The Recency Bias Is Strong With This Forum

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 8, 2017.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A week ago at this time we'd lost three in a row, we were tanking, and Bowles sucked. Then a Bills team that wasn't as good as their record came into our place on Thursday night. Classic trap game and we beat them. Now all of a sudden the tank's off, Bowles is alright, and we're talking playoff scenarios. Part of it is because the optimists are excited and posting, whereas the pessimists are keeping quiet until the next loss. Still let's keep perspective and not jump to conclusions after one win. The same applies next time we lose, whether it's this week or later.

matt robinson 17 and RuJFan like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and this is news? Been this way on the forum for over a decade. The Optimists always are giddy after a win and the Pessimists always wait and see what the next game brings. I've been in "show me" mode for years now. I don't get too high or too low over anything this franchise does anymore. At the end of the season, it always is the same result. If and when that changes for the better, I'll react accordingly.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We are what are record says we are, 4-5, competitive in most games, not talented/too young to close out games versus better/more veteran teams.

The problems with the team are still the same as they were a week ago, Bowles would rather sink with vets than with rookies, and his in game management, adjustments, time out usage, challenge usage are spotty and downright mediocre for a head coach.

Would I be mad if we got rid of him at seasons end? Probably not because I still feel that with him we may have a ceiling, and that is probably the playoffs, nothing higher. He will do some things that will anger me but I will credit him for having a young team gelling together, playing fast and with a lot of heart.

If we go 7-9 or 8-8 both Macc and Bowles will surely be back, but I am unsure how to feel about drafting a college QB and expecting Bowles to develop him.

Sometimes teams, despite success, know that there's better out there, a different level of success can be reached. That may ultimately be what happens with Bowles, but we have a ton of games left and opinions can and will change wildly as a result.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

jet fans love instant gratification, what can ya say

grkmanga31 likes this.
  5. Well said.I think There’s a strong evidence suggesting that head coaches often learn on the job & improve..That’s what it comes down to w Bowles..

I think he has a plan,he & Mac have a vision & have a prototype..but some things have got to be better for this regime to be sustainable.The in game management has got to get better bc it can’t get much worse & the chronic conservative based offensive limitations have to be put to a rest once & for all.Not just QB.Not just OL.A firm concerted effort to score points.

If those 2 shortcoming can be acknowledged & addressed..I feel a heckuva lot better about this regime than I did 5 weeks ago..whether we finish 11-5 or 4-12

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree that my feeling regarding the Macc/Bowles regime is more confident than it was at the beginning of the season, the key now is consistency and improving on the shortcomings you highlighted above. I hope they do because I just want this team to be consistent and have a regime that here for the long term - but I don't want to do it purely for consistency, the results have to follow.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is more disappointing atm the distinct lack of game time for Petty/Hack or the woeful use of a pair of very good looking young WR's as there is no excuse at all for them not to see a few balls thrown their way, they have both shown decent hands.

Come draft day we won't know about our current QB's or our new WR corps, don't get me wrong I love Anderson more than a lot on here and Kersey is also being under used after a good start but Stewart and Hansen also need to be given some meaningful reps asap.

#7 K'OB, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    NCJetsfan and Peebag like this.
  8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm one of those pessimists. So let me explain just so we can get this straight.

I have had my complaints about Mac and that will probably continue. I'm hot and cold about him. It's still hard for me to forgive him for the 2016 draft. Everyone knew the Jets needed players that would be immediate contributors. Instead Mac got us a bunch of players that only now 11/2 seasons into their playing careers look like something a above whale shit. Look at Mac and his genius drafting as the reason this team went 5-11.

Toilet I've seen enough of. He sucks pure and simple. He does not know how to make in game strategic adjustments. Therefore I want nothing to do with him.

9. 101GangGreen101

I am sure everyone will take your opinion serious after that Darron Lee thread :D

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Petty and Hack don't get playing time because they are incapable of producing winning results. These men want to win and could give a damn about giving a young QB playing time to satisfy fans who don't even watch them play.These men are put their bodies/careers on the line and don't want to tie their fate to weaker talent. I really don't understand the concept at to why its so hard for anyone reasonable to comprehend this. At your job would want someone less capable then you getting opportunities simply because they were younger newer option. They aren't good guys let it go

12. K'OB

Should we just fuck draft day off then ?

We could trade our picks for seasoned pro's that everybody will trust from the off.

But do you know what I can't comprehend the most ?

It is somebody who only comments on half of your post and then fails to mention the real point in the post (it was the young WR's btw) everybody with a bit of sense knows why Hack isn't getting a game and we also know that "best chance to win" is McCowan over Petty but when it looked likely we were going to be picking top 3, you do actually need to know what to pick, albeit QB or whatever, it is no good picking one and then losing him in a store cupboard for a year or so and then fetching him out to play 3 quarters in a pre-season knock about and then losing them again for another year, no disrespect to McCowan (he has played well or at the very least better than expected) but at the grand old age of 38yo he isn't taking us to a fucking super bowl anytime soon is he ?

I thought that was the point of the NFL to win the one and only trophy available to win once every so often ?

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have no clue whether they're any good or not, so you let it go.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I saw a stat that Joshy completing 70% of passes ranking up there with the leaders

Home says this is the "recent effect" that's blinding us Hmmmm...I am still wanting a tank season but that is prob NOT happening...SO

I have a "reality effect" that team may be improving which they might : They are in every game and finally closed it out in 4th qtr vs Buff

I want to see a nice win against Fitz and Tampa for further soma drinking haha

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with Jets fans or the way Jets fans think. It is just how many people think in the world these days. It's all "What have you done for me lately?" I know posters on this site who properly have a long view of things though. They are nice to talk to.

The problem with Thursday's game is it wasn't just a win. The Jets BEAT DOWN the Bills and honestly still could have played much better than they did. When you watch that it can make you more optimistic and rightfully so. I don't think the Jets will make the playoffs in 2017, but the very fact some people can even consider it is a credit to Mac, Bowles and the players this year.

NCJetsfan, soh_vet and Nesquik like this.
  16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's become too tough a season to predict. Suddenly we are 4-5 so we have more wins than already predicted. Our next game is against Tampa. They were a shitty team before, now they don't have Winston and Evans is suspended. That team will be awful on Sunday. We SHOULD be 5-5 after this weekend.

Our end of schedule is:
    Carolina - Good, but not unbeatable (Still going to lose)
    Kansas City - On a downhill slide
    Broncos - Awful
    Saints - Gonna crush us
    Chargers - LOL
    Patriots - Good. Weirder things have happened.

So we are good for at least 2 more wins. 9-7 probably gets us a playoff spot so if we can somehow win four of those games, we are in. McCown would have to be league MVP if we somehow actually made it.

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

No we pick someone in this following draft very high, id want nothing more than Hack or Petty to actually be good but the coaching staff is telling us McCown is better its not me. And from a 38 year journeyman QB that truly is sad. It'd make all the sense in the world for the younger guys to play but unless anyone saw anything in preseason that i didn't than McCown clearly is still the better QB and gives this TEAM the best chance to actually win. I actually wanted one of them to start but the Jets have no reason to not actually see a QB develop because its obvious number one need. Why would they hold them back if they were truly up to the task. It doesn't make sense and what the Jets are telling anyone who can listen is that they aren't ready to QB1s and were holding them back until they are. They aren't going to put the QB position ahead of the team. Why embarrass Hack anymore than he has been that kid has had it rough being in NY. And Petty hasn't shown enough either.

Why put them out there if we actually have a chance to make the playoffs given how well McCown has played?? Do some of u think Petty or Hack could actually play better this season??

18. K'OB

I take it you are not going to chat to me about the WR's and keep it all about Hack/Petty then ?

My original post said "What is more disappointing atm the distinct lack of game time for Petty/Hack or the woeful use of a pair of very good looking young WR's as there is no excuse at all for them not to see a few balls thrown their way, they have both shown decent hands.

Come draft day we won't know about our current QB's or our new WR corps, don't get me wrong I love Anderson more than a lot on here and Kersey is also being under used after a good start but Stewart and Hansen also need to be given some meaningful reps asap."

Plainly I am suggesting it is worse that we haven't seen the young WR's rather than Hack/Petty or I wouldn't made most of the post about the WR's.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I don't dig this narrative. There's only 2, maybe 3 guys that Bowles isn't "playing" because he prefers vets. That's McCown of course over Petty/Hack and maybe Kerley over Stewart/Hansen. Otherwise, he's played Darron Lee consistently over Bruce Carter and Stanford. He's played Jenkins, the stud safeties , Mo, Big Cat, Anderson, Powell, etc over the "few" vets. My point is he's playing the best players point blank.

He's playing a lot of of the kids and they are getting valuable experience. And the vets he supposedly should bench were OR are playing well actually in McCown and Kerley (before he got suspended), so in that spot, you may see the rooks get more PT.

It's just a bit unfair to say Bowles is basically setting back this team by playing old guys when he's playing a lot of the talented rookies and kids in general. And if they aren't playing, then maybe they need to show more to the staff

All Gas No Shake, FJF and thedrjay like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Petty and Hack are no good, they had their shot. Time to move on get some new talent here at the QB position.

FJF, JetsNation06 and Yorkshire Jet like this.