The purged players seems like it was a great move

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2017.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Claiborne had 2 killer PI calls and one led right to a TD so still wouldn't consider that holding someone in check.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

this is why free agency and the quick fix/shortcut does not work out long term.
    teams like the packers and steelers draft well, and will let guys walk when they demand too much money.

the pats learned to spread the money over the entire team, not overpaying for guys like the mannings, pennington, brees , etc.
    they take up too much of the cap, you don't have enough money to keep other guys on the team who are also important. like offensive tackles, pass rushers, etc.

look what happened to the colts when peyton was hurt, now under luck, and the giants with eli and their ol.
    remember when the jets overpaid pennington and lost 3 starters in the ol because they lacked cap space?
    i posted at the time that it was like buying a vette, then driving it around with no insurance cause you had no money left to buy it.
    you overpaid for the car in the first place.

3. mr nyjet

he should have started the rebuild when he came in, but i suspect that his orders from woody were to employ a quick fix.
    keeping woody away from football decisions, as well as his brother, would allow the football people to do the job the way it should be done.
    that being said, if woody had put me in charge, bowles and rodgers would already be gone.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that the rebuild should have been begun when Mac was first hired, but I have no doubts that Woody wasn't having any of it. If Woody was ok with a rebuild at that time, why would he have hired a former DC and rookie HC? If you're going to do a rebuild, you need an experienced HC to oversee it and who is adept at developing young players, especially QBs. Woody had been harping for 2-3 years about the Jets getting back to the playoffs.

Woody definitely needs to stay away from team decisions, but he can't or won't. It's his ego and arrogance. The Jets are his toy. We can hope that his young brother Chris is better and that Woody truly will no longer be involved in decisions with the team, but that's probably a pipe dream. Even if it's true that Woody won't be involved, with the luck the Jets have, Chris will be even dumber and worse than Woody.

If Woody was really smart, he would have hired a quality football man to run the football operation when Tuna left, but we know that he didn't and still hasn't. Instead, he's hired a head hunter firm and consultants.

I would have fired Bowles, Rodgers and the Bozo coaching STs following last season.

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure if the rebuild this year was plan A..they initially offered Marshall an extension which he turned down..made a huge offer to Hightower..if those two things happen chances are they don't cut half the guys they did and trade Richardson..they may have even went after Cutler or another QB a little harder...I think Mac just came to terms we were winning 5 or 6 games regardless so might as well win 1 to 3 and take a step back for a year...I could be wrong but the rebuild feels like plan B.

#25 MJK, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I think you're probably right. Good reasoning.

MJK likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tanny had his busts, but he also got us Brick, Nick, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Revis, Harris, Dustin Keller, Dwight Lowery, Matt Slauson, Mo, Powell, Kerley, and our good friend Demario Davis. Four Pro Bowlers and eight additional starters (should have been 5 Pro Bowlers, Harris got snubbed). There's a reason his teams made the playoffs 3 times and made 2 AFC championship games. He's also done alright in Miami, they made the playoffs last year.

Idzik was a total disaster, I have no defense for him. Sheldon and Enunwa were his best picks, which doesn't say much.

Now let's look at Mac's record. In 2015, he got a Pro Bowler in Williams. Unless by some miracle Petty is the answer at QB, we can pretty much write off the rest of the draft as busts. Then last year he got Jordan Jenkins, who probably won't be a Pro Bowler but probably will be a starter of the caliber on Tanny's list. Probably someone else from the draft will end up being a starter, but Lee and Hack look horrific.

For now I'm not going to make any assumptions about this year's draft, but by simple regression to the mean it will probably be better than last year's.

The odds are pretty good Mac will get fired at the end of this year, and if he does he'll go down somewhere between Tanny and Idzik, closer to Idzik than Tanny. His only saving graces will be the 10-6 Fitzseason and getting us a top pick in a good QB class.

FJF and CONN-JET.2.0.3. like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

With as many picks as he used to get those players, he should have gotten very good players. The problem which you seem to gloss over, is that he left huge holes at other positions and no depth.

Petty is a solid backup, that's nothing at which to sneeze. The Jets haven't had a quality backup QB in at least 10-15 years. I can't even remember the last one. It may go back to Pat Ryan. He may also be more, but with that moron Bowles as HC and maybe Mac running interference for Hack, we may never know. Simon has been quality depth.

Lee is young and still has a ton of talent. He's not being used in the right fashion or at the right position. That's on Bowles, not Mac. Burris is still young and developing. As you said, Jenkins is a solid starter. Shell is starting at RT. He could be upgraded, but he's solid depth at a minimum, and could still improve as a starter. He added Peake who is a good STer and our punter. The only player who hasn't contributed from that draft is Hack. He may never contribute, but he could also develop into a FQB.

The 2017 draft looks even better. Even though most don't like Mac's drafting safeties 1-2 in the draft, one can't say that those players aren't playing well and contributing. Stewart and Hansen have shown a lot of potential. They should be playing more. That they aren't, is on Blowes not Mac. Leggett has a lot of potential and so does Donahue. McGuire looks like a complete back and he is averaging over 5 yards per carry. Again, he could be playing more, but that's on Blowes.

The only two players from this draft who may not wind up contributing much, if any, are his last two picks the two CBs, and even they have a chance.

It would be in typical Jets fashion to fire him, just as he has had his best draft and is showing signs that he is improving and growing in the job.

9. mr nyjet

if he is right, then it is scary that they thought about continuing to do what hasn't worked at all.

MJK likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Indeed! Hopefully, it was just at Woody's insistence, but if not, then Mac does deserve a lot of criticism for that.

11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Well think about it..if Marshal excepts and extension, we sign Hightower, keep Decker, Harris, Mangold, and Richardon chances are we win 5-7 games and get the 7th or 8th pick..kinda sounds like the Jets. lol

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tanny also left us 2 AFC championship games.

We have no idea if Petty is a solid backup, he hasn't accomplished anything in regular season games. Sanchez and Geno have done more for the Jets than Petty.

Simon couldn't even make the worst roster in the NFL, he's on the practice squad.

I agree Lee isn't being used correctly, but face it, few teams would play him at this point.

Hack developing into a franchise QB is a fantasy. Geno sucked in games. Hack sucks so bad he can't even get into games.

I'm not going to talk about the 2017 draft when the season is only two weeks old. I'll decide what I think of it in December.

I guarantee if we fire Mac no team will show interest in making him their GM. He'll go back to college scouting if he wants an NFL job.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Wow that was a great summary and what you clearly show is that most of the purging is making sense. A cynical person would argue it doesn't take a genius to realize that a bad team probably doesn't have players worth keeping. But lets give the Jets management some credit here. It is not easy getting rid of players you did battle with. So now comes the difficult question, what next? Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to realize you have made a mistake with a player and you need to move on. Lets hope the Jets make the right moves in the next couple of years so that the suffering can end for Jets fans.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Come on, again you're being unreasonable. Simon made it the last two years when the Jets had more talent. Williams and Mo have regressed, it's not surprising that Simon has as well. That's on Blowes and his fakakta scheme.

I have seen enough from Petty that I believe he is a solid backup. He may not have accomplished anything in regular season games, but then he's never really been given a good chance to. Last year was a joke.

I don't believe that other teams wouldn't play Lee for one second. He has a ton of talent and speed. He just needs to be put in a position to use his talents and what he does well. Blowes is an utter moron.

Of course the jury is still out on the 2017 draft, but the potential is definitely there.

You can't guarantee anything. You could be right, but you could also be dead wrong. Mac could go to another team and head their college scouting, and then in another couple of years another team could hire or promote him to GM, particularly if the draft class of 2017 turns out like I think it will, then he may even get immediately hired as a GM for another team.

15. NCJetsfan

We have a pretty fair number of cynical posters here and they don't want to give Mac credit for anything right that he's done.

16. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yea but #teammac just blames everything on blowes/bowels/toddtoilets . I am worried about Lee . You are rebuilding but miss on #1 round pick it sets us back big time . I know it's still too early but I've seen very little from Lee .
    Mac will also be be forever linked with the hackenburg pick . Jets fucking up a 2nd round pick is nothing new to us , but due to the fact it's a QB , it becomes a black eye on his resume . Everyone here loved to hate on geno smith but at least he was able to make starter ....

While I agree this years drafts appears to be more solid than last year and the vet cuts were obviously smart moves , ya boy mac might not survive when the ship wrecks this winter .

17. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

When it comes to Marshall let us not forget the pressure he put on Mac to sign Fitzpatrick during pre season last year and when Fitz proved to be a bust Marshall was nowhere to criticize, he just decided to take the rest of the year off.
    The only difference from this years roster and what the roster would be with the big names released is the prices paid to be 0-2 with the potential to not win a game this year, The prices of tickets should be about 10.00 by game six.
    The only problem left with this team is Bowles, the cigar store Totem Pole hanging out not interested during the game.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think it is insane to judge these players after only 2 games------lets see how this all pans out once the season is over . IMO some players needed to go but others should have stayed especially seeing who they were replaced with

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Jermaine Kearse has more catches and yards and TDs than Decker and Marshall combined. He's got more TDs than the entire Giants team! Marshall was supposed to be a stud receiver and so far in two games, he's a big reason the Giants are the 2nd worst offense in the NFL (and we aren't the worst, Niners are).

Macc didn't replace them with stars, that's why people think they haven't been replaced. That's not how it works especially when you're rebuilding and that IS what we are doing. You get rid of the guys that don't have a future with the team and you put guys in place that you think will. Kearse, Ealy, drafting two safeties, drafting two receivers, letting Wesley take over and hopefully locking him up before the offseason.

We are doing it right for the most part (we aren't doing it right at QB, but next year is when that matters). It's not a fun process. It's not a process I particularly enjoy but what I DO enjoy is that we are finally trying it rather than star-effing and locking ourselves into mediocrity and cap hell.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

With the exception of Richardson and Pryor the purged players were all done in by Mother Nature not the Jets.

Bunch of 30+ year old NFL vets headed for the retirement home. That's just how the league works. The mistake was assembling that crew in 2015 and expecting things not to go downhill very quickly after that.

All of that said, if Mac can't draft better than he has shown thus far the Jets are really screwed.