This season is over..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 28, 2018.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I get what your saying to some extent but Darnold had plenty of time to throw on a lot of those passes vs Chicago with Mack out and it didn’t matter because the receivers don’t create any separation. We could have Cowboys Oline of the 90s and it wont matter if we are throwing out guys off the street and Kearse as the #1 guy. Sam needs weapons.

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Officially 11 years 1970-1980 with no playoff appearances . 1987-1997 was another 11 year stretch but with one playoff appearance ( 1991 ) as a .500 team....

NYJetsO12 and KWJetsFan like this.
  3. mrjet80

What came first the chicken or the egg? What the Jets really need is two high first round picks - one OL and one playmaker basically.....

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

An Oline that gets it's ass kicked. They ran for 57 yards 22 of which was Sam running for his life. That's where it starts. Sam had time a few times but they were getting beat across the board. They were 9 pt. underdogs because they were undermanned and on the road. But people think they should've won anyway and act shocked and hurt they didn't. Wow.

They gotta get a stud on that OL and a real fucking playmaker at WR and/or RB next year. That's when this shit gets decided.

mrjet80 likes this.
  5. mrjet80

Yes they do.....I’d love to see a repeat of ‘06 get a LT and a C high - the two most important positions on the line......another part of me would like to see them draft that game breaking # 1 WR they lack also....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's gotta nail it this year in FA and with the first pick.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. mrjet80

He should be able to secure three top FAs this year .....Edge, OL , and a skill player .

Cman68 and Walt White like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You won’t find anyone sane on this board who thinks Sam doesn’t need better weapons. All I’m saying is that a good to great OL is a force multiplier that we haven’t had in a while. Bigger holes mean larger chunks of yardage on the ground. Respect for the ground game provides space for receivers. That space gives your QB something to work with.

People talk about the coveted edge rusher for the D, myself included, making the entire defense better overall. It’s the same case for the OL. You lose in the trenches, you lose the game.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

depends what you mean. coughlin was on the hot seat twice and saved his job with 2 SB wins then when forced to retire. he had more ba dyears then good years with them. the giants owners have clung to a medicore QB for 14 years and fired their HC for benching him and haven't realized the past 5 years issues were mostly due to eli but they continued to surround him with talent instead of replacing him. trading ODB is tricky. they just gave him a massive contract. if they trade him next year they'll hit 35.5 mil in dead cap and 14.5mil of it will be their loss. they really can't move him until 2020 where they can save 4.5 mil but still have 14mil in dead cap. their out is 2021 on the contract so IDK if they would take such a big hit. and lets face it their last 2 choices of GM and HC were horrible. they stuck with reese as a GM for far too long as he ruined the team EA built for him. coughlin i get he is a good coach but reese should have been gone long ago and gettleman is pretty bad. mcadoo and schurmer were bad picks for HC as well.

boozer32 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's easy to say because of the amount of cap space we'll have, but who are the three players that you think we could sign?

Of course the hope is that we could sign 3 top FAs, but Mac can't secure them if they aren't available. Unless A.J. Cann makes it to FA and Mac can sign him, I don't know of any other OL who is a topnotch OL that Mac could sign.

Similarly, aside from Le'veon Bell, I don't know who Mac could sign at RB to significantly upgrade that position unless he signed a 36-year old Frank Gore, 33-year old Beastmode, or 34-year old Adrian Peterson. TJ Yeldon could possibly help as part of a rotation, but he's no great shakes.

At WR, Donte Moncrief or Golden Tate could help, but if neither of those two make it to FA, then the only one I see that I think could help much might be Geronimo Allison, and he's an RFA, so would cost us a draft pick. Enunwa, Kearse, Burnett, Matthews and Roberts are all FAs.

Tyler Eifert is the best FA and he can't stay healthy and on the field.

So where are those 3 players gonna come from?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

In addition to that, we’re competing with every other team and quite a few who also have a ton of cap space.

It’s nice to say we should get 3 top FAs but how often does a team actually do that?

Avery, Trumaine and Crow were nice signings and we all thought Long was going to be good. But did we really fill all our needs?

I don’t expect to get all the top OLineman and one of each of the top pass rushers, RBs AND WRs this off-season. It’s just unrealistic.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This may be Bowles last season. We'll see.

13. mrjet80

Well.......there is no guarantee of anything really. In the case of Bell a lot of teams would like his services but most may be wary of the attitude that comes with it. How much is he going to want per season and at what point would a team draw a line in the sand ? As a player he certainly would change the Jets offense singlehandedly and the most important question is does he want to play with the Jets ? If he does than I say Mac will find a way to bring him here no matter how high the cost. He knows he has to bring somebody in to jolt the fan base...Bell would do that.

The 2nd FA which I figured would be an OLB/EDGE should be a little easier considering several should be available. Although Fowler was traded to the Rams that doesn't mean he's going to stick out there past this season. Clowney may be franchised, Lawrence not sure. You also have players like Shane Ray and Anthony Barr.....but not sure how that will pan out.

As far as WR Mac will most likely resign Enunwa and Anderson is a RFA. I don't see a FA WR on another team who would do much for the Jets at this point that's a position they will have to upgrade through the draft somehow.

I was thinking the 3rd FA would be an OL of some type - not necessarily a LT. I'm hoping Mac can find a good young guard at least.....

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Knowing that good OL (esp. OT's) are worth their weight in gold, teams are locking up theirs long-term (Titans-Taylor Lewin; Falcons-Matthews; Bucs-Ari Marpi) so even with the Jets' huge cap space I doubt they can significantly upgrade the OL with FA buck$ alone. And with the sub-par performances of Wisconsin's (and Oregon's) OL thus far this year the upcoming defensive-heavy 2019 draft is going to be all that more defensive-oriented come draft day (loads of elite-level defensive talent available in this draft).

So, do the Jets (without a 2nd rounder) look to snag a pass rusher in FA along with an elite defensive blue chipper with their 1st round pick (e.g. Devin White, LSU LB; Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson) and look for OL help in rounds 3 and 4??......because I don't think there's an OT worth a high (#6-8 slot) first round pick and that includes Greg Little, Ole Miss; Jonah Williams, 'Bama; Dalton Reiser, K-State).

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Just another NYJ fan deluding himself instead of remembering that what he posted has being posted every year since 1970:mad:

16. mrjet80

Well this " deluded " fan is hoping for the best......nothing is guaranteed of course. I sure hope I don't reach 50 years of waiting but maybe that's delusional too....LOL

17. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

On a perfect pace for 6-10

18. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Based on NFL Math Prediction, Jets will win 6.7 games for this year

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The season isn't over, but we were never expecting a playoff year in the first place.

The Jets have 2 winnable games coming up against backup caliber QBs, and they could very easily get to .500 by the bye and have most weapons healthy for the following game against NE where they have 2 weeks to prepare.

I'm not saying they will make the playoffs (they finish with 6-7 wins most likely), but facing Osweiler and then Anderson/Peterman, they have a good chance to at least be in the thick of things in a few weeks.

I'm not saying I expect those wins, but it's possible and if they are to somehow squeak by NE, there will be a lot of hype. I'm not expecting that by a long shot, but any given Sunday, right?

Miami will be no slouch, though, so I hate looking that far ahead. Bills have great defense, too, so that will be tough but if Peterman is playing, it will be hard to lose.

#179 Sam Hammer, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    mrjet80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member