There are a lot of knowledgeable football fans on this board...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 28, 2018.

1. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

...which is just one of the reasons why I enjoy posting here so much. I really respect the opinions of a lot of you guys, which is, if I am permitted, I would like to solicit ya'll's opinion of Trubisky. I know you guys watched the game today, and as knowledgeable and longtime football fans, I would really appreciate your objective, "outsider's" opinion of our QB. Judging him by what you saw from him today, what do you think of him as a young NFL QB? Were you impressed by his play today, or not really? I would really appreciate hearing your opinions, since we all watched the game today. Specifically, would you take him over Darnold if you could right now, or do you think Darnold has more talent?

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"ya'll's?" Really? Aren't you in Chicago?

The word you wanted is "your."

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It really sucked losing to him. I officially hate him now. Sucked nobody got a clean hit on him :mad:

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think Trubisky will always succeed when he goes up against a Todd Bowles coached team-- probably the only NFL coach who would turn down an offensive pass interference penalty, and give Trubisky a chance to get a first down by making 10 yards, instead of 2 downs to make TWICE as much!! Dumb dip!

boozer32, NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trubisky's no Mahomes but he has the potential to be a good QB. The bigger question IMO is whether Nagy is legit. If he is, Trubisky can be top 15; if not, he'll be below average. Darnold's rookie year is going similarly to Trubisky's, but Darnold is a 21 year old rookie instead of a 23 year old rookie, so I wouldn't trade Darnold for Trubisky.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I was very unimpressed will Trubisky today. Im in Chicago now and was at the game today, the guy sitting next to me put it like this. Sam Darnold is already better than Trubisky. Now I don’t know if I’d say that yet, but I think he’s going to pass him and never look back.

Mitch is very inaccurate, which was on display today, hes a good runner but a bad thrower, he reminds me ALOT of Blake Bortles and how has that worked out for Jacksonville

So to sum it up, no I wouldn’t trade SAm for Mitch

NCJetsfan, FJF, NYJFOREVER and 5 others like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I see a guy who can be a solid above average QB, but never an elite one. I think Darnold has more upside given his age, but he can't do much with his current supporting cast.

#8 CotcheryFan, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Thanks but just ignore the next couple days here. It’s overreaction central.

To answer your question I’d still take Darnold. I may be biased here, but the difference between the team around Trubisky and the team around Darnold is night and day. There’s nothing wrong with that though. Trubisky has the potential to be a good QB and he’s already showing flashes. What I like about Darnold is that he’s got ice in his veins and he puts his head down and works hard. We clearly are building this team slowly and in my opinion the right way (i.e. not spending a ton on free agents and trading the farm for someone) so I am hopeful with a better team around Sam he will look great. I think it’s still too early either to judge definitively who is better though.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Trubs has improved but it's tough judging him when Allan Robinson, his #1, wasn't really out there. ARob hasn't put up big numbers BUT the threat of him out there could have helped him tonight. What he does have is a good OC and coach who will put him in situations to succeed. So right now, he's using his legs more. I really don't see him being a super talented passer but I think he can be in the sense of what Cam Newton can do. Cam isn't the most gifted passer but he's so good at extending plays and using his legs to get first downs.

He also has a good supporting cast, so guys like Howard/Cohen out the backfield help him a lot. The WR's right now aren't elite but they are good enough guys...guys i feel Trubisky can grow with as time goes on. He's still raw as a passer and knowing concepts from what I can tell, but that doesn't mean he won't improve (hell he already has from last year) and having someone with an offensive mind to make the game easier for him, will help him a ton. I think the Bears have a nice thing going on there.

11. Walt White

There's one Buddy >>

Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

On Jets post game Bart Scott seemed less than impressed with Trubisky. Actually didn't seem to like him at all.

13. Walt White

Only guy worth a damn on that show, and station.

He's a competitor and prolly hated to see them lose to Trub. I did, lol. Bet that has something to do with it. Didn't watch it yet but will later...for Scott.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Honestly, Trubisky was pretty bad today. If the Jets played a QB who was on a roll, the final score would have been 52-10 instead of 24-10. That is how bad the Jets were. Not all Mitchell's fault though. I thought the Bears were too cute with their play calls. Should have just run simple plays, because the Jets could not stop that either. I would take Darnold over Trubisky. Having said all of that, I think he will keep getting better. He will be a solid QB in the NFL.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's nothing special. Clearly the worst QB of the top QBs from that draft Mahommes and Watson look special.

No I wouldn't take him over Darnold.

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Agree

But... you just gotta have that special sauce of young smart coach, developing offensive talent, and some swagger / confidence

I see that chemistry mix in all the blooming great ones since Montana

17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He’s absolutely terrible. Reminds me of Bortles. Will have random good games but is a better runner than passer. Was missing guys open all over the field. However, the only reason he looks competent is because you have an excellent offensive coach in Nagy so there’s that!

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

And yeah I despised that move up. I had them rated

Watson
    Mahomes

Trubisky

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I disagree with the thread title.

#19 Sam Hammer, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

To be honest I wasn't that impressed with his arm and his decision making, but I was impressed by his toughness and deceptive quickness. Playing on a team like the Bears with a stacked defense in an outdoor stadium that is going to see a lot of bad weather games and lots of high winds, toughness and mobility can go a long way. If he can protect the football and move the chains (even if it isn't pretty at times) I think the Bears can win with him.