Thor - Ragnarok!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't much care for it. For you younger folks, this vision of Thor might be your cup of tea but for me, it had too much of:

-Forced comedy: Far too often it seemed everyone was trying to be funny in a sitcom sort of way.
    -Stolen Script: Half the movie was lifted from the cartoon movie "Planet Hulk". If they had left that part out, better movie. There had to be a better way to get Hulk into the movie. What was up with the Dr. Strange cameo anyway????
    -Stale Villianess: Hela was your typical evil sister.
    -Fight scenes: Yawn... Ditto for the CGI
    -Jeff Goldblum absolutely sucked in his role.
    -UK invasion of Hollywood continues unabated. I guess there aren't anymore US born actors avaiable for work. Entire movie could have been produced by the BBC.

This movie won't endear itself to any of the core Thor fans. Completely forgettable although the theatre I was at had to bump underselling movies to accommodate the Thor overflow. Marvel will make money on this, but I don't think it was as good as the first two and felt more like a money grab.

Verdict- BD/download/pass

JMHO.

zace likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow, Cman i loved it!
    My favorite Marvel movies so far have been Civil War and now Ragnorak.

I can see how the comedy would be a bit much for some diehards, but a lot of it was very funny and casual viewers like my wife enjoyed it.
    Seems to be the way Marvel movies have been trending.

I'm not sure i understand your stolen script view tho. These are comic book movies, and most of the good ones have some basis in actual comics.
    The Sakaar sequence was Planet Hulk and Contest of Champions mashed together, and really well done imo.
    I don't believe they have the rights to do a solo Hulk movie, so it was a clever way to tie that great story line into the MCU.

The Doctor Strange part was a good tie in to this movie's place in the larger story arc.

I also thought Hela was a great villian, and actually wish we saw more of her.
    She was also kinda evil hot, which doesn't hurt ;)

A lot of impactful major events took place which affect the Thor franchise and Asgard going forward, but i won't put in any spoilers.

The 80's soundtrack was a little odd for me.
    Would've liked a little more connection to the underlying Norse mythology as well, which they kind of ignored.

All in all though I'd definitely recommend.
    I think we are in the middle of a great run which is just hitting it's peak.
    From Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians, Spider Man, Thor Ragnorak, Black Panther and ultimately Infinity War, we are seeing a historic run of comic book movies which may never be matched.
    The amount of story planning which has gone into all of this, while staying true to the source material has been impressive.

3. Cman68

Like I said, it wasn't for me. I didn't expect them to lift the script from Planet Hulk (which I loved BTW) and the comedy I just found funny in parts. Jeff Goldblum's character left me flat as the actor who did Planet Hulk's Collector should have been recruited to do this. Even a voice over would have been better..

Dr. Strange's cameo I guess served a purpose but that too felt forced. Female SuperVillians all seem too similar but again, its a matter of taste. Yeah, Hela definitely had the vamp strut (and the body to pull it off) working like a queen. :)

The 80's soundtrack was a reach out for us oldtimers but really didn't fit. Too many holes in the storyline like how on earth did the Hulk fly the Quinjet and other questions I guess I shouldn't have asked. I liked the first 2 Thor movies much more than this one probably because they were both far darker in tone. Lighthearted Thor with a haircut no less is ok. Just not for everybody. Best part of the movie was the wrap..

Now the Panther trailer looked pretty cool and the Star Wars Last Jedi looks like a winner too.

zace likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats most marvel movies these days. I pray Black Panther breaks that mold

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No offense personally, but civil war was terrible. They shoulda just made it about a difference in ideology than adding the whole UN and Zemo nonsense. It feels like that whole movie was scripted around the airport scene.

Marvel is in the business of making comedies to appeal to the masses rather than actual fans. It will eventually cause the collapse of their cinematic universe.

I agree with Cman, they coulda figured out a better way to do this than basically make this the planet hulk movie. Which woulda been awesome starring Beta Ray Bill. They coulda made a movie around that concept and worked the hulk in.

Cman68 and Red Menace like this.
  6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Can't comment on Ragnorak - going next Friday (off of work)

I have really high hopes for "Black Panther" from what I have read and the trailers I have seen.
    BP has always been one of my favorites - I own copies of his original appearances in FF, all of the Jungle Action series plus the 15 issue Jack Kirby run in the late 70's.

Cman68 and zace like this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Greatest black superhero ever. [​IMG]

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Night Thrasher

zace likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But cmon buckwild mercenary had been like fove superheros lmao

10. Cman68

What about: Deathlok the Demolisher? Marvel Astonishing Tales #26

#10 Cman68, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I wanted to go today to see it but my wife is feeling like shit so we are going to have to wait.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Dont you live near me?

13. Greenday4537

Atlantic County?

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im in Cumberland. But the amc in Washington twp has 5 dollar movies every Tuesday.

15. Greenday4537

Ah, that's only like 30 minutes or so away. I have a couple Franks theaters nearby. They also do Tightwad Tuesdays. $6 movies and $2.50 medium popcorns. But they don't have to super cool seating.

zace likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The seats make the experience

17. Greenday4537

We can go see a movie, I can bring my Jets blanket and we can snuggle in Jets jerseys.

zace likes this.
  18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I loved it, had the best 1 on 1 battles yet. At times the comedy gets a little too much, but at the end of the day shitty things still happen to Thor and Co, things that will effect MCU going forward.

Also Fox is in talks with Disney, once they get the rights to those characters, MCU won't be going anywhere. Personally, I think MCU has gotten better with each phase.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Agreed, maybe a little too much comedy considering the gravity of some of the events, but the comedy was funny for most part.
    Thought it was much better than first two Thor's..

I think the MCU is right in the middle of peaking.
    They've been killing it, and I expect a couple more hits with Black Panther and Infinity War.
    Superhero movies may never be as successful as Phase 3 of the MCU again.

101GangGreen101 likes this.