This team needs weapons <immediately> for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Oct 30, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the thing as i said before is the FA class this year at WR is very thin. we can get a stopgap number 2 or 3 WR maybe at best and retain Q and anderson but it's not going to improve from what he started with this year really. same goes for o-line nothing out there to really help us improve. meanwhile pass rushers there are like 6-7 guys we could sign that would improve us instantly even if a couple are just 1-2 year stop gaps and we can look to draft one in 2020. meanwhile the draft this year is pretty good for o-line and WR isn' bad either. yeah it's a good draft for edge rusher too, but when you factor in what's out there in FA we can't improve the WR or o-line that way but we can improve the pass rush at minimum for 2019 pretty easily and then look to draft a long term solution in 2020. it all depends how the draft goes. if all the worthy WRs and O-line are gone by our pick and there is a good edge rusher worth of the pick then yeah at that point you take him. but that's about the only way we should do that. and in that case our 2 3rd rounder need to include 1 o-lineman and maybe 2 or a WR

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What's up with Fowler? I haven't watched him since the draft so I don't have a feel for him being that guy. if he looks like his potential is reachable it seems like that could fill one need.
    I'll prolly try to watch him some and if he's showing the goods I bet Mac goes for him. Not sure of Lawrence's status otherwise and if he's attainable other than trade..

3. GasedAndConfused

he's interesting. had some locker room issues. hasn't lived up to the 3rd overall pick. doens't seem like a complete player yet but more a situational pass rusher. Jax is also stacked with good players on defense so he hasn't had much of a chance either. When he is in the game though he's shown some pretty dam good ability to get to the QB. last year he had 8 sacks in the season and 2 in the playoffs in limited snaps. will be interesting to see how he does with the rams the rest of the season. as far as lawerence goes he's a pending FA but dallas could sign him long term or franchise him. they franchised him this year to make sure he wasn't a 1 season wonder but he'll command top dollar on the open market

4. At this point i think everyone can agree that the 3 glaring needs are Edge/OL/High end skill.Frankly i dont think any of the 3 should be given priority except for which ever offers impact talent.

There is no way there wont be a pass rusher available to the jets w the possibility of doubling up if they so choose.

Fowler/Barr/Clowney/Lawrence(fwiw big D fans think he’ll leave)/Ray/Matthews Jr. if you wanna say acouple of these names will get re-signed have at it but a few will make it.Theres no reason the Jets will not have the cash or the appeal given the D already in place to reel in one possibly even 2 guys.

There willl be WR options though not at the same level as edge.Tyrell Williams,Randall Cobb & devin Funchess could make it to UFA & all make sense for different reasons;In fact the 3 of them w Enunwa would be a very formidable group w complimentary skillsets.

OL free agency is meh..have to see who shakes free but better depth options over Qvale/Ijalana..not much in terms of starters but for guys hitting 30. Meanwhile i think There are 3 clearcut top 20 OTs in Little,Williams & Cajuste. There could be 3 possibly 4 more given the the depth at the position.

Basically it looks like both Skill & edge can be upgraded in a major way via FA. However OL outside of depth isnt really promising in that regard.Luckily it is a very deep draft pool. Right now it looks like this is the optimal strategy to deploy at this extremely early stage.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay, I thought that was Fowler's situation but wasn't sure. Should be very visible w/ LA now and I'm gonna watch close...as is everyone else. If the side issues are resolved that could be the guy even if he doesn't get the high numbers, which might just make him a little easier to get.

The roster is crying out for an athlete on each side of the line of scrimmage. That would help a lot of guys on the roster now and is most likely a high priority for Mac, prolly priority one imo.

#105 Walt White, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How many games have Q and Robby been on the field and in sync with Darnold? We have yet to really see that. I like the addition of Williams a lot actually, and the WR FA pool is just as thin as the pass-rushing pool.

Sorry man, this is a bunch of fluff on your part. You don't point at 1 or 2 positions in the draft, and not consider others. You have to account for all scenarios, and you seem to not understand that.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh, so you're the reason we didn't get Mahomes!:p

8. 101GangGreen101

Fowler - Unproven, not worth the big pay
    Barr - Has not shown the ability to be a full time pass-rusher.
    Clowney and Lawrence more than likely will be staying

If by some miracle, Lawrence makes it out, you get him, but I highly doubt he leaves. D has the money for him. So that leaves 1 or 2 guys. They will sign one of them. Sign a receiver, as well. To me actually, the best case is to get more picks and address both positions, that to me is the best case. You won't get Little / Williams, but perhaps they can lock up Cajuste late in the first round and find a way to get back into the 2nd and get another pass-rusher for this Jets defense. From there, you can attack the C position. If you want to give Darnold more shots with the football, the Jets need a pass-rusher, so the Jets D can get off the field, of course line is a huge deal as well.

Little is the guy I really want, but he won't be there and the Jets won't trade up for him.

9. 101GangGreen101

I might be ... I wanted Darnold or Rosen in the worst way. :oops:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

i accounted for everything as it stands man. IDK if you arne't reading it all or just cherry picking. i loked at the big boards, seen what positions were going to be avilable, looked at FA and you literally just agreed with me that the WR FA pool was thin which is what i said but you sitll say it as im disagreeing with you. at this point it seems you just want to pick a fight or something? IDK but go back and read what i actually said. the only thing we disagree on is I think pass rusher can be solved in FA at least short term and you don't. everything else we agreed on but yout posts imply we are both 100% opposite on everything

11. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, like I said before you have to consider all scenarios, we can agree to disagree. Saying, "I just need to draft these 2 or 3 positions is short-minded."

12. ColoradoContrails

Great post!!!!

You absolutely have to factor in what you NEED, and how HARD IT IS to get one. Some here (and other pundits) said that the BPA was NOT a QB last year. Well first off, I think that was stupid, but let's say we agreed on that. The Jets NEEDED a FQB, so the BPA stuff doesn't apply in that case. This year they need a LT and an pass rusher, and maybe a stud playmaker, so you look at those positions and take the BPA within those spots.

Look, having two stud Safeties excites some people, but even if they become HOF'ers, they're never going to make as much impact as a FQB, or even a stud pass rusher. Moreover, look at what happens now, Sure the defense does really well for the first half, but because the offense can't stay on the field becuse they don't have the talent, the defense - and those two stud Safeties - gets tired, and then the game is lost.

I think they have to focus on offense in this draft, but that depends on what they an get in FA, and then who is available at their spot. What if the BPA at their spot is a Safety, then what? Macc needs to now build up the team around Darnold, assuming Macc is still here, and sticking to a BPA First philosophy won't get the job done.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Think about what you just said. No, really, THINK about it.

A good QB makes ALL the difference. Period. As such, there is no position of greater value, therefore there can be no position that's a higher rated BPA than a good QB. The only time you would rate another position higher is if you don't need a QB, or the QB class is weak. What scale are you using that says QBs are drafted "higher than they should be"? If a QB is a potential FQB, there can be no one rated higher (other than another potential FQB).

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed, true BPA is an illusion. Need is always factored in.. BPA = pick the best guy on your draft board, which is based off evaluating talent at positions you need.

#114 Sam Hammer, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post, but I'm not a fan of Funchess. I've seen him drop too many passes for the Panthers.

16. GasedAndConfused

i agree with that. a lot depends on how the draft falls. it's just an initial plan but things change rapidly before the draft (free agency) and during the draft. The only positon i'd avoid in the draft is d-line and safety early on. outside of that if a stud pass rusher falls or a lockdown CB then i understand the pick
    it's just based on a draft grade. a QB graded out as a 10-15 pick can easily go top 5 because positional importance even if they aren't a top 5 talent in the draft.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I'm confused. How can a QB be "graded a 10-15 pick" and yet go in the Top 5? By definition that means they WERE a Top 5 pick. Consider: the people saying a QB is a 10-15 draft pick are scouts and pundits, NOT GMs. The people picking the QB in the Top 5 - and placing themselves squarely on the hot seat for god and everyone to see are GMs. Whose "value" system are you going to trust?

Moreover, what is your definition of "talent", as in the talent that you're basing your 10-15 draft rank on? Raw, athletic ability? Combine numbers? College record? All the above? Whatever you're using however, you also need to factor in position impact, that is, how much of an impact does this player have on my team? A kicker may be the greatest athlete since Jim Thorpe, but his impact to the team is relatively low. Joe Montana was not a great physical specimen, but he WAS one of the greatest QBs of all time. So "talent" needs to be: Physical ability+ physical performance+intelligence+past performance+position impact. Using that formula, I would slot any top tier QB in the Top 10 as a rule of thumb, and then adjust from there.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Looks like we might in the running for a franchise LT after all. Also, the starting C from the Broncos might be leaving and he was a pretty decent C, could cover 2 holes right away.

GasedAndConfused and stinkyB like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

everyone is assigned a draft grade prior to the draft. the grade is irrelevant to the position. every scout grades different but as a fan we tend to get an average when looking around. for instance the nfl scale is this
    [​IMG]

so for last year the top 5 players were in order barkely, neslon, chubb, edmunds, and darnold. all 5 were graded between 7-7.49 making them pro bowl caliber players. those were the top 5 prospects. Edmunds fell to 16 so great value, but the other 4 were picked 2,3,5 and 6. the 2 outliers being mayfield 1st overall who was ranked 22 as far as grade goes (6.04 or should become an NFL starter) and ward who was ranked 12th drafted 4th overall so both of those were considered reaches. but cleveland liked mayfield over darnold and needed to take a QB although due to rankings people though they could have taken the best player (barkley) then taken a QB 4th overall instead which would have meant missing out on ward.

anyway for example last year if the jets were looking in the 10-15 range the prospects would be riddley, bryan, ward, rosen, vanderesch, and fitzpatrick. of course this is just 1 scouts example but the good thing is thanks to the internet we can average out all the scouts and get a general consensus. at the end of the day of course need plays a part but the concept is you don't draft the next joe flacco over the next barry sanders. it needs to make sense depending on need, grade, and who is available. all teams will grade players based on their scouts assesments and make a big board and cross off names as they get taken so when they are up they can look at who is avilable at the top of their list and maybe they don't take the top guy but the 2nd or 3rd guy based on positional importance and need. as it stands now the jets need at QB is 0 so if the BPA is a QB when we pick, there is no way we would take one, however due to the positional need, it would make for great trade bait.

20. GasedAndConfused

i sure hope we can land a couple for sure. we really need to improve on the o-line even if we have to overpay a bit

101GangGreen101 and mrjet80 like this.