Todd Bowles Comments About His Coaching

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jun 18, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What scenarios are you referring to last season in terms of this? I asked this in another thread and I got a link from 2 years ago. Do you understand WHY he won't at times?

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My guess he is what he is because he is KNOWs he is a terrible HC so he is afraid to make any out of the box decision because he does not want the media saying he should not have made that decision:mad:

3. championjets69

Sorry U have not dug far enough or u r just being naive. It WAS very clear that Bowles was Herm #2 reincarnated & he was hired because he came cheap. :mad:

4. 101GangGreen101

Out of box decisions like starting 2 rookie safeties since the NFL merger? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

FJF likes this.
  5. championjets69

Well I guess some smart person on the staff saw that these 2 rookies were better then any one else on the roster was for this position. So ask U the same question that I asked FJF which IF you were the owner would you hire Herm #2 (bowles) or would you have gone in a other direction? :mad:

6. 101GangGreen101

Bowles won a SB as a starting safety, so you sure maybe Bowles wasn't involved in that? I don't think Bowles is Herm #2. I don't know what Bowles is fully just yet. The only choice was Dan Quinn or Todd Bowles. I still probably go with Bowles. I don't think Quinn is that great either.

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I know your question was for someone else and I kinda stopped paying really close attention about halfway through the season last year cause they were such a boring team but 2 gutless, bonehead Bowles decisions stuck out to me

---

Atlanta game. You are up 7-0 early. It's pouring down rain. The falcons fumble the snap and give you a golden opportunity at their 30 yard line. 14-0 early in a rainstorm may have put the game out of reach if you are smart or at least gives you the chance to play keep away in the rain. But Todd Bowles will be Todd Bowles. 4th & 4 at the Falcons 28 yard line and he chooses to kick the field goal instead of going for it. Missed field goal. Atlanta ties the game up just a few minutes later and wins by only 5.

--
    Carolina game. Down 18-17 early in the 4th quarter the Jets are gifted 2 big plays on 3rd down, a pass interference penalty and a broken coverage allowing for a big play. 1st and goal at Carolina's 1 yard line. 3 incomplete passes later its 4th and goal from the 1. Loser coaches kick the field goal. Coaches who want to win in modern day NFL go for it. Guess what Todd Bowles chose?

--
    2 close games pissed away by gutless coaching decisions

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Falcons game: Who is going to go for it on 4th down that early in the game? No coach with McCown as the QB would do that. They did miss 2 FGs that game, so if they hit both they would've won by 1. The 2nd FG they missed, McCown took a sack on 3rd down.

Panthers game: McCown again, fumble return for a TD ... next drive, takes a sack on 3rd down, punt then they return it for 6. Jets imploded in the 4th. I am sorry, but these are reaches.

I am not putting the ball in McCowns hands to win, he almost lost the Jets the Jags game.

Bowles was not good at making decisions early in his coaching career, but I think he has improved that facet. Perhaps Darnold allows Bowles to be more aggressive.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is no logical way to draw a line from Edwards to Bowles using only football related factors at the point in which they were both hired to be hc. None, so again, what specifically did you not like about Bowles’ resume when he was in the interview process?

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

to answer your specific question about the Falcons game, plenty of teams would go for it there and have. The teams with smart coaches anyway. And the analytics nerds would tell you to. Early in the game is the best time to go for it because the risk is the least as the negative impact is smallest

The Panthers game was absolutely a horrible decision and your explanation furthers that point. a 2 point lead there is pointless, obviously its not going to hold up. By kicking the field goal there he was making that assumption.

---

to your further point though, that he was risk adverse because of McCown, I'm NOT buying that whatsoever. Bowles trusts McCown. He ain't going to trust a rookie more than a 15 year vet. So of course he's not going to be more aggressive with Darnold.

personally, I don't think he's going to be around for Darnold. Mccown/Bridgewater will start most of the games this season and I think it will be Bowles' final year here

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Not with McCown as your starting QB IMO. If the Jets had a decent QB that could be trusted on that level on a weekly basis maybe Bowles would be more aggressive. Being too aggressive can bite you in the ass too (early or late), if you remember when the Jets played the Giants, Coughlin went for it on 4th down with Eli and failed. That led to the Jets winning so these things work both ways Nagle. Sometimes you take the points and play defense.

At the end of the day, you know why the Jets lost the Panthers game. The Jets gave up 14 points in the 4th QTR by shooting themselves in the foot. Teams don't always try and get super aggressive with a lead, at times they do get a little conservative when they take a lead. Like I mentioned before McCarthy gets super conservative with Rodgers. Do you want him as a HC instead? You will end up complaining about the same things! Andy Reid?

Again, McCown was a risk and the Jags game was the perfect example when they put the ball in his hands, he almost lost the game for the Jets single handily. I hope Bowles and Bates are here for Darnold barring a major regression.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. FJF

If Bowles trusts mccown to win games you are right, he is a bad coach. But all the scenarios you are bringing up are pretty solid evidence of. A coach that doesn’t trust his qb to win games
    And if the over/under on Bowles reanimating jets years is 1.5 I’ll take the over. All day

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I'll answer this for Champ ... "I didn't do any research on Todd Bowles, other then read a bunch of Manish articles when he was hired"

FJF likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

no that's simply an excuse for the evidence. The solid evidence is that he's a coach that doesn't understand how to properly manage risk and make good in-game decisions.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've been hard on Bowles. I believe we all have. But I love his personality. His players truly love playing for him and being around him. He has all their backs as well. He even talks down upon himself due to a "losing record". That's a real man right there. To admit you are what your record is? I like that. Without a Franchise QB too. Just wait until Darnold breaks out and performs at a high level as his QB. I bet that winning-losing percentage sky rockets within a blink of an eye due to Bowles still being a young head coach ala a "small sample size". Under some crappy situations too.

Not comparing Bowles to a future H.O.F head coach or anything like that; I'm just talking reality, facts and football truth.

Belly never had success in Cleveland during his 4 or 5 years or whatever. Never forgot that before stuffing Bowles in the Toilet Bowl.

Bill has a very ugly career losing record while with the shi**y Browns.

He coached some terrible players in CLE too. Without a Franchise QB too. Like Bowles; just a horrible way to start your NFL head coaching career. But i believe those CLE days made Bill who he is today mentally along with being gift wrapped a diamond in the ruff late rounder Tom Brady. Funny how things work for HC's with real NFL QB's.

Long story short If Darnold is the truth? We'll finally have a chance to see how a TEAM with a young talented QB fights and responds under coach Bowles both on the field and within the locker room. Because these players ALREADY play and fight extremely hard under this man lack of talent or not.

I've had the most fun as a fan under Rex with Hard Knox, 2009-2010 two back to back AFCCG's etc etc. But personality wise? Bowles is my fan favorite dating back to Bill Parcells. Rex was fun and funny but after a while i needed a change. I like those hard nosed coaches. Bowles isn't as strict as Parcells but he's focused and quiet. I like Bowles I'm rooting for him and Darnold to turn his winning percentage upside down.

16. BrowningNagle

I had to stop here because thats a huge assumption on your part and one that I don't agree with.

I dont agree with it for 2 reasons- - Bowles' public praise of Mccown suggests that he does trust him AND Bowles' track record of dumb in game decisions/ gutless aversion to risk was shown before Mccown even got here anyway

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

What about when Bowles let Fitz play pitch and catch with Marshall and Decker all season long? Fitz was throwing the football 30 to 40 times a game. They let Fitz do whatever he wanted out there. Fitz played well that year, and Bowles allowed Fitz to air it out.

McCown is a trustworthy player coach that has good input, but let's not confuse that level of trust with trust to win games. Sure, McCown can run an offense, make some good throws, but I never heard Bowles say he can count on McCown late in games. That's what I hear when Bowles praises McCown. I still think Bowles has gotten much better in terms of game-decisions.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  18. FJF

It’s funny this wasn’t an issue in 2015 when fitz was setting franchise records in route to a winning record.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

It is incorrect that he let Fitz do whatever he wanted. Bowles made plenty of overly conservative and questionable in game decisions during Fitzpatrick's time at QB as well. The fact that Fitzpatrick broke some pathetically low Jets records doesn't mean they were some high octane aggressive offense. You remember those games, trust your memory

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

yeah, no one was complaining about him being conservative his first year ... He made some questionable decisions as a rookie head coach, but what coach doesn't do this? There are no perfect coaches in the NFL. You guys are all searching for a HC that frankly does not exist.

They let Fitz do whatever he wanted out there, they didn't dial down the offense. They let him throw all day long. Bowles teams for the most part have always been competitive and been in the majority of the games despite a lack of talent. So I am sure he is doing something right.

FJF likes this.