Theoretically speaking..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 19, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because that gives us the best chance of getting the QB we want. Whether that QB then develops is another matter. You can't take a player that's already been drafted by another team. The lower in the draft, the lower the chances of players to become topflight players. Yes, Carr and others have been drafted lower and turned out very good, but most QBs taken lower, never wind up being anything other than JAGS or backups.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

A huge factor in all this is who will be coaching this team moving forward. Assuming Bowles isn't given a pass, whoever the Jets bring in will have a philosophy and will want to draft the QB and grow the team according to that philosophy. I think anyone who has spent even a little amount of time watching Rosen and Darnold can tell they are two very different breeds of QB. You really do need the first pick to get the "right" QB rather than just any ol QB.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally angry over this issue and I'm there with you and CMAN on this point. This has been my biggest disappointment of the Jets leadership's and its massive inability to even do a rebuilt properly.
    IMHO it would be completely idiotic to exit 2017 without knowing what we have in Petty and Hack. This team is going nowhere with our current coach and QB. If the season is lost why not start building around the young players and see what we have.
    I truly believe Bowles is so far over his head is not even funny. He is clueless offensively and strategically. Even on defense, in particular with our LB group. Lee is not the answer inside and we are wasting his speed and agility in that position. No different that the bullshit move of playing Richardson at LB. I blame Bowles for his inability to get more out of the defense. I don't feel he has the wherewithall to motivate this team. All coaches need to grow in that position, but Bowles seems to be unable to see the basic as to what is really needed to make this team click properly.

hwismer, NCJetsfan, Bellows1 and 2 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, you don't need a top 3 pick to find a FQB, but it increases your odds IF you know what to look for. You can also find a FQB in a later round, although probably not past the 3rd reliably. But in a draft like this one might be, with Rosen and Darnold - or maybe just one of them - they're consensus FQB-quality guys and you'll the top pick of only one comes out. You don't get the Mannings, Elways, Aikmans, Youngs, et.al in lower rounds.

Here's two articles that I found that discuss the merits of taking a QB with a top pick. The first one actually tries to make your point, but IMO he really doesn't. He found that of 86 QBs taken in the 1st round since 1967, 25 went to the SB, and as many as 20 have been, or will be, inducted into the HOF. IMO that's pretty good odds of finding a true gem. He doesn't get into what happened to the other 61, but certainly all of them weren't busts, and likely most were at least successful.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-round-quarterbacks-really-worth-the-gamble

The second article concludes more of what I think is true: (Based on results through the 2014 season).

"In the past five seasons, 29 quarterbacks have started a playoff game, and 16 of those were first-round picks. Those 16 are responsible for 36 of the 60 postseason starts, and nine have made multiple playoff starts. Of the 13 non-first-round quarterbacks, just five have made multiple postseason starts in that span (of the five, two are Hall-of-Fame locks)."

The Jets have very rarely used their first pick on a QB, and have been in a QB drought for decades, which I don't think is a coincidence. Their only true FQB, Namath, actually was one of THREE QBs taken in that year's draft. I'm not advocating taking 3 qbs, but you know what? Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, as important as having a great QB is.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Well said. My concern is that I simply don't trust our current GM to make the correct choice with a top three draft pick. This is a talent evaluator who thought Hackenberg was worth a second; when clearly he wasn't. Maybe a player will make himself the consensus number one QB in college; and thus, make the selection a lay-up. But if it's a choice between several players, I'm not certain that Mac chooses the Wentz over the Goff if you will. If you don't have confidence in the team's current leadership, it makes tanking, which I find abhorent as a fan for numerous other reasons as well, a pointless exercise that will just lead to further futility.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The odds that Mac will get it right are better the higher/earlier we are drafting. If the best choices are removed (drafted by other teams), it increases the odds that he will miss or perhaps draft defense. You don't avoid drafting high just because you fear the GM will make the wrong picks. Besides, he may not even be back next year. I would think that 0-16 might increase the chances that Woody would just clean house.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with 100%, That's why I want Macc and Bowles gone and REAL, TRUE REBUILD, with proven knowledgeable people doing it.

I have a feeling if Macc is still the GM, even if they have the 1st pick, he'll draft "D" BPA.

Cman68 and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This year the #1 pick is likely to be a 1 or 2 win team, possibly several 2 win teams picking 1 to 3. The reason is that a bunch of teams were both terrible heading into the off-season and then made themselves worse in preparation for the 2017 season.

Jets, Browns, 49ers and Bears at a minimum made moves that were significant downgrades for this season. Several teams traded draft value last year (would have helped in 2017) for draft value in 2018 (no help).

With that kind of dedicated tanking going on the records at the bottom of the league should be worse than average this year. All it takes is half the tanking teams plans working out and you have 2 teams with 2 wins or less at the end of the season.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

But we have the coach for the job.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think are stiffest competition in terms of getting the top pick will be from the 49ers and Browns. 49ers I think are talented enough and well coached enough to pull out 2-4 wins....This is the remaining schedule for 49ers

Sun, Oct 1
    @
    [​IMG]Cardinals (toss up)
    4:05 PM

Sun, Oct 8
    @
    [​IMG]Colts (toss up)
    1:00 PM

Sun, Oct 15
    @
    [​IMG]Redskins (L)

Sun, Oct 22
    vs
    [​IMG]Cowboys (L)

Sun, Oct 29
    @
    [​IMG]Eagles (L)

Sun, Nov 5
    vs
    [​IMG]Cardinals (toss up)

Sun, Nov 12
    vs
    [​IMG]Giants (L)
    4:25 PM

Sun, Nov 26
    vs
    [​IMG]Seahawks (toss up)

Sun, Dec 3
    @
    [​IMG]Bears (toss up)

Sun, Dec 10
    @
    [​IMG]Texans (L)

Sun, Dec 17
    vs
    [​IMG]Titans (L)

Sun, Dec 24
    vs
    [​IMG]Jaguars (L)

Sun, Dec 31
    @
    [​IMG]Rams (toss up)

Br4d likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The first two games in your list should not be toss-ups, they're both on the road.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

All the teams listed would go QB if the right one was there, except for maybe the Colts. Brees, Manning, and Rivers aren’t getting any younger.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.