The Recency Bias Is Strong With This Forum

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

For a fan base starved of championships we will lurch from being happy with a win and not happy when we lose. To be fair most fans are like this. Only the teams like Pats and Seahawks will probably think 'it's ok we'll win next week' after a loss. That's because they do recover week on week.
    As for the Petty and Hack debate, Whilst McCown Is playing well they will sit, if the coaches say they are no good then we'll have to live with that. I think the QB room next year might be Hack 3rd McCown 2nd and New QB 1st choice. Petty to go. If Petty and Hack were that good they would go into the team. They don't seem to be a Deshaun Watson in waiting. More like a CJ Bethard in waiting. :rolleyes:. I might be wrong but that's my feeling.

Nesquik, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I can understand your point about the WRs getting playing time but attribute that that to them too not being ready, maybe the Kerley suspension can be a blessing in disguise so the young guys can get their chance. But judging on the Kearse and Kerley acquisition i just think the rookies probably weren't ready for a full work, but i expect an increase in playing for Stewart and Hansen moving forward

K'OB and FJF like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are taking the piss ?

You do realise I was talking about the lack of game time for the WR's and have said as much in several posts to nesquick and now you jump in saying move on quoting a post that says I know why they are not playing lol and in none of the posts have I said they should be playing, an odd bit of quoting tbh 101 :rolleyes:

4. K'OB

I just wonder if we have drafted a talent, you know if they don't get a game or at least a couple of reps to see if they have talent, from what we have seen they have good hands and deserve an increased role moving forward.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It was more-so about the opportunity you mentioned in your post. Yes, McCown won't lead us to a SB, but there has been a lot of development in terms of the receivers and the TEs so I am glad he's playing well. I don't think the players improve as well with Petty or Hack out there.

Mac knows he needs to draft a QB.

Nesquik likes this.
  6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I don't see him learning on the job actually..he makes the same mistakes over and over..he has a young team playing hard and a decent OC.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The playing vets over rookies is not just for this season, he's done it in the past as well. What I'm arguing is if this team was truly in rebuilding mode and they drafted a WR with the 3rd and 4th pick, why bring back Kerley. He's played well for us and is sound as a punt returner - aside from the Atlanta game. But Stewart has made some great catches and then gets taken off right away, Hansen has barely seen the field this season even if he's been active every game.

Their lack of utilization is either because Bowles doesn't trust them, they're not ready, or he prefers veterans, or all three.

Same goes with Powell...Forte looked like he was running with cinderblocks as feet at times this season and you have a back like McGuire that looks like he's shot out of a cannon every time he touches the ball and Powell who we all know is dynamic.

Forte has his positives as a pass catcher but I wouldn't think he's better as an all around RB at this point.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Stewart is averaging 12 snaps per week in addition to playing special teams. Hansen is averaging 8 snaps per week. While they are not being targeted in the passing game, the rookies are playing and are probably learning the system starting. Now that Kerley is out, I'd expect that they will have more of a role in the passing game, but we will see.

All Gas No Shake and Nesquik like this.
  9. K'OB

Ah I see :)

No probably not bar Anderson who Petty liked to throw bombs at lol

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Does it hurt when you urine?

The Waterboy likes this.
  11. K'OB

No, why ?

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Nailed it.

I would also add that this is pretty much the way every group of fans is about their team. This is a general phenomenon and is by no means exclusive to Jets fans. I made the egregious mistake of monitoring fag . . . err . . . finheaven during the Jets disastrous 4th quarter in Miami a few weeks ago. At the start of the 4th quarter, they were talking about cleaning house and by the end of the game they were talking about challenging the Pats for the AFC East crown. It's inherent to the fickleness of (most) of us.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think the Kerley move was in the works, but more importantly, it may have given the kids more time to learn the system. You still need some sort of semblance of an offense, or else you are the Cleveland Browns. And do you think they are enamored with the QB's likely coming out when the top ones are struggling pretty bad? Hell there maybe a reason why they wanted McCarron for the QB spot. Kizer for a second had Bryce Triggs , a practice squad WR as his go to guy for games this season...That's like having that Khalil Raymond dude as your #1 option...It's just not a good look.

Sometimes you have vets to teach these kids football and guiding them as mentors as to see what they see before hitting that field. Do you think Stewart may have learned to become a better slot guy or WR in general by learning from a Kerley and Kearse?

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The Browns are a disaster so I get what you're saying. I just wish they would be featured a bit more, like Stewart being yanked off the field after making diving catches or Powell or McGuire being yanked off the field to put Forte in there after a big play. I recognize that the NFL game is a lot faster and detail orientated than college ball, but I also think the best way to learn is to actually do it.

But as you said in your previous post, both Stewart and Hansen will be getting a lot more reps in Kerley's absence. I hope they take the opportunity to showcase some skill.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think the Kerley move was in the works, but more importantly, it may have given the kids more time to learn the system. You still need some sort of semblance of an offense, or else you are the Cleveland Browns. And do you think they are enamored with the QB's likely coming out when the top ones are struggling pretty bad? Hell there maybe a reason why they wanted McCarron for the QB spot. Kizer for a second had Bryce Triggs , a practice squad WR as his go to guy for games this season...That's like having that Khalil Raymond dude as your #1 option...It's just not a good look.

Sometimes you have vets to teach these kids football and guiding them as mentors as to see what they see before hitting that field. Do you think Stewart may have learned to become a better slot guy or WR in general by learning from a Kerley and Kearse?

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think that thread even pre-dates "The Ultimate Trashtalking Forum" and that goes back to 2006. Unless it was deleted from that forum.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It isnt a Jets fan thing. Its a person thing.

All fanbases do this. In all sports.

18. K'OB

True enough but then there becomes a point when they have to be trusted enough to go and catch a football for you, my point all along is we could have been sitting on a potential ODB of our own in Stewart but he has to be given more of a role and not just on special teams, I believe he has something special in his locker and want to see him deliver it for us.

People were hating on Anderson and fixating on his size but he has worked his way in and seized his opportunity to be a genuine WR on this team moving forward and not just on the long bombs.

Surely Morton after seeing them in practice can design a route or three for these young guys to get them more involved ?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I can recall in 2002 after the pre-season posters here were making fun of the Panthers for drafting Peppers 2nd when we clearly got a HoF player in Bryan Thomas at 22. Within a few weeks they hated Thomas.

That is the way it has always been. People overreact to anything that happens especially something as emotional as football.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Enunwa also started out slowly.