This isn't on Bowles or the players. This is on Woody.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 12, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry folks but no matter how you shake the stick, the Johnsons have to be held accountable. Micro managing any one game , anyone can point out the scruples and deficiencies. But to look at the overall picture and have the foresight to know what the future lays for the good of the franchise?

I wouldn't mind the loss AT ALL, if they had Petty leading the offense - at least there is something to gain from this by determining how the young man performed and hopefully gain the valuable experience + determine what 2018 has instore. But to have the 'head in the sand' approach that this ownership is displaying to allow Bowles to constantly put on a the field a QB that is about to be 1 step away from the play-by-play booth? Just don't get it.

#21 BomberJet, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Centiment and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Bowles doesn't start Petty the next game, and he's allowed to continue to be the HC, then YES, that IS on the Johnsons.

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

There were two moves this season that were incompatible with a complete rebuild, which is what we should have done: 1) keeping Bowles, a veteran coach who may not ever get another chance and who thinks he is coaching for his job; and 2) starting McCown, which really does nothing for this team’s future, but he is a competent vet who is going to have some good games. If you wanted the true rebuild, both of the above could not happen. That’s why you are going to see 5-11 or 6-10 instead of 2-14. Long term we shall see just how bad the damage is, obviously if any QB goes before us and becomes a star, the Jets will rue the way they handled this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Get ready. Bowles will most likely start McCown.

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This is way too reasonable and not nearly as fun as vacillating between pitchforks and COY honors. Just my two cents.

Also, Woody is a very shitty owner, but today's loss in Tampa wasn't a direct consequence of his awfulness.

FJF likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That's every week. The issue is now are they gonna bring these tools back next season.

7. boozer32

Yes, it is. Woody owns the team he hired Bowles and Macc. They are paid to have this team prepared and ready to compete every week. They are required to pick players that would make this franchise successful. if Woody is writing them checks then they need to fulfill Woody wishes.

8. boozer32

Training wheel for coaches.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. BomberJet

Yeah, that last TD with 0:28 seconds on the clock in the 4th pretty much determined that :(

#29 BomberJet, Nov 13, 2017
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It is on Bowles and Mac. I've been preaching for years to upgrade the OL. Mac has spent a total of two 5th round picks covering three drafts on the OL. The jets OL was abused by a team that everyone else has pushed around. Todd Bowles NEVER has his team ready to play on the road and the team has blown three winnable games this year by surrendering leads. oh well, at least Bowles did develop a young QB in this rebuilding year.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Considering last year when Fitz threw his 6 picks and TB still played him, I don't see anything that says TB learned a damn thing and will start McCown again. In fact, I can see him starting McCown until week 15. Best chance to win and all that jazz..

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this piece of crap will continue to be under center until he is knocked unconscious

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep old buddy. Looks like McCopter will have to make his return. As long as Josh is serviceable behind center, Todd is gonna play him. That's the reality of 2017.

@FreePettyNow!

14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Bowles starting McCown is a virtual certainty. GUARANTEED. However, I really have a hard time believing this is somehow Woody or Chris's fault? Woody hires guys that he believes in and then he leaves them to their own devices. He trusts the guy in his employ. I happen to agree with that approach. But the unfortunate thing is he's trusting a guy that's not worthy of being trusted. In regards to hiring people, Woody is about as good of a judge of talent as Leon Hess was.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If they can't sign Cousins this team will wallow in shit for the next 15 years.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Are you referring to Bowles or Mack not worthy of bring trusted?

17. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We're just a shit road team. There's no other magic to it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. BomberJet

Bottom line is the Jets need, in the most dire of all requirements, a meddling owner that knows what he wants and has a specific goal and plan in mind to reach it. If George Steinbrenner were the owner , for sure, there would at the least been some shaking and stirring in the org.

Ok, there may be times when such an owner would be a detriment to the overall stability of the team, but what have they accomplished so far since Woody has taken over?

Woody is trying to go the Art Rooney 'patience is a virtue' philosophy routine , but it's not working.

#38 BomberJet, Nov 13, 2017
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you developed this conviction after one loss, it isn't a conviction, it's a rant. OTOH if you had this conviction all along, then have the balls to make threads like this after a win when the audience won't be so sympathetic. I don't make these threads because I've thought all season Bowles is an average coach who would go 8-8 with an average roster and an average QB, which we don't have. And there's nothing exciting about a thread where I say Bowles is average.

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't get where the "I love Bowles" crowd comes from after a win. The guy is a complete zero as HC material. I was driving yesterday listening to the pre-game and the announcers were praising Bowles for the job he's done this year for not losing the locker room and they spoke matter of fact that it was already determined that he'd be back next year. For guys that should know better these 2 guys haven't a clue. The roster is riddled with young guys on their rookie deals. That is the thing motivating them more than anything or anyone.

Maybe it turns out that Bowles is a good motivator, I don't really know, but that doesn't mean he's a good HC. Any member of the flight crew would motivate me, that doesn't make them coaching material. Herm was a good motivator but a terrible HC.

imho Bowles was retained this year because you don't bring a new HC in the midst of a tear down, rebuild transition year. You hire the next coach after you've shed the team of the old tired vets and once you've made personnel decisions on the rebuild during FA and in the 2018 draft.

Where Woody gets blame is not changing the pecking order to have Bowles report into Mac. If he did that and gave Mac the power he needs he could have demanded they use McClown solely as the backup or alternatively pull him from the starting role once Petty was healthy enough to start. It also would let Woody know if Mac is the guy for the long term. If he changed the reporting and Mac still allowed Bowles to start McClown all season during what is clearly a transitional year for personnel then Woody would know he needs a new GM too. Right now we don't really know if Mac is the guy and likely won't know until it's too late (i.e. after the FA period and 2018 draft) should he screw the pooch again with his QB pick(s).

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.