Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're probably right...the fans complaining isn't going to get him fired next year, at this point anyway. But I do think he hears what's being said and takes some of it into account. We actually saw him bench two players for disciplinary reasons, which is not something he's really done before. Of course maybe he just came to that on his own, for his own reasons, but I suspect the fans calling for him to be more of a disciplinarian has something to do with it.Again, not saying that he wakes up every day and logs into TGG to see what he should be doing, but its human nature to be affected by what's said around you, especially if you hear the same things over and over.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m just saying there is enough to work with not to change direction. Like I said in another thread, they ahould be tweaking things now not overhauling. I see a team on the uptick with a lot of opportunity this spring. I don’t want to add a new staff or gm(and I have been very critical of mac) to muddy this up. Come next year, things still don’t look like they are pointing up, well, I know where I left my pitchfork when Rex left. For now I want to se where this goes.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

None of what's happened means any of that. How do you know that they haven't got a plan of action moving forward that differs from the notion that this will be a repeat of something, i.e. Fitz? People wanna project the worst have at it
    Why would I conjur up a reason to be sick about something when it just as easily could be something else? When really, Mac might actually be doing things the way he wants to now, not the way Woody wanted to in '15, and that they're actually instituting a program, and would do anything to get over the top with a FQB. Why the fuck would he not wanna do that?

If this shit turns around ima have some fun on here.

tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  4. It's lining up almost exactly the same way Fitz did from year 1 heading into year 2...that's why. Fitz overachieves..wins over the ball coach & the next thing ya know we're treating a career journeyman like "Fitz-magic". Year 2 was the real Fitz...the Fitz some of us knew was there all along.

Now here's Mccown...Overachieving..winning over the old ball coach..Mac already hinting that mccown will be back next year...haven't we been here before??

The regime may want a FQB...But they don't appear to be prioritizing it the same way other teams do. Why?? They appear afraid to take that risk.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Walt White

Rest of the team is different tho. Not the same really. Just cause McCown's coming back does NOT mean they're not looking to get the QB for the future.
    It's in their best interest to get a FQB. Is that not common sense? Not the silly notion that they're scared for their immediate jobs like a couple of others keep hypothesizing.

FJF and tbruner12 like this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think he is 20-24 career record so that is hardly losing far more than winning even if it is a losing record. I said from the beginning when they brought him in that they need to give him more than the 2-3 years they have a habit of giving HCs. It hasn't helped in the past finding the right guy and too many very successful HCs start off not looking too good. Weeb Ewbank, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, B*lich*ck all started out slow, hell Landry started 0-11-1 and then didn't surpass 5 wins in the next 4 seasons. B*lich*ck only had 1 winning season in his first 5.

Walt White, FJF and tbruner12 like this.

7. LOL...

Of course it's common sense, buddy!

But these are the Jets we are talking about. When does common sense ever apply?

In my opinion the team got sidetracked in finding a QB when Fitz balled out in 2015. Yes they brought in Hack & still held out hope for Petty..but the urgency changed. Rather than going all out to finding the answer suddenly we started to hear the "Develop a QB over time" talk. Now...I really don't have an issue w. the notion of developing a QB over time. But when i read 2 years later that the HC & coordinator didn't give a shit about developing the QB's they chose to take later rather than taking a risk in round 1...I get real pissed off. What a load of crap that was. And why spew it? Either Mac/Bowles aren't on the same page or that was just another excuse to avoid drafting a QB in round 1..and buying more time to solve the riddle.

I've used the term "Clean lines". I want the regime to have zero choice but to address the QB position w. scouting, valuating & executing on draft day. Now..you can point to Mac for this portion. But HC's are supposed to always be on the look out for a 1st round QB prospect who fits their persona that they want to build around that they're willing to pound the table for. Hell even Rex did it w. Sanchez. 3 years in...we've never seen it w. Bowles. He loved Fitz before it blew up in his face & he loves Mccown now.I just don't see it ever happening.

So what happens moving forward? We re-sign Mccown I guess being all in on him replicating 2017 w. better personnel around him in 2018? Meanwhile shrug our shoulders at not picking top 5 & wait till another round to draft a QB yet AGAIN? Who is the 2018 version of Hackenburg? Hack a bad example? How bout Geno Smith, Greg Mcelroy, Kellen Clemens, Tajh Boyd, Brooks Bollinger or Chuck Clements? See where I'm going w. this???

You can this time it will be different. Maybe it will. But you just got done a few posts ago stating this regime shouldnt care a shred about the franchise's history prior to them. If that's the case...well then surely history will indeed repeat itself.

You see where I'm going with this now?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Walt White

Not following that logic dude, at all. Nor would I ever adopt a point of view like that. All those guys are the same. There were fans clamoring for them too, like they are Petty now here. It means zero to me looking forward. Hopefully it means zero to Mac and he can somehow nab a QB. If Petty or Hack are worth a fuck we'll see. Just like we'll see if Mac can get lucky or maybe sign Cousins.

Do you actually think that Mac and/or Bowles need a history lesson because those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it, or something. It's not that deep, c'mon man. If they can't learn from their own mistakes then they won't last. Just like Rex. We're gonna find out. It looks pretty much like nothing's changing. Oh well for some fans here I guess.

#128 Walt White, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  9. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

The concept of drafting a FQB with a top 5 draft pick is over rated.
    The idea of wasting picks until you find your guy, is so stupid.
    Draft position has very little to do with finding your guy, unless you are looking at a once in a decade type guy. There aren't many of those, especially with guys not staying in college 4 years and having college careers that justify the position of #1 draft pick.
    QB is important, but not that important in the "rebuild" of a team and teams don't blow pick after pick looking for their FQB unless you are the Browns.
    The Jets were in the best position a team can be in during the 2009 season, and screwed their opportunity of find a franchise QB by picking Sanchise. They simply picked the wrong guy out of haste. They could have signed a FA game manager, or picked someone else even later in the draft. The guy who said Nacho was the guy should have been fired. Thing is, our team needs a guy in the office who can see which QB in the draft can fit into our team's grand scheme of things.
    There are more Super Bowl winning QB's that weren't top 5 picks than there are Super Bowl winning Top 5 picks.
    Out of the 50 plus superbowls, two guys that combined for 9 Super Bowl wins, were drafted in the 3rd and 6th rounds.
    Maybe drafting top 5 QB's with high ratings, works in Madden. But it doesn't work in the NFL.
    It's more about fitting the current team than building around a rookie top 5 pick.
    McCown, hopefully will continue marching this team toward a winning culture while 2nd string Petty sharpens his skills in attempt to unseat McCown. Hackenberg will take his worthless 2nd round pick to a grocery store for a tryout as bag boy, maybe learn to play a QB on Madden like so many on this board.

McCown gets next season uuas our franchise QB. Petty is better than Hacñk, and has a cheaper contract. He stays. Hack walks if we draft a QB in this draft.
    McCown gives us another year of drafting BPA, or addressing more important areas on our team.
    Thank goodness for McCown's season. It may keep the front office from doing something stupid like wasting a great draft pick position on a QB who won't work out.

10. It just boils down to trust. I think I've made a pretty strong case that Mccown is heading in the exact same direction as Fitz did 2 years ago. The comments from MAC about resigning him & Bowles annointing him at today's presser proves that.You think better of it and thats your right.

Me? I'm tired of getting burnt. I'm tired of going into every draft hoping that this is the year offense is a priority. And then coming on here at the conclussion of day 3 hearing how "Don't worry...next year is all about offense". It's NEVER about offense. Now a regime that has spent all 3 off their 1st round picks on Defense, the majority of cap space on defense, that bought into Fitz's bullshit 2 years ago & is happy being 5-7 w. Josh Mccown behind center is gonna alter history?? For fuck's sake I hope I'm wrong...but I'm afraid I'm not.

11. Yes let’s just keep sitting on our hands waiting for a magical QB to fall out of the sky on day 3 of the draft. Cof course the game is totally QB driven & every team knows this.Any QB w any starting capabilitity is going round 1 or 2 bc the supply is so low & demand is so high.

But hey..we’ll do it your way.Draft OL Round 1 Every year the same way the eagles did in the 90s & wait for our Joe Montana to somehow slip through the cracks magically into the big Apple. Of course that’ll be decades after everyone in this board has come & gone..but hey!Drafting QBs is overrated!!

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. tbruner12

Oh I get it, we can draft 53 QB's and let the throw to and block for each other, see how that goes.
    Did you read the whole post? Probably not considering your reply.
    There are more Ryan Leaf's in the top 5, than Peyton Mannings.
    In the argument who should come first, the chicken or the egg, and of finding a FQB, it's much easier to find one after you have some pieces in place to help keep him upright, or acclimate him to the speed of the pro game via a running game as an example.
    What's the matter, McCown is playing well, better than most top 5 picks who play in their first year. Who knows, he may play well enough here to earn a place on the team for more than a couple years. Maybe while he is here, we will develope a much better roster, draft better players, win a bunch of games, and allow us to find a young guy in any round who can take the team over and keep us in contention for a decade or more. Or we could just spend every first round pick every year, gambling on one to stick it out until we build a team around him.
    We were not in position to pick Peyton Manning in 98', we were busy playing in the AFC championship.
    If Parcells stays, maybe Pennington would have been that guy. We will never know. Bill had us on the cusp, where as the Browns approach has never worked out for them. Maybe this year we will pick Johnny Manzel. Would that be the thing that settle some our back mind? I mean he was the best QB on the board when Cleveland chose that year. What a ridiculous concept.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

John Morton says he wants Josh McCown back with Jets next season - NY Daily News
    Morton has a point. McCown — who Todd Bowles said Wednesday will start the final four games of 2017, barring injury — is enjoying by far the best season of his NFL career. More importantly, the 38-year-old’s stats stack up admirably against the league’s other quarterbacks. He’s in the top 12 in passing yards (2,880), touchdowns (18), and passer rating (96.7), and he’s fourth in the league in completion percentage (67.2).

Over the past several weeks, McCown has sounded like a man who wants to continue playing. It’s a decision he’ll make this offseason after consulting his family, and obviously a lot can change over these last four weeks. But how can a player as competitive as McCown walk away from the game just as he’s hitting his stride as a passer?

Morton has seen no signs of decline from McCown, who was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week on Wednesday after a standout performance against Kansas City last weekend.

“He’s been consistent,” Morton said. “He’s perfect for this offense.”

The Jets, meanwhile, must figure out if they want to start McCown for another season, knowing he isn’t the long-term answer. At minimum, though, McCown provides a knowledgeable veteran presence in the QB room for young signal-callers like Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg — or a rookie, if the Jets opt to go that way in the draft this spring.

“He is just another coach,” Morton said of McCown. “When you have someone like that in your room, it’s an awesome feeling.”

I'm not saying the jets have no plan for future with regards to QB, but it looks like a repeat of what happened with Fitzpatrick. We have to wait for the draft.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  14. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Or perhaps this one season of McCown is the outlier, he gets injured a few games in next season as has happened throughout his career, and the QB drafted by the Jets this offseason comes in Game 4. Remind me next year when my prediction comes true.

15. tbruner12

Now if only we can get a QB in the 6th round., wait for McCowns injury to happen in a game VS the Patriots.
    We will be set for a couple decades.
    I guess that would also entail Bowles becoming the next Belicheck.
    The future looks bright for our JETS!!

Walt White likes this.
  16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

You know what all those coaches had in common? No free agency.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Free agency started in 1947, maybe you are thinking of unrestricted free agency which is what the league has now, started in 1992 so Belich*ck would have had it while at Cleveland. Besides that, all coaches were on the level playing field since it wasn't like one coach had free agency and the others didn't. So some didn't have any free agency when they started but they also didn't have free agency when they got better and won Super Bowls.

FJF likes this.
  18. I disagree w filling other positions first bc you want an offense that compliments the QBs skillset. It’s hard enough finding a FQB..never mind one that compliments 9-10 starters already in place.

Look at the consistent playoff contenders in any given year.Its without fail always the team’s w elite QBs that are in it.

Mccown maybe playing well but he’s not a face of the franchise.Hes not elevating the play of those around him. The jets desperately need a QB to remove the massive road block the position has become.Someone who can voice the pulse of the team,put the team on his back when adversity strikes & reflect the team’s personality

In my lifetime alone I’ve watched our team basically eat the dust of Marino,Kelly & now Cheater. When you combine how pass driven the league has become & how inflated the position has become on draft day..we have no choice but to pick our spot and take a QB round 1.Every single year folks find reason not to take a QB.Every year.Doesnt matterwho the prospect is or the timing.What exactly are we waiting for?

Prioritizing other positions & waiting to get lucky hasn’t worked.Its been an absolute failure.We’re just gonna throw away whole seasons waiting..?You cannot win without a QB.Period

Now if you wanna say a young QB needs pieces around him,of course I agree.In a perfect world you take the QB & follow it up w help be it from OL or skill.

I’m tired of waiting to strike gold on a QB.Im tired of this shitty franchise only addressing the O w OL & veteran skilll players bc they’re scared of drafting skill.Just once In my lifetime I’d like OUR team to be a fun offense that can put up 30+ every single week & can outscore people;Yes even on the road. It’s a team game.a QB can’t do it on his own..but you better damn well have one to build around.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get into a bidding war with ourselves and pay the guy $12 million to come back

grkmanga31 likes this.
  20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Of course Morton will say this because when there is good QB play there's good vibes going towards the OC for the offense looking good. I can't blame him, who wouldn't want someone to come back that's made you look like a genius for the most part?

But as a fan of this team, I'm not buying into the smoke and mirrors. As they say, if you don't learn from your mistakes, your bound to repeat them. Jets can sign McCown and that's all fine and dandy but if its for 12 mil that's a huge mistake, even 10 mil is too much. The point of having sustained success is doing so with a player who's actually going to be here for the long haul. I know McCown isn't retiring but how long is this charade going to go on for? It's unsustainable to think McCown will continue being as good as he has been and his career has shown that to be true. Again, bring him back as a backup but we need to move forward and to solve the decades long problem of finding a franchise QB who is young enough to build around for years to come.