Time to Bench Wilk?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Iirc I think Donahue messed up his elbow so he's likely done for the season. Bass was coming off the edge but he's likely your second best edge rusher too...So it's stretched thin as is, and DD seemed like a contributor which sucks that he got hurt. Ugh.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

As far as we know he's playing with two separate injuries, and he's out there trying to help. I've discussed the cap repercussions of Wilk in the future and acknowledged that it's prohibitive, and even discussed alternatives.
    Making shit up about his character and integrity, and questioning another mans injury and pain tolerances, and reading psychobabble bullshit into it from a TV set is ridiculous IMHO. Two days ago some people scoffed at the idea they could win, now they're making shit up to cast blame for not winning.

#22 Walt White, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Mogriffjr, FJF and BomberJet like this.
  3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think the Wilkerson deal makes the Albert Haynesworth deal for the Redskins look like a steal.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If he and Leonard Williams are getting double teamed. That leaves a blocker for McLendon. We should have free runners every single play. We do not. So I'm really not seeing all these double teams that every one else is seeing.

So he's a little banged up. Welcome to every other in the box defender in the NFL. If you don't have some sort of injury or bumps and bruises playing defensive end/tackle in the NFL then you're probably not playing very hard.

I'm sick of hearing excuses for these dudes. They've underperformed. Wilkerson deserves to be benched. He'll keep playing for the contract, but he needs to be cut after the season. And then we can go the traditional route of just finding an Aaron Smith type of two-gapper that occupies blockers and keeps them off the linebackers. And then try to find edge rushers.

Enough trying to build a wall of 3-4 defensive ends as badly as Donald Trump is trying to build a wall blockading Mexico.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

We signed him to a five year contract. We haven't been trying to unload him at all.

I don't think he's being lazy or taking plays off. I just think he has zero explosiveness left in his legs. It's an ability problem. Not an effort problem.

Wilkerson now has two sacks in his last 14 games. Leo has one in his last 15 games.

Something needs to give. Put Leo on the edge with Ealy in a 4 man front with Wilkerson and McLendon up he middle.

Wilkerson can't pass rush. But he's still a tough man to move because of his long arms. He could be a good nose tackle if he accepts that role.

SOJAZ and Jets69 like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mac could not find a trade partner last season because his contract is prohibitive

Essentially we are stuck with his performance issues that you just broke down

Yes, reassign him as a NT ...if he gives the CS attitude cut him in The Spring

7. Jonathan_Vilma

There were zero rumors about trying to trade him last year. I doubt they would even try given his contract. Show me the rumors?

They explored trading him a couple years ago before signing that deal, but wanted a King's Ransom for him (at least a first round pick). No team was stupid enough to bite on that.

But they weren't dealing him last year or even trying.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wilkerson is legitimately just standing in the middle of the play at this point. It's one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

Can't wait for the extra cap space this offseason.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Our highest paid player

Jets69, fansince90 and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think that broken leg has made him a bit skittish. He doesn't look at all like pre-injury MoWilk.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Then we got things like this:

Mo looks cooked though, he's not nearly as explosive as before the knee injury.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

That's not an awful call in a normal scenario on 3rd & 9. When they need to move the ball down field it is an awful call. One of those players needs to stay and rush and occupy those blockers.

So bizarre. I see what they were trying to do though. Catch them throwing one of the short underneath routes they're known for. Except it's not fooling anyone when all three drop back. And it's obvious from the start.

So bad.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Using your DL to cover to me isn't a great idea especially on 3rd down. Brady won't fall for that, you have to get interior pressure on the QB, he was stepping up in the pocket all game long.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Wow! The things you dont see when you r watching on tv!

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Wilk. got his money and really seems to have retired. Anyone on this board who urged the Jets to resign him for big money own up.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he looks slow and out of shape out there. not the dominant player he once was.
    watching this made me sad

look how fast, strong and dominant he was. and his motor was non stop. now he looks old and slow and lazy

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Was just going to post this, but you said it perfectly. Not to mention is every O line they're going against 100% healthy? Must be...

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Depressing. It's easy to forget how good he was. He isn't even a shadow of that player anymore.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think there's a lot going on with MoWilk we're not seeing. First, his crew is gone now. Harrison first via FA, then Richardson via trade. He saw how things went south quickly with Richardson and they were most likely talking about it offline. Mo got his cash, but that injury I think is still in the back of his mind. Since they don't live in a vacuum, I'm sure Wilk has been reading and perhaps even listening to the tri-state media. Kinda in the same position as Carmelo Anthony was as far as knowing the team you're playing for is doing everything they can to dump your ass for just about any level of comp they can get. He's a pro, but seriously don't you think he's more concerned with his next stop than his present one? Macc got burned on this contract big time. Perhaps even worse than Fitz 2.0. 2 major heists in consecutive years doesn't look good at all for our GM. Perhaps we need a numbers guy to help Macc out.

TonyFtLaud and grkmanga31 like this.
  20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Macc is not the greatest in terms of contract negotiations. Both free agent contracts & if I'm not mistaken didn't Jamal Adams or Darron Lee not sign their rookie contract till the very end because they wanted the max amount and Macc finally gave in at the end. His track record of free agent selections has been questionable at best.

In terms of Mo, it's hard to really grasp why a player falls that drastically from prior greatness. For sure his supporting cast is not what it used to be. No more Harrison, no more Sheldon, not shocking that his play has slipped when he doesn't have the same kind of players next to him. Some players never return to prior form after serious injury and Mo may be one player where that's a reality. He doesn't have the explosiveness he used to and I think that it may be attributed to his injury, or perhaps his mentality.

Unless he's willing to take a pay cut, which I doubt he will be, the Jets have no sensible option left other than to cut him at seasons end. A mistake is a mistake and Macc, or whoever is GM, would be best to go ahead and get rid of players who no longer produce up to their contract.

Cman68 likes this.