#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

At least the Boss said he was "expecting better results than last year"

If I was CEO I would handled this much differently..saying something like "of course ..the ultimate goal of our team is to make the playoffs each year and win a SB .We seem to be headed in the right direction to do so. Monday night showed that but we also have to take one game at a time"

SMH ..any Psychologist will tell you people respond to your expectations..and its smarter to keep them high and positive not this sh*t

Ralebird likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Turk it’s a double edged sword when it comes to getting rid of a HC after 3 or 4 years.

Many teams have done it and have found the right HC to lead their organizations out of the basement to playoff contention.

I’m going to give you a couple of examples....Jacksonville Jaguars, they got rid of a 4 year HC in Gus Bradley who could not get team to .500, hired Doug Marrone and look at how good they are. FO was kept in tact but scheme and CS were changed.

St. Louis Rams, canned Fisher and his staff while they were developing a FQB in Goff, brought in a rookie HC Sean Mcveigh and it worked out for them.

The Niners had multiple HC until they found Harbaugh and he did a great job for them, they didn’t stick with Mike Singletary for 8 years just for the sake of consistency.

Eagles...Chip Kelly was fired after having back to back winning season and a division title. He had one bad season and was canned. Doug Pederson was hired and led team to a SB win in his second year.

So my point is that Bowles has not earned anything from the fans that meritt this loyalty like if he had won multiple SB and led team to 4 or 5 division titles.

Other HC who had accomplished more or the same as him have been fired and it led to the betterment of the team.

However, I must say this, while I’m not a fan of Bowles, he is going to definitely be here for this year and I’m rooting for team to do well, not for him but just becaue I want the Jets to win, that’s it, I want them to win, regardless of who the HC is.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against the no playoff mandate. I do however have something against the lead decision maker calling a 5-11 team last year that was blown out of 4 games, "a team to be reckoned with"

Ralebird and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How exactly is Bowles hiding behind a rebuild? We moved up to draft a QB. It's crystal clear that this team has been rebuilding and the key piece was drafted this year.

We are no longer rebuilding we are developing a franchise QB and putting pieces around him to be in contention for years. I suspect Bowles and Mac actually talk and have a short and long term plan.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Can we just close this dumb thread and focus on winning this year?

Why are we even discussing potential head coach candidates when we have a damn head coach?!

I don't get this shit

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

why do you want to close down something you disagree with? that's not right

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Well if hes being granted full autonomy into next season based on the results to date isnt disregarding the objective body of work & thus fixating on the rebuild indirectly hiding behind a perceived lack of talent & a long term plan?

8. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Because it's ridiculous, the guy did a great job last year with the talent we had--and so far a great job this year. Revisit this discussion at the end of the season, no reason to even talk about head coaches.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope Mac, Darnold, and Bowles grow old in the league together.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think Bowles and Mac took over a completely dysfunctional team run by an owner who was absolutely clueless. Lets face it the first thing that happened to this team when Woody took over is Kraft stole BB out from under him.

Putting together a contending 53 man squad that can hold up to the attrition of a full season and compete for years is almost none existent in the NFL. There are a handful of examples and usually they have 2 things in common, solid ownership and GM/HC, veteran leadership along with a top 8 elite NFL QB. We know because of the cap the 53 man roster will be turned over radically ever couple of years. We know the Jets have had complete dysfunction at the top for decades. We know up until the draft this year that the Jets haven't had anything close to an elite NFL QB. We still don't know it.

It's very possible that Mac and Bowles have both done a great job and that the people in charge recognize it even if you don't. It's very possible they don't feel he's "hiding" behind anything. He's there along with Mac every day. They may perceive that he's doing a great job and in time, if Darnold develops into a top 8 QB the wins will come? Why any owner would think we would have a good record this year with a rookie QB with the exception of Dan Snyder is beyond me.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Love the positivity Biggs, but the in-game situational managing (time outs, punting down multiple scores, turnover prone plays at the end of halves, etc.) should be there if he's a good coach regardless of the personnel, right? Trust me, I want to believe, and I agree the roster has been atrocious, but some facets of a good coaching performance are independent of the talent on the roster. And I just haven't seen it.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

why will it matter? someone will just make 4 more topics after a loss, see how old this topic is? even with progress people want him fired.

gonna have to win a SB to keep this fanbase quiet. Jets are on track, next year, I truly believe we will be the first year of contention should the jets players progress, get a pass rusher and fix the left side of the line.

12. Well is he the head coach or the GM? A Head coach’s job isnt to babysit until the talent base improves.Even if wins & losses are off the table there are still aspects of his job subject to evaluation that frankly arent contingent on valid talent. Gameplanning,clock management,situational,Replay challenges.. etc. Even the biggest sunshiner would have a hard time arguing that this has been a mixed bag at BEST. And if we think this is gonna somehow get better once the roster fills in a bit..well you have more confidence in that notion than i do.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Once again, you are entitled to your blinders on, homer, apologist, protectionist, blue skies approach to following a team. You can tell us how many games you've watched and your superior knowledge of the game. No doubt I understood more about the game before you were born and will ever realize. There was enough concern about the opening play for someone to start a thread about it here - one which has over eighty responses. I guess you are the only guy here who understands the NFL.

That doesn't matter to me in the slightest. What is somewhat irksome is your single minded approach to everything Bowles, bates and Darnold and your expectation that everyone share it. You refuse to even acknowledge statements made that applaud that which has worked to focus on such spirit-chilling things like "concerns." Sheesh!

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets have middle of the pack talent and that's where we should expect them to finish. If the QB and the young defenders keep coming then playoffs are possible. Depth is a problem so they may be hurt by injuries. Please stop with the coach stuff.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

See, you make a lot of sense when you talk football. Stick to that. Lol.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

You're off the rail if you think we had great coaching last season.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think this topic has gone off rails. We aren't discussing next year's coaches anymore, instead we are discussing Todd Bowles. How about I keep the thread open but change the title to "Todd Bowles 2018 Performance"

Everybody cool with that?

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good idea!

I honestly don't even want to think about who I would want, or who would even be available, but I do think we need to monitor Bowles. If he has learned his lessons and is now hitting his stride as a HC, that's great, but if not, then I hope the Johnsons look to find somebody who can bring them to a SB.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

FYP

FJF likes this.
  20. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

Yes... good idea. This thread morphed into a Bowles discussion a long time ago. I can't even recall the last post mentioning a replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.