To Bell or not to Bell, that’s the question... Vote please

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Should Jets sign Bell no matter what?

1. Of course, you crazy?

39.3%
  2. Nah, too expensive.

43.2%
  3. Yes but only at this price (State your number please)

17.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why the fuck do we want this kind of greedy cunt in our squad, he must be already so rich to give that kind of contract up and compound it with sitting on his arse all season taking the piss, quality player, horrible attitude.

No thanks.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

They don't need him if they plan FA right........they can still sign 3 quality starters, a few depth players ( including a vet back up QB ), and resign a few of their own.

I'm hoping between FA and the draft the Jets will have 6-7 new starters this coming season......

LAJet and K'OB like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And will still be looking for an elite offensive player

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Multi-talented explosive dual threat running backs that change games and defensive coordinators need to game plan for.

Not strictly down hill runners. Not strictly power runners. Not strictly third down change of pace backs. Not strictly short yardage backs.

Does that do it for you?

5. K'OB

going off recent drafts there seems to be plenty of elite RB's popping up in the third round, hopefully, we employ a scout worth a damn to recommend one of the next batch.

Scratch elite and make it very good if you want too.

#165 K'OB, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. mrjet80

If the Jets don't sign Bell I could see them signing Coleman and drafting a RB in the round 3-4 area. Team them up using McGwire as the 3rd option. Now you have a decent and young RB stable going forward. If they do sign Bell it's not going to be a RB by committee approach and I don't see them drafting a RB this year. Obviously, Bell is the workhorse ...

K'OB likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In the last five years, there have been 9 Pro-Bowlers selected rounds 3-7:

Devonta Freeman (4)
    Latavius Murray (6)
    David Johnson (3)
    Jay Ajayi (5)
    Jordan Howard (5)
    Alvin Kamara (3)
    Kareem Hunt (3)
    James Conner (3)
    Tarik Cohen (4)

Two of them are pedestrian at best (Howard, Murray), one of them had one good season (Ajayi) and there's maybe two elite guys among the others. Because of that 2017 draft, people think stud RBs are found mid-to-late rounds regularly. They aren't. Very few are actually.

Sam Hammer, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  8. FJF

Going into the draft needing a playmaker is a horrible idea. Going into the draft with bell and drafting another playmaker because he is there is a terrific idea and how good teams stay good. Bad teams don’t get this

9. K'OB

Fine but he seems like a dressing room cancer and I fucking hate the fact he quit on his team for cash, when in all honesty he was offered a very good deal and he chose not to sign it and then refused the tag and sat for a season, shithouse and I don't want him at the jets for this reason, not his talent, how has his fitness and enthusiasm held up over the last year, will he be all in on his return? not just for us but for any team that he signs for, plus isn't he just one drug test from a ban?

So much risk, maybe too much at the price he wants to be paid.

10. K'OB

9 more than the Jets have had then.

Any of the 7 bolded I would have at the jets, granted 2 have something to prove after recent injuries, Kamara is a no brainer, Hunt if we ignore his incident would be a no brainer also, Conner maybe puts a knock on Bell's production as he stepped right into that team and you wonder how the O-line has made Bell look an elite back, he won't get that line at the Jets.
    Cohen is a good pass catching back and maybe has something else to offer with more opportunities.

For some reason, I have always liked Murray but at 29yo he is a stop gap or cheaper option probably but he does know where the EZ is.

11. mrjet80

I wish FA would hurry up and get here......so many different directions the Jets can go in.

12. FJF

1. He refused an offer he didn’t like. If you didn’t like an offer you would do the same.
    2. Players hate the tag, I promise you players are very happy he did what he did and will try to get rid of the tag in the next cba.
    3. Former teammate on our roster now says he would love bell here.

Sam Hammer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

To be fair:

1. He chose money over team. Which is his right and what many of us would do. But still, he chose money over team. And playing. That cannot be dismissed.

2. Them's the rules. Change it next time but that wasn't forced on them by the owners. It was bargained for. The Steelers played by the rules. And he decided he didn't want to.

3. His teammates in his OWN actual locker room thought he was an asshole. In a league where you absolutely do NOT touch another man's wallet, there were plenty of guys in that locker room touching his wallet--publicly. That's almost unheard of and very telling.

themorey, HomeoftheJets and K'OB like this.
  14. K'OB

1 - bit different me walking into my bosses office and saying "hey, that 25k you pay me is shit man, up it to 30k and me and my family can afford a better holiday"
    turning down 70m is ass, so don't give me that crap about what they should and shouldn't earn and what is a shit deal and what isn't, 70m man, 70m!!!!!!!!!! my heart breaks for him.
    2 - Can't argue with that, sign the fucking 70m contract then, hardly a paupers deal was it?
    3 - Was that his best pal? It seems plenty of the others weren't overly arsed at him not turning back up.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is true and very interesting, on many levels.

The NFL players do hate the franchise/transition tags across the board. And I do believe you are right they will try to fight to remove it. I'm not so sure that's a great idea though. I can understand not wanting to play on a 1 year deal, sure. But NFL teams will always find work-arounds. So the alternative for the players are front-loaded contracts that teams can get out of - which is basically a franchise tag anyway, or backloaded contracts with longer terms but money at the end. In a game with a salary cap and workplace hazards that can end your career in an instant, that's definitely worse for the players.

In baseball you have that psycho millennial pitcher for the Indians; Trevor Bauer. He is playing things the opposite of Le'Veon Bell and the NFL players. He says he wants to play on 1-year contracts his whole career. So far he has gone to arbitration and pushed the boundaries of what he should earn on a year to year basis every time.

Different sport / different dynamics but the crazy kid might be onto something. To think of it franchise tag style, being a questionable top 5 player at a position but being paid the average for the top 5 salary every year seems a hell of lot better than taking a long term deal and undervaluing yourself as contracts increase year after year down the line

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It would be except a similar situation happened to James Harrison on his way out the door and is happening now to Antonio Brown.

That locker room is toxic it tells me more about the people staying than it does the people going.

17. Rollo Tomassi

It’s so crazy for a pitcher considering the staggering percentage of them that undergo Tommy John surgery.

I’d think it be more palatable as a baseball position player because the career ending or altering injury is so much less.

And that one big guaranteed contract must feel like such a lifeline.

Football players and pitchers, those guys are at risk on every play so they have to want those guarantees.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah Idk the kid is weird as hell. Last year his arbitration figure was right around $6.5 mill so he requested like $6,420,696.9 or something wacko cause it was funny with the 420 and 69 stuff. He also doesn’t believe in tommy john injuries with the way he trains and warms up so I’m sure that’s not a concern

So far it’s working out for him though, he will get $13 mil to pitch this year and some of his peers who took long term deals early, even better pitchers, aren’t getting that much

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I never said Coleman is a better RB. I said I see ppl on here trying to convince themselves that Colmen being younger and cheaper may be a better overall OPTION. I disagree.....It's not my money so I wanna see Bell in green taking handoffs or short passes from the cow on ice!

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It could easily be argued that Gurley is a better all around player. More rushing TDs and yards per carry and more receiving TDs and yards per catch than Bell. While surrounded by lesser teamatete than Bell was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.