The Return of Smashmouth Football...??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 1, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Did someone say smashmouth?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Missing you.....

rohirrim665 likes this.
  3. Bowles talking about the roughing the passer crap got me thinking:

Patriots have long been a proponent of using aggressive technique in terms of rub routes,illegl contact on D,Holding etc w the idea that if they commit fouls on every single play there is no way itll be penalized as such..

Why not take that same principle & apply it to cell phone boy? Push his ol in his lap,knock him to the ground on every single play..be borderline deliberate if need be..they gonna call roughing the passer on every single play?They gonna eject the whole front 7?I think not. Rough him up ill he can no longer stand.

2 can play that game cheaters.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A smash mouth running attack isn't all hogwash (if it's actually good).

With defenses shifting to lighter/faster defenders who can shadow every player on offense it SHOULD be an advantage to having 340 pound lineman and a 250 pound RB ploughing ahead for 5-6-7 yards per snap. A lot of defenders today don't look for contact, and actually side step it at all costs.

5. The problem is at some point youre gonna face elite Teams whose D can keep the run in check just enough to force obvious passing situations..then those 340 lb maulers cant quick set or pass protect against those 225 lb edge benders & you cant depend on any consistent passing attack.

And what happens when youre playing from behind?You arent built for quick scoring or big plays other than the occassional long running play which Ds would control w an 8-9 man box..

..come to think of it this sounds alot like our team from about 04 till now.

94Abraham and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

We didn’t massively move up in the draft to grab the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck to RUN THE FUCKING FOOTBALL.

Please this can not be.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if they keep Bowles in charge it will be.:mad:

Cman68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that's not what he said he wanted to do. don't be that react to the title without reading the interview guy. nobody likes that guy and we have enough of them here

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well you could have told me before I freaked out.

joe likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Rollo has to be fucking around, no? Lmao.

So much of that stuff stems from people reacting to the media that is looking for clicks with a bunch of bs I guess. Yeah, running the ball is bad thing. Holy shite

Todd Gurley and the Rams rushing the ball is just an inconsequential side piece for the Rams and Jared Goff's emergence.

If it wasn't for Gurley Goff might have even better numbers. McVie will prolly be fired after the season.

Running the ball is obsolete. The Rams are proving that.

We suck so fucking much boo fucking hoo wah

#30 Walt White, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They'll be playing Disco music in the Stadium at games forfuckssake :mad:

FJF likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just no flying lawn mowers

NY Jets68, Acad23, jetophile and 3 others like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Aside from the fact that Bowles's philosophy flies in the face of today's NFL reality, it also goes against the original Jets/AFL philosophy. I admit those of us who watched that league are fast disappearing, but most of us watched and rooted for the Jets because that league so UN-NFL. Instead of the "3 yeards and a cloud of dust" philosophy that ruled the NFL then, it was an Ariel Circus, where games were often won by the team who got the ball last, and 40+ points per team per game was common. THAT was entertaining! The NFL seems to have finally returned to this approach, and while I do agree with Bowles in one regard - it will probably swing back towards defense and low scoring at some point - until it does, the Jets need to "return to their roots" and vastly upgrade the offensive weapons around Sam.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

You need to pass and you also need to run. Why get into a shootout with Aaron Rodgers when you can score effectively and keep Rodgers off the field?

FJF likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

2 all pro WR a solid TE and a great LT and Center would do wonders for Sam.

FYI in 68 and 69 when we actually had good teams with Namath we ran the ball more than we passed it. In the SB against a great team we ran the ball down their throats.

Bowles never said he was against throwing the ball all over the place. I suspect personal may have something to do with it.

Walt White likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yup. Good on Beachum and McClendon. I wish players in general would be a lot more vocal about this. And Cheats fans cry that the refs are out to get them. See how I laugh.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Holy Shit. I shouldn't have laughed. I'm so ashamed.

19. ColoradoContrails

You're right, but that's because teams feared Namath's arm. The Colts fully expected Namath to try and beat them with passing, which is why their running game worked so well. Back then in the AFL, it was the passing game that opened up the running game for most teams. The West Coast Offense was a variation of that philosophy. But yes, having a strong running attack always helps the QB, which is why I advocated for the Jets to take Fournette when it was pretty clear they weren't going to take a QB (Mahomes or Watson), because I knew that a great RB would help whoever they used at QB - Fitz, Hack, or Petty.

Bottom line, maybe Bowles isn't really a "Smashmouth" guy, but he's not offensive-minded either, which is what they really need.

tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And if smash mouth DID return with Bowles coaching, and the other team got called for holding on a running play, Bowles wouldn't have the sense to take the penalty/yardage.

NCJetsfan likes this.