Tony Sporano Dies unexpectedly

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 88toon, Jul 22, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Thought he was simply a decent positional coach (not OC obviously) but a good motivator and a guy players like and play hard for. Sucks to hear. Still young. Also I recall when he was in Miami he lost a bunch of weight one off-season by working out.

Chest pains but released and boom...dead. Looks like they should've done some more thorough checking something was definitely about to blow.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not to be rude or anything, but I really hate when people constantly say too young or too soon. Children die of incurable virulent brain cancer or die in house fires (not that either one of those things happened to family or anyone I know - OK, they did). Sparano's family should be thankful they had him for 56 years, and I really wish people would embrace that idea and start seeing it that way. "My 20 year old son died playing chicken while drag racing!" The bottom line is you had that 20 year old idiot who lived 18 years longer than some poor child who died an agonizing death from Tay-Sachs. I really wish people would start putting such things in perspective when spitting out canned responses about death. "Too young" and "too soon" is a selfish mirror on our own mortality talking for the most part. Just being real and pointing out a truism.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  3. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Since I said it twice, I’ll assume this comment was pointed, at least in part, at me.

Do you know what I wish? I wish that people wouldn’t say, “Not to be rude,” when they really intend to be rude, or “no offense,” when they really mean to offend.

You know you’re about to be rude and offensive, so why not embrace it?

The bottom line is that any age is too young and any time is too soon to lose someone. It’s a part of life, and we all know that.

I didn’t know Tony personally, and he may have been an asshole in real life for all I know. I am personalizing his loss. So what?

Life is all any of us have really got, and it doesn’t last long. It seems to me that whether some is 18 months, or 96 years old when they die, however they die, their life was too short, and they died too soon.

I usually enjoy reading your posts. No offense, and not to be rude, but this one is really a dumb one.

4. jetophile

^It was absolutely not aimed at you at all, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. It's just a sentiment that I see everywhere that sometimes wears thin and I honestly don't see anything wrong with what I said. I understand what you're trying to convey, like when people say mean things and then veil it and get away with it by hiding behind, "Hey, what's your deal? I was only kidding!" I actually really hate that, and it's a bully's favorite tool, but I in no way did any such thing. I agree that the death of anyone you care for never seems like enough time, but perhaps you should re-visit what I wrote.

5. jetophile

Not for nothin', but Sparano's name was spelled wrong in two different thread titles and it was spelled wrong the same way. I am the Typo Queen (kiss my ring), but how does that happen?

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

RIP Tony. Sorry for his family's loss. That's sad. Hopefully the Jets (and every other team he coached for) dedicate their first Field Goal of the season to him. 2012 was tough for the Jets offense, but not like Sparano had much to work with.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that bit from Catch 22:

“He was very old.”
    “He was just a boy.”
    “Well he’s dead. You don’t get any older than that.”

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

My other two favorites are “now, don’t take this personally” followed by a personal observation and “this may be none of my business, but....”

Yeah guess what, it IS none of your business so shut your pie-hole.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Don’t take this personally but what you are saying, essentially, is that unless we’re talking about a new-born baby that was doused in acid then dropped into a fire, then NO death can be lamented as “too soon” or “too young”.

A young mother or father with infant children dying through no cause of their own? Not too soon? Not too young?

A star junior high athlete and honor student dies on a football field of an undiagnosed enlarged heart? Not too soon? Not too young?

Those sentiments are in the eye of the beholder.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I feel for you too brother. Far too early, far to many moments lost.

My father was lost to heart disease also

RPOZ51 likes this.
  11. jetophile

I don't and didn't inject myself into anyone's business. And I didn't inject myself into Tony Sparano's life. You probably skimmed over what happened to my family and my friend's 10 month old baby, which was so horrific it defies words. She didn't die of smoke inhalation and I'll leave it at that. People are always looking to pick a "righteous' anonymous high horse moral internet fight. I said RIP, and this post is so poor and misaimed I shouldn't even have lowered myself to respond. It's really unsettling that no-one got the original gist of my post. Carry on.

12. jetophile

Wow. Thanks for cementing my point. Without reading.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Don’t get thin skinned here. You are a great poster (but somewhat verbose).

You responded to the wrong post.

I was responding to your issue with “too young” or “too soon” posts. That it’s somehow not appropriate or upsets you.

You can disagree, dislike, not appreciate, whatever the “too young” or “too soon” responses but it’s a very real thing.

Everyone has their own perspective.

It’s one of those things we should all let go.

14. jetophile

Oh, my God, cut the shit.

I'm not thin skinned in the least, thanks. You're back pedaling on being Mr. Opinionated on something that you barely read. Perhaps that's why you shuffled off after getting your Fruit of the Looms in a bunch and came slinking back under another name. It's all good, no hard feelings; but I just lost brain cells that I'll never get back.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Re-read what YOU said.

Please don’t feel compelled to lecture people because the say “too young” or “too soon”.

Eye of the beholder.

You have no idea. Notwithstanding what you may have endured. You don’t know the worst.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

17. jetophile

I have no idea? I don't know the worst? What? Did you really just say that? Holy Crap, I can't even believe that you would try to one up personal tragedies and vaguely tell everyone else that they have no idea as if you're The King of Grief with a Grief Scepter ruling over all in The Land of Grief. You've lost all credibility with this post. Go jump in a lake.

18. jetophile

I miss Jessie.

19. Rollo Tomassi

This may be none of my business and don’t take this personally and I don’t mean to be rude but I’ve never been good with arguing with widely irrational women.

So.

You won.

Well done.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Ok by the way, when you suggest I “jump in the lake” I am 10 minutes away from going to a wake on Lake Mahopac for a 54 year old friend who blew the back of his head off with a shotgun. With a wife and 2 beautiful kids.

So PLEASE don’t tell me I can’t say “too young” or “too soon”.

Get over yourself.