Titans to draft upside player in Vince Young? (Article inside)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 17, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I found this at nfldraftcountdown.com

Very interesting read

Who will the Tennessee Titans Draft? History Says Upside
    By Jeff Fuqua
    Posted April 17th, 2006

Tennessee Titans fans have been speculating on who their team will take with the third pick of the 2006 NFL Draft since January. Since that time, we've had the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Days, personal workouts and visits to Baptist Sports Park and about the only thing which appears certain amongst the smokescreens is that the Titans will use their first-round pick on a quarterback -- especially since owner Bud Adams said it himself a few months back.

Titans fans remain divided as to who that QB will be. Many have been in the camp of Vince Young since his dominating performance in the Rose Bowl. Others claim Matt Leinart is the surest bet. I'm here today to tell you who that pick will be and, more importantly, why history backs that decision.

To predict the future, one needs to examine history since history tends to repeat itself. Since 1994, here is a list of players chosen in the first round by the Titans:

1994: Henry Ford (26)
    1995: Steve McNair (3)
    1996: Eddie George (14)
    1997: Kenny Holmes (10)
    1998: Kevin Dyson (16)
    1999: Jevon Kearse (16)
    2000: Keith Bulluck (30)
    2001: none
    2002: Albert Haynesworth (15)
    2003: Andre Woolfolk (20)
    2004: none
    2005: Pacman Jones (6)

If you check a number of the pre-draft bios on many of these players, one word is seen multiple times -- "upside". Most of these players were considered outstanding athletes but many had limited experience at the position they were project to play in the NFL or other issues of concern.

Some call this type a player a "project". You look for the measurables that make the ideal NFL player then allow the coaches to mold that player into something special.

For example, many experts believed Jevon Kearse was the best athlete in the draft in '99 but no one was willing to take a chance with him. No one had enough film on him to evaluate his different skills properly. Some wondered whether "The Freak" was too big to play linebacker and too small to play the line. Reese is on record as actually trying to trade up for him because he felt he wouldn't last to #16. This "project" had 14.5 sacks his rookie season.

In '02, Albert Haynesworth was among a number of top defensive tackle talents available in the draft. The 6-foot-6, 320 pounder was said to have incredible athletic ability but questionable heart and technical skill. That didn't deter Reese who had him ranked over a couple of the DTs taken ahead of him when he was selected with the 15th pick. Though inconsistent and limited by injuries throughout his career, he has the ability to take over the game and has yet to reach his full potential.

The following year, Reese pulled the trigger for Andre Woolfolk who had the size/speed combination for a corner NFL teams covet but limited experience in the secondary as he was a wide receiver before his Junior year. At 6-foot-2 and nearly 200 pounds with 4.45 speed, Woolfolk was considered another project loaded with potential and a value at pick #28. An injury-riddled three season has limited his production and slowed his development thus far.

Such a boom or bust drafting approach has proven to have mixed results and Reese has admitted that a different approach must be considered when choosing early in the first round. At such times, the pressure is to take more of a sure thing because the stakes are higher. A miss could result in setting the team back a number of seasons as we've seen happen to many NFL franchises who are slow to recover from a bust.

If the Titans are going to try and take the safest approach in drafting for a position known to be difficult to draft talent for to begin with, then all logic points to taking Matt Leinart. You have the results which show Leinart to be a proven leader. You have an established relationship with former USC offensive coordinator and current Titans OC Norm Chow. You have Leinart with experience in a pro-style offense and, specifically, one which would fit the Titans current offense nicely. All indications are that Leinart could contribute the soonest and is the ideal fit for the Titans on many levels.

It appears a no-brainer that the Titans should take Leinart in a heartbeat if given the chance. All logic points to him being the safer choice.

But what of the upside? What of those intangibles that Reese so believes in? Does history share with us anything to indicate whether the safer pick is the one Reese will take this year?

It does.

In 1995, the Houston Oilers had the third pick of the draft. Leading up to that day, the pre-draft debates were whether the best QB available was Kerry Collins from Penn State or Steve McNair from Alcorn State.

Collins brought a nice resume to the table. He had been named an All American in '94 by the Associated Press, United Press International, The Football News, Football Writers Association of America, Walter Camp and The Sporting News. Collins also captured two of college footballs major postseason prizes the Maxwell Award, presented to the nations outstanding player, and the Davey OBrien Award, which goes to the nations top quarterback. He had come in fourth in the Heisman Trophy balloting that year along with breaking a number of Penn State's passing records. Collins made a serious run at the NCAA season passing efficiency record, falling just four points short (172., the fourth-highest figure in NCAA annals. He broke Penn State season records for total offense (2,660), completions (176), passing yardage (2,679), completion percentage (66.7), yards per attempt (10.15) and passing efficiency (172.86). In his final year, he led the Nittnany Lions to a undefeated season and a Rose Bowl victory. Many believe his team was deserving of the National Championship which went instead to Nebraska.

But when the time came for the Titans to make the choice, Reese didn't go with the big-name QB from a successful program who was considered the safest bet but Division I-AA Alcorn State quarterback Steve McNair.

McNair put up some incredible numbers in his own right. In his senior season, he racked up nearly 6,000 total yards with 54 touchdowns. He surpassed over a dozen records, was named an All-American, won the Walter Payton Award and finished third in the Heisman Award votings -- one spot ahead of Collins.

No one questioned McNair's athletic abilities. He was a special player. But at the time, McNair had plenty of doubters who felt he wouldn't be able to handle the complexities of the pro game. He hadn't faced sophisticated or talented defenses. He took most snaps from the shotgun in a wide-open offense and relied on his legs far often. Yet Reese took him with the third pick of the '95 draft and never looked back.

Could this draft be like deja vu all over again?

There is no doubt what Matt Leinart brings to the game. He has over 10,000 passing yards while at USC and just under 100 touchdown passes. He has a passer rating of nearly 160.0. The two National Championships and a Heisman Trophy speaks for itself. Few QBs have brought so many credentials to the draft.

But, like Collins had in '94, Leinart had talent surrounding him including a tremendous running back to help take the pressure off him in Reggie Bush. Ki-Jana Carter finished one spot ahead of McNair in the 1994 Heisman vote and two places ahead of Collins much like the '05 Heiman results with Bush finishing first followed by Young and Leinart.

This obviously isn't where the similarities end.

Despite over 3,000 yard passing, over 1,000 yards rushing, a passer rating of 164.0 and 38 touchdowns, and one of the most dominating performances in college football history when he lead the Longhorns to a National Championship victory over the Trojans, there remain doubts that Young can be successful in the NFL.

Many of the so-called "draft experts" bring up the same issues of Young as were mentioned of McNair leading to the '95 draft. They question his ability to read defenses. They wonder if he can take a snap from under center and play in a pro-style offense. They have no one to compare Young to which makes may take them out of their comfort zone.

Regardless of whether such concerns were legitimate with McNair then and Young now or these "evaluators of talent" are simply too narrow-minded and are unwilling to accept a player who plays the game a different way, they all agree on one thing -- Vince Young is a guy with rare ability.

"Freakish" ability.

Too much upside to pass on for Reese and the Titans in this draft.

Look for history to repeat itself. If available with the third pick of the 2006 NFL Draft, the Titans will take Vince Young.

2. 1028

1028 Active Member

Oh man, I PRAY that this article is right

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually, I think they are going to take Cutler. By having interest focused on Leinart and Young they guarantee that he will be there at 3. I saw the GM on NFl network and he called Cutler "Jay", but the others by their last or full names. He also said picking him as a local guy would be a big bonus for them. This draft more than any other in recent memory is just full of false reports and smokescreens. No one knows really who will pcik whom. I think the Jets are taking Davis as he is the only player not associated with them in rumours which may be their intent.

4. MyFavoriteMartian28

They are guaranteed that any 1 of the 3 of them is going to be there at #3, because I don't think we will see anyone trade up to 1 or 2.

5. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Whatever. I hope the Jets don't take any of those three with the #4 overall, anyway.

If all signs are pointing at the Titans drafting Young, then you better bet they're taking Leinart when they're on the clock. Nothin' but smokescreens in this business. They know the Saints are getting suitors, and they know it's most likely for Leinart. So, if all the signs indicate they want Young, that probably means they're trying to dissuade people from leapfrogging ahead of them for their man, Leinart. I'm sure Chow is begging to be reunited with his USC star QB.

6. PennyandtheJets

You must have not read the article. That article has nothing to do with the what the Titans are saying...the article looks back at their draft history and lists all the "project" or "freak" players they have taken.

7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I really hope this articles right and Leinart falls to us.

8. PennyandtheJets

WOW...I thought this was good enough to stay in NYJ forum, but apparently not. There is some really good research in this.

Wait a sec...why the hell was this moved to the NFL forum? I could understand maybe if you wanted to move it to the draft forum, but this shouldn't be in here.

9. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

My gut has always said the Titans would take Vince. I have been saying this for weeks.

10. PennyandtheJets

I really hope they do take Vince...I don't know what I would do for the few minutes the Jets would be on the clock if Matt was still available...[​IMG]

11. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

Please take young so mangini wont have any thought to take him at 4. (not that i think he would)