Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding points. Well said. Public opinion is based on what they read in the news, mostly incomplete and spruced up to sell, often completely wrong and/or highly inaccurate.
    When we pass judgement on a coach by the way he looks you know we are way off the mark.

Big Cat and Falco21 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as this thread doesn't devolve into another shit on Bowles thread...

barfolomew and Red Menace like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If by going with the guy they wanted you mean, changing their mind last second based on a phone call from Peyton Manning, then ok .
    Remember Payton tried to get Haslem the same way and had him ready to hire Gase until Dorsey bitch slapped some sense into him.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Certainly a good lesson is that many people who are positive that Gase is a terrible hire now were positive that Bowles was a great hire then. No one here is actually ultimately very qualified to assess coaching hires and make predictions about them. I didn't post anything back then to be embarrassed about, but I will still say that ultimately my negative opinion about the Gase hiring is based on feelings, and not too much in the way of actual facts.

On the other hand, another message that can be taken is that when in doubt, assume the Jets ownership will get it wrong. I mean, think about it - is there any decision by this ownership in 19 years that you can point to and say, "Oh yeah, that was a savvy move. That turned out great. Fantastic job, guys."?

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The only good decision the NYJs ever made up to now is the 65 draft & drafting somebody named Joe Namath:mad:

TonyFtLaud and barfolomew like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nice try lol.

7. Cman68

funny... but I can't think of one single thing. New Stadium? nope... New Unis? depends... Leadership hires? LOLOLOLOL Just wait until Woody gets back from Jolly Ole England. We'll have a bldg. full of Johnsons and not a functional brain between them.. Wait.. isn't that the usual situation with Johnsons?

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

One of the best posts I have seen anywhere on the internet regarding the Jets coaching search.

Bravo

9. HomeoftheJets

Instead of looking for Jets decisions the fans liked that didn't work out, you should be looking for Jets decisions the fans didn't like that worked out. And there aren't many of those. O'Brien over Marino, Brady over Sapp, Hackenberg, etc. I sincerely believe the fans would do a better job running the team than Hess or the Johnsons.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets have had morons running things forever. I'm 50/50 on this Gase hiring. I'm not hugely in favor of it, but I'm not predicting doom and gloom like others. I also wasn't crazy about McCarthy like many Jets fans are. Either way, we'll see how it goes.

11. HomeoftheJets

Anything's possible. Gase is a smart guy, and if he gets along with Darnold the hiring could work out. But odds are, especially considering Mac is still the GM, this goes down in flames.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You win the internet :)

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Fuck. You got me, until I remembered you can change the quote.

Attackett likes this.
  14. Cman68

At least Hess was smart enough to hire an established winning coach that won a SB.

15. HomeoftheJets

Well it wasn't like there were any of those available this year. Oh wait...

16. Cman68

Damn... I can't think of anyone that checks just one of those boxes this year. Might as well roll the dice.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Do you guys really think Mike McCarthy was a slam dunk choice on the level of a Bill Parcells?

Cmon now, most seem to think the game has passed him by and if he didn’t have a good answer to how he would evolve his offense then it was the right move not hiring him.

Toon is God and PJ4Ever like this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Most people were on board with this hire and it failed miserably, so the fact that Jets fans hate Gase for the most part is encouraging.

Toon is God likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

Nah. We were more innocent back then, willing to give ownership the benefit of the doubt. The better question is how many moves the fans hated have actually worked out.

20. Cman68

If the goal was to turn the Jets into the Rams, McCarthy was never gonna do that. If the goal was to teach this team sound fundamentals and form a core of players that know how to win? McCarthy was that guy. I have a feeling Chris wants the bling of modern day offense so that was always gonna determine who got hired. Everybody wants to be the Rams or the Chiefs today. Sells more tickets, swag and advertising dollars. Macc didn't need anyone with more football knowledge than him in Chris' ear.

I'm not even sure why McCarthy wasted his time interviewing. In the long run, I have a feeling the Jets just did McCarthy a huge favor.. McCarthy is a poor fit in the modern Madden-modeled NFL.

21. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well, McCarthy will be very sorry to hear that, since he's already said that he's "locked and loaded" for 2020.