, sure is hard to argue they aren't.....

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Great thread topic,very strong insight

Jets69 likes this.
  5. FabulousDisaster

FabulousDisaster New Member

It's a shame about the secondary....we're so strong up front that I feel we're wasting that talent with the lack of corners. DRC was the guy, they should have reeled him in.

GoldenShowers and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

BIG time pet peeve of mine, the "to be honest" colloquialism.

I don't remember this being a common phrase until the last couple years. Now everyone has to add that to every statement. I see it all the time. It's unnecessary and really stupid. I especially hate when it's in a phrase that isn't profound.

--As in "You know, to be honest, I really like M&M's..." (oh that's great - as if I gave a shit if you were being honest or not about your candy choice!!!!!)

I have started to not trust folks that use "to be honest" a lot. To me that says that aren't honest a lot if they need to add that qualifier. Or worse, that they are about to feed me a line of bullshit wrapped in a "to be honest" package.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I used to use that phrase years ago. I should've patented the damn term lol And then I was speaking with an executive recruiter about 4 years ago and I used it on him. He then told me something similar to what you're saying about not believing if someone's honest or full of shit because they have to use that qualifying phrase before a statement. That really stuck with me for some reason. I don't think it's awful if someone uses it but it definitely makes me question what they're about to say, sometimes.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"And all that stuff...." <----another Rex colloquialism.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Yup someone once told me anyone who uses "honestly" or "let me be honest" or "to be honest" is a jackal liar.

In other news, I think the Jets D is going to be great! :)

#9 JetsVilma28, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Jets69 likes this.
  10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Another thing Rex says that puts me off is how he says "no question about it" often describing something about which there are in fact very many questions to be raised.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I would love to think we could have a top 5 D, but with the secondary issues I just don't see it. I see us getting burned by short-medium range passes to slot receivers and TE's all year. I believe we'll have a top 3 D against the run, but near the bottom in pass defense.

12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I used to tell people "Happy Birthday" on the anniversary of their births. Just to be nice.

Now there's a freakin' song about it.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Teehee. This was a parody of the "top 5 defense my arse" thread, BTW.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When you have to explain a joke, you probably suck at telling them.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's satire, not a joke.

You've been on my ass lately, and not in a good way. Hey how about those Bengals playing so well in 2010? LMAO! Even I wouldn't make a claim that stupid.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Top of the line rush defense. Pass rush will be solid but not great. Pass defense looks like shit so far but when guys get back healthy and the presence of the rookie Pryor I think well be better then last season against the pass. If the stars align some what I think we have a real good chance at being top 5.

17. abyzmul

Your entire post history is stupid claims. You aren't a stupid person, but damn, guy, your existence on this forum is almost nothing but stupid claims. Maybe you should start a thread with a poll asking how many people don't think you're a negligible joke as a poster. The results, I am sure, would surprise you.

Some people start out here not knowing shit about football (you), but they actually make an effort to improve their knowledge to contribute to the forum (not you). You seem content not to improve yourself, which is a shame.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Because appeal to popularity isn't a fallacy or anything. I don't give a shit what you or others think. I didn't come here to make friends, or say the politically correct thing on every topic out there. I came here to discuss football. I don't make stupid claims. I give people a perspective that isn't run of the mill. Sometimes my opinions are controversial, but that doesn't make them wrong. Football itself is bigger than the drama that surrounds it. I care about game itself, not petty whining and bullshit. You are here to troll others. 90% of your posts are off topic and belong in the BS section.

LMAO at saying I don't know shit about football. You got schooled in your last encounter with me on football. I just don't believe in bashing players and insulting coaches for everything that ever goes wrong. I dunno if it's a NY thing or a Jets fans thing but negativity is everywhere on here and I try to steer people away from that, because it brings everybody down. If that makes me an idiot or homer in your eyes, then so be it. I'll be that. It doesn't phase me, just don't question my football knowledge while making idiotic claims about the Bengals having a great year in 2010.

#18 Barcs, Aug 20, 2014
  19. abyzmul

Jesus you are fucking delusional. Me forgetting what year the Thanksgiving game was is you schooling me?

Barcs, don't equate peoples' opinion of you with learning about the game, which you haven't bothered doing since you started posting here.

You didn't come here to discuss football. You came here to relentlessly defend a football team with sarcasm and a lack of understanding for the game.

If you really think you do understand football, challenge my knowledge. Do anything to display that your reason to be here is not to try to shame the fanbase into unconditionally supporting the team.

You haven't won or lost a football argument because you have never really been in one. I'm starting to wonder if you even understand what a football argument is.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I shit on you with that nonsense about Ground and Pound holding the team back. Not just the Bengals thing. That was icing on the cake. Like I said, personally insulting me is not an argument, yet it's all people like you can seem to do. You wanna talk football, fine. Put the fucking insults aside and let's talk. One thing I learned while taking debating classes is that when an opponent resorts to insults and distractions rather than the actual points and counterpoints themselves, they are getting desperate. Virtually every debate I'm on here has resulted in this, whether it's religion, abortion, Rex Ryan mythology, or defending players against insults from a generally angry fanbase. I generally win arguments, and people don't like it and make up this imaginary profile that I'm always wrong, despite them using multiple fallacies, personal insults and outright lies to "argue" their viewpoint.

I'll copy this down here because I edited it in after the fact in the post above:

The only claim I've ever really been wrong about in regards to football is when I mistook the read option for WC option last year. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost an argument since, including my defense of Santonio Holmes that highlighted dozens of quotes about how great a teammate he was and how much charity work he has done, and my defense of Rex Ryan from silly myths like, "He's only loyal to vets", and "only cares about defense". I constantly get insulted over my opinions on here and it's downright ridiculous. Stop perpetuating the ignorance. Surely you have examples of stupid claims I have made aside from simply being positive about the team's future, which for some reason is considered a bad thing on here.

The problem is that you ONLY remember my sarcastic posts when I defend players and coaches from insults. Everything else you ignore. But yeah, go ahead and paint your picture with the scenes that YOU see fit. Do you remember the front page article I wrote last year comparing Sanchez and Smith's college careers? Do you remember any of those posts I've made breaking down statistics or taking about various aspects of the game? Apparently you don't. You remember what you want to remember and what helps you with your agenda.

I don't go above and beyond for people that show no respect.

#20 Barcs, Aug 20, 2014
    Dreadmadseen likes this.