The Russians are coming !!!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You should have a parade to protest your opprussion.

Okay, I was reaching.

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

The last known incarnation of that on this website was called the Justice League, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, for them, there were no biased judges to hear their case....

3. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Nah I’m good. If only I had the time to post here 40,000 times, I’d consider it.

4. abyzmul

You have a sad definition of "good".

But I'll definitely agree.

5. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Lol

6. abyzmul

The Justice League was a bunch of teenagers acting out, but that was definitely an entertaining interlude, and they didn't try to start their own forum out of it.

7. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I do hope political threads do maintain some presence on this forum! Despite all being Jets fans, there seems to be a wide spectrum of political views among the people who post here. It's interesting to see the various points of views on political news, while all being miserable watching the Jets be the Jets.

New Zealand is relatively left leaning compared to even the Democrats over in USA, so the news that gets reported is typically pretty narrowly focused. While I don't necessarily agree with certain points of view expressed here, it provides some much needed perspective in what is otherwise a echo chamber western society.

It does seem like a tough thing to moderate however, content-wise and how chippy it can get discussing politics.

8. abyzmul

Political posts on an American football forum are inappropriate IMO.

About 10-15 years ago the server for this forum crashed and a bunch of people here went to a forum called Jetnation for a short time.

That site had so many issues, mainly spillover drama from personal relationships and the political forum from the parent site JetsInsider.

The main drama stemmed from moderators PMing people with physical threats, personal encounters (that site was largely founded around tailgate parties) , it was something that you would see on a street and avoid.

Needless to say, when Petrozza got this site working again, the people here flooded back. It was too strange.

This site has done a good job of avoiding personal contact and I think that is the key to the success of an internet forum. Just keep it online, keep it an occasional entertainment. When you make it personal, then you ruin the dynamic.

Politics are far too personal for a sports forum, IMO. They do not belong.

You can learn about American politics somewhere else. Google is your friend.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Never mind.

#69 HomeoftheJets, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. abyzmul

I'm editing this because HOTJ is good people.

#70 abyzmul, Apr 16, 2018
    Brook!, HomeoftheJets and Cidusii like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't know Petrozza runs the forum. In that case it's his right to do what he wants with it.

#71 HomeoftheJets, Apr 16, 2018
    Brook!, BrowningNagle and Cidusii like this.
  12. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I suppose that's where I think this forum got it right: politics in the actual sports sub forums aren't tolerated, but the threads here in the BS sub forum is effectively "Enter at your own risk". Whether this was intended or not, I'm not sure. I just recall political threads here since I joined haha. Back then I remember trying to decipher Hobbes' posts. Now I just gloss over whatever Ron posts since it's typically copy pasted from some political commentator's article rather than his own opinion, which doesn't appeal to me.

In terms of Google vs. here, I personally find it beneficial to get a broad range of individuals' views on top of whatever news sites lump people's views into.

As a segway, I do think that the worst part of indirect democracies, that rely on representatives, is that people end up being lumped into two groups, Us vs. Them, where everyone on the other side must hold the same opinions on every single topic of concern.

Back on topic, the comments sections may be an alternative approach to getting individuals' views, but they're basically cesspits where the best comments are probably on par with the worst ones here.

I do think the locked thread's name was dumb. It discounts a large proportion of a population based on that same Us vs. Them mentality mentioned above. I just hope that doesn't cause a complete ban on politics on this site.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. abyzmul

I understand your viewpoint. I'm actually glad that someone from another continent values the views of a bunch of heathens on this site.

But the personal values of people from anywhere can be toxic, and this is a site that is about American football. It is pretty easy to distract from the real reason this forum is here and political affiliation is not a good reason.

Cidusii likes this.
  14. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Been reading this board fron Ben Grahams halcyon days and posting on bs board as i dont have enough gridiron knowledge. Coming from Oz I too have gained much knowledge in American politics. I was intrested because DT becoming POTUS shook up the establishment. I was well aware of his business practices well before becoming his Republican nominee. I am not surprised about all these shenanigans , contact with Russians ? , personal life. His narcissistic tendencies was never going to make being POTUS a walk in the park. He still thinks he is on reality tv and can run Trump corp while being president. Eventually something will give and it may not be him calling the shots.

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

There's always bias, one way or another, when it comes to politics. Older versions of this message board had visible descriptions for each forum. The BS Forum description read "whatever you wanna say, just try to avoid politics or it will get ugly." As years went by, we slowly drifted away from that principle and I think it's time to go back.

Cidusii likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason not to close the Trump thread was that discussion that would have been conducted there has now bled over into this thread about Russia in Syria. :)

I would recommend either making all political discussions verboten or maybe starting a separate subforum for them that people could avoid like the plague if all they were looking for was bullshit instead of partisan positioning.

Noam likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We should all be able to agree Trump is a disgusting, immoral, racist, corrupt and lying human being with few equals in his depravity and greed. This should not be a political issue. If ever there is the opportunity to be bipartisan and transcend political boundaries our disgust and dislike of Trump should be it. Country should trump Trump and politics. Republicans in congress off the record will admit it. Most Republicans I know will admit it. Outrage over the Trump Crime Family and his desire to destroy this country for personal greed is not controversial.

18. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

ITs been a long time since a president has polarised the usa . Disaproval figures show this. He uses twitter to hide himself from doing press co

Noam likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well, when you talk about politics, it will get ugly.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

lulz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.