The secondary is entering a world of pain...a WORLD of pain

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedGreen89, Aug 16, 2014.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

We do not have the pass rush the 49'ers do...that masks an awful lot of mediocre corner play.

jilozzo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

We have a better defensive line they have better Outside Lbs. You cant rly account for inside linebackers as pass rush more like blitz potential.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I wonder what's next,Maybe we should hold open tryouts for anyone who can play cornerback.If not we should trot Calvin Pace out there and give him a shot

4. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I haven't seen anything written about Jeremy Reeves, the little guy with off the chart measurables. Has he played? I didn't see the game here- tho they DID show the Cowboys game 5 times on 3 different stations.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be bad.

Ryan's teams relied on man corners to free up the safeties to support the LBs and support the D-line with blitzing.

But our current team don't need no help up front and our LBs with Davis can run their own shit now.

So move the Safeties back to support the secondary. Let Milliner play man on WR2, let Antonio Allen play cover 2 on WR1 with Laundry in support, and let Pryor reek havoc all over the field.

6. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

The worry with this is the pressure on the qb will be severely diminished. Lets all be honest here guys our d-line is great at stuffing the run but very so-so in rushing the passer. Without the blitzing safety's and/or LB's our d becomes much more vanilla. Now that isn't always a bad thing as im sick and tired of the overload blitz on 3rd and long and always watching a wr run free over the middle but without it in the playbook regularly it will be a lot tougher to bring down or hurry the qb this year.

NYJetsO12 and legler82 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Yes, our D-Line and LBrs are not all time great, especially at smashing the QB. BUT our D-Line is above AVG and our LBrs are more or less AVG, maybe even better depending on how much Babin has left and how much better Coples will be this season. Bottom line is they don't need both Safeties for support anymore. Send one safety back to support Antoino and keep one safety (Pryor) around the box to patrol the middle and blitz.

Of course that won't work with nickle or dime with one or both safeties off the field. So I guess we're fucked!

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Wilson is a first round pick. How come he can't be relied on as a starter? I mean a good starter.

But ftr we knew long ago that Wilson can't play outside. Leave him as the nickel and look elsewhere for the outside coverage.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the secondary is entering a world of pain if the defensive line can't get any pressure like we saw in cincinnati. Obviously there are injury and personnel concerns with the secondary but they would've struggled saturday night even with everyone healthy the way Dalton was able to stand back there, take his time and pick them apart. Hopefully it was because it was just preseason and not indicative of the type of pass rush we will see in the regular season.

NYJetsO12 and Jay Bizniss like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Thought Landry's poor support in the passing game was the rationale for drafting Pryor?

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

What I have been preaching.. Thank you.. The secondaries success will be dependent on our front 7.

12. legler82

We have great interior pass rushers but lack a consistent speed rusher(s) to compliment on the edge. It's been a major deficiency in our defense since Johnny Abe was shown the door.

13. Footballgod214

Landry will come out for Wilson in Nickle, leaving Pryor the loan Safety. It's up to Rex which end of the field he plays him from down to down. Chess match of sorts. Against the Bungles Pryor seemed to play strong safety up close to the box. But that's one game...who knows.

14. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I think in the box is where we will see Pryor most.. Not sure how great he will be in coverage against some of these faster guys to be honest.

15. legler82

Interesting defense but it wouldn't the nickel. You don't replace a safety with the nickel back, you take out a down lineman or LB. I believe the nickel moniker is because you want to have 5 DBs out there to protect against the pass. Kinds of defeats the purpose to have 4.

16. Footballgod214

i think you're right. harris or davis comes out in nickle. Dime must be were a safety come out for a 4th DB?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Big Nickel uses an extra safety instead of a slot corner.

Dime usually only has one LB, 4 corners and two safeties.

18. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Navarro Bowman and Aldon Smith aren't walking through that door

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Our secondary will give up HUGE yardage all season. Funny to think the Defense will be worse than the Offense this year. Rex will get fired over a Defense which has seen six consecutive 1st round picks and the majority of the salary cap.

20. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Can we ban this pats troll already

JetsVilma28 likes this.