Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wow

playtowinthegame and FJF like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In essence what Bowles did by declaring McCown as the starter for the rest of the season is telling everyone who is complaining about him not playing Petty/Hack to "FUCK OFF!". He's saying that he's tired of answering this question week after week, and so he's attempting to stop those questions by saying there is virtually no chance of Petty or Hack playing.

It's his right as HC to do this of course, but most people don't like to be told to fuck off.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What course are we on with a 38 year old QB? I'm getting mixed signals here. So McCown is the future going forward and beyond? Is development the goal next year or winning? Because the Jets might want to pass that along to the season ticket holders. Someone needs to bring this up to Macc and have him explain why he keeps his high draft pick on the roster if he's not playing.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

are you suggesting mac ad bowles do not speak about who plays and who doesn't and why?

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't think they do. Because its not Macc lane to tell who plays or not. Otherwise he would have had his gimp Hackeberg playing by now. Still more questions than answers with QB position. Also McGuire should be playing more than Forte but not in Bowles world.

6. Walt White

The people that pay attention to click bait bullshit for info. The people that don't love that he dismisses these fucking hacks.This bs was decided long ago and any HC worth a damn doesn't feed into it because the media is looking for attention. It's what good HC fucking do. Any fan that takes it as an insult is lost.
    The good thing also is that any HC with an ounce of common sense could give a flying fuck about anything that happened before he got there. Like he's supposed to make decisions based on a few fans feelings being hurt about stuff in the past that he didn't have anything to do with. That's crazy talk. That's insanity

#106 Walt White, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

then there is no sense discussing this anymore.

Walt White likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't need to hear anything else from Bowles. I'm not surprised at all by his announcement, just disappointed.

I have criticized Mac when I think he has made mistakes, and will again when I think he deserves it. Not taking Mahomes and maybe Watson in this year's draft could be a big mistake. I don't think it's a matter that Petty can't start over McCown, it's that Bowles is coaching for his future contract with the Jets or with another team and he feels more confident with McCown the veteran over a rookie. He knows he may not be back here so doesn't give a rat's ass about developing a young QB for the Jets.

Just because Mac and Bowles meet regularly to discuss player performance, doesn't mean that Mac is in agreement with Bowles. If you seriously think that he is, then your opinion should be that Mac should be fired along with Bowles following this season for not drafting a better QB to date, for not trading Petty this past offseason when he had the chance, and for his other mistakes.

Yes, if Petty or Hack had started, we might have a worse record than we do, and it might be much worse. If so, big deal. It would have us in great position to get that FQB in the 2018 draft. If Petty had started, we might also have the same record, or we might even have a better record. He may not have made those big, dumb mistakes that McCown did or may have hit more long TD passes to make up for them.

Why would Mac be wanting to win meaningless games when they would only harm our draft position and make it harder for him to get that FQB? That makes zero sense. Mac should be wanting to see Petty and Hack in game action. If you're right and he doesn't, then he's stupid and should be fired.

9. NCJetsfan

It's amazing how effing stupid some fans can be. They deserve to have to watcha Rich Kotite-coached team the rest of their lives.

10. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People are just gonna believe what they want..the idea that there's not an organizational plan regarding these QBs is comical.

grkmanga31 and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

more name calling

12. The play on the field looks exactly the same. Forget the names,age & cap space. It's outdated defensive football w. no imagination & zero explosion.

Additionally when Bowles came aboard we had Sheldon,Pryor,Amaro,Powell, Winters,Doozier,Evans, Enunwa that were considered a young nucleus...and thats to go along w. a top 10 pick & significant cap space. Where did all those resources go?? W. exception of Carpenter every bit .of it went to defense & NONE of it resulted in any change at all.

How many more seasons are we gonna waste away before the "reset button" is in play?

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually (mostly) agree with you. I don't like it, but that's the way things are. I can live with that. But even though I don't expect Bowles to listen to me or any of the fans, it's still our right to speak out minds, and if enough fans feel that he's not doing the right thing, he may get fired, so he can't be completely divorced from fan sentiment. I'm not saying he has to draw up his game plan by reading fan comments and incorporating them into it, but the reality is that fans DO have an impact on a coaches (and GM's) job.

14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

If Mac was hell bent on Hackenburg or Petty playing and had no say chances are he would not even have signed McCown leaving Bowles no option...that's if your diluted enough to think Bowles has that much power.

15. FJF

thats a gm issue no?

and the fact is, johnson let them hit the reset button before this season. i'd expect the leash is lot longer than a lot of people here would care to know

Walt White likes this.
  16. Walt White

It's nowhere near that tho. The jury's out anyway and will be for at least another year.

Fans whining about Jets history has no bearing. What happens next year will.

Btw, when Parcells was with the Giants in the beginning he went through a learning curve and a bad losing first season. After a while his attitude got hard assed towards the media and I remember the same complaints in the beginning by fans about him. Lotta people didn't like him. Didn't mean they understood the program he was installing tho, and the last thing he was gonna do was enable a bunch of hacks tear him down if they could.

17. If you were taking over as CEO of a failing business w. a demanding board & significant loyal customer base dating back decades would you just blindly go in & do your thing every step of the way..or at least take a look at what went wrong in the past so similar mistakes were not repeated?

If it's a pizza chain & the pie has sucked since they changed the recipe 10 years ago do you ignore that fact & talk up the pasta bar every quarter to the investors??Er..maybe go back to take a look at what went wrong 10 years ago???

Not all situations are created equal in ANY business or industry. Football is no exception. In fact quite often a team's historical perception becomes their ultimate reality in a given season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

"diluted'? LOL try deluded

19. Walt White

They love the Ground hog day nightmare scenario. Love it. No way there's a plan moving forward other than repeating the Fitz thing. That's that!!

20. I don't know..is it??? You were the one touting about how Bowles should stay b.c the roster "Has something to work with".. It's like you wanna give credit to Bowles but anytime holes are found in those statements suddenly it's the Gm or the QB's fault...

I'm not targeting BTW,I have alot of respect for you and in most cases we usually see eye to eye. If you believe in Bowles...more power to ya..but just come out & says It's a hunch about the guy. The results we've seen out of him 3 years in are no different than anything we've seen over the last 15 years.

#120 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017