Third Ranked QB in this Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

Appearantly, Brady Quinn is falling like a rock, but theres no doubt the QBs in the class go Quinn/Russell or Russell/Quinn.

After that...who is there?

Drew Staton has everything you look for in a QB but the consistency. He's actually a similar prospect to Quinn IMO, but without the coaching and pro style offense Quinn got in college. Of course, that pro style coaching for Quinn helped his development alot, and gives him a large edge in this draft.

Trent Edwards is similar to Jay Cutler. A QB with all the physical tools, but played on a crappy team so will be called a "workout warrior" by many. This is a big deal to me because guys like Edwards tend to be slightly underrated before the draft, then become a little bit overrated after the combine. Fans put such an emphasis on a college QBs TEAM performance that they ignore that that does nothing for projecting him at the NFL level. I actually like Edwards alot.

Troy Smith is another guy, and one guy many will be quick to call the third best QB. Hes a confusing guy to me. He's got good physical tools, but his size is terrible for an NFL QB nowadays, and I'm not so sure Ohio State's talent and coaching didn't help him look as good as he did. He's a guy I think gets alot of points for how his team did.

Kevin Kolb is another guy I like alot. He's got the physical talent, but the system he was in at Houston is pretty far from a pro style offense.

Anyone else I'm missing?

Could the Jets possibly take a flier on any of these guys in the later rounds? I would really hope they're looking at Kolb, Edwards, and Staton. And yes, I do know we traded up for KC last year.

Who would you rank as the third QB in this draft? If the Jets WERE looking at a guy (not Quinn or Russell), who would you want them to be looking at?

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I think Troy Smith will eventually make himself into a good NFL QB. I really think that. But I won't get into that too much...

I think the draft goes:
    - JaMarcus Russell- I can see him being disapointing in the NFL for some reason.
    - Brady Quinn- Should make a decent NFL QB. He won't be in the HOF
    - Troy Smith- I think he'll make it in the NFL
    - Drew Stanton- He could make a decent QB.

In terms of when he gets drafted, Drew Stanton is the 3rd QB in the draft.

If it were my call, it would be Troy Smith.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

What makes you like Smith so much?

4. JetFanInPA

I just like the way he plays. I really don't like him THAT much, I just think he has a good chance to be a good NFL QB. Really, it's just a hunch. He's a pretty accurate passer and has the speed to make a difference. He seems like a good leader on the field. When I saw him play a few times, I liked how he played and thought that he'd make it in the NFL.

I don't think his height will affect him to the point where he struggles as a result of it.

5. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I'm going with Stanton, he's got moxie.

6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I say Troy Smith. I don't necessarily think he'll be the best of the rest but I think he'll go 3rd. He's the type of guy like Brad Smith that you can do a lot of tricky stuff with while he waits in the wings.

Meanwhile, if Detroit and Cleveland both pass on Quinn, who would take him? Hopefully, he goes before 25 so there's one less pick the Jets have to worry about. Who else would be in the running?

7. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Miami would run that card up to the podium

8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

He will not fall that far. There's a lot of teams that could use a young QB, even if he's not going to be their immediate starter (Tampa Bay, Houston, Miami, St. Louis, Carolina, Green Bay, & KC, just to mention a few before #25).

9. JetFanInPA

I like Troy Smith going either to Baltimore in round 2 or Cleveland in round 3.

10. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

I agree that Russell is a better pro prospect than Quinn, but so far as I know Quinn has only dropped from the top spot because of Russell's rise. Combine that with Leinart's free fall last year and Aaron Rodgers' the year before and I think people expect QB#2 to drop further than they should. Quinn remains an excellent pro prospect who would have been in the running for top pick last year. Detroit may very well pass on him because Millen needs immediate impact players to save face, but how could Cleveland? Or even Tampa for that matter? Minnesota, Houston.....there are plenty of teams in the top ten that will take Quinn. Maybe teams have Johnson and Thomas ranked ahead of him, but the list is short.

Another name you didn't mention who is mildly intriguing is Jordan Palmer. Excellent size, and bloodlines have raised mediocre college QB's in the recent past. Carson was a late bloomer at USC and obviously has exploded in the NFL; Jordan may be worth a flyer for a team willing to groom him as the number three.

11. Phyr

Phyr Member

How can you make the statement that Quinn is falling like a rock. He isn't doing anything to warrant a drop in his stock. He is going to be at least a top 10 pick.

12. coydoggie

coydoggie New Member

Colt Brennan

This is the kid from Hawaii - like Colb he is a product of a system - but has the tangibles much more than Tommy Chang coming out of the same system - frankly Stanton had an off year, Smith is a stretch - not much else out there

Brennan has great field presence, sees the whole field and has an arm

13. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Why isn't anyone talking about Leak? He won the National Championship, and seems to have a good arm, but why isn't he even mentioned as a first round prospect?

14. JetsLookingforDWare

His team won it, not just him. Yes, he had a GREAT game that day, but he's been very inconsistent his whole college career.

As far as his prospect status, it's because he's short, and he dissapointed most of his career.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Is Chris Leak really doing that poorly?

16. JetFanInPA

I think he has a chance to get drafted and stick as a backup in the NFL. I think he'll go anywhere from rounds 5-7. He's a little short, but he's pretty accurate and has the mobility to matter.

17. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

True, this guy got a scholarship offer from Wake Forest as an 8th grader.....obviously, the guy had high expectations, he may have done decent, but he was expected to be "the shit", something he Definetly wasn't

18. JetFanInPA

A scholarship offer to play DI football as a middle schooler? That's either bad sarcasm or serious ass-talking.

19. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

He's staying in school.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Trent Edwards!