The Principal Agent Problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 30, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not if you have a kitchen cabinet from Hell.

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

outside of Adams and Darnold, what is this talent you speak of? Specifics please.

3. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Keep in mind talent doesn’t mean a superstar. To me talent means players that are good in a role and they contribute to a team. The patriots are good at having those kind of players. When they go elsewhere they don’t shine.

We have pieces.
    TE: you have Herndon and Legget. Herndon has progressed nicely this season and Legget has shown some flashes. I’m not worried about TE.

RB: Cannon and McGuire. Yeah, them. Cannon plays with a lot of heart. He needs to work on his hands. McGuire has good hands! They aren’t every down backs, or Saquan Barkley. Situationally they are good pieces and I hope to see them back with some growth next year.

WR: Do I even need to go there? We need a #1, but Enunwa and Anderson are a good start. Not every down backs, but Enunwa looks like a damned running back the way he trucks people and Anderson proved he can run routes.

Secondary: obviously Adams has a place. Maye was good, I’m sure he’ll be back. Need some good corners though.

O line: Shell was good, losing James Carpenter really hurt us this season, hope he comes back good guards are hard to come by. Ask Brian Winters. Obviously our o line needs a lot of work.

D-Line: Henry Anderson, Shepard, Williams and McClendon? I think a good edge and someone coaching them to put their frickin hands up every once in a while would really make them great.

Who’d I miss? My lunch is just about over. Special teams? Our special teams was a bright spot!

We have talent, I just don’t think it was used to it’s full potential and some injuries hurt us. The team doesn’t need to be blown up...just...retooled and a couple of new pieces added. We’re rebuilding, really it was year one of a rebuild. Let’s not throw out the baby with the toilet water.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Name recognition fallacy. Adams and Herndon are good. Anderson, Enunwa, and Williams are decent. The rest are jags.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What a GREAT article, thanks!

The common denominator in all these failed franchises is poor ownership, and we fans are held hostage to them.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. BrickcityJet

How is it name recognition? A non jets fan couldn’t name anybody besides the players YOU named....maybe. Those are about the biggest names we have.

Which brings us back to my disclaimer in the beginning. The ones I named aren’t jags though...totally disagree.

7. HomeoftheJets

Name recognition fallacy is when a fan overrates the players on his team because he recognizes their names and associates recognizing a player's name with that player being good.

8. BrickcityJet

I know what name recognition fallacy is. I asked you how was it name recognition fallacy.
    I named the players I thought were worth keeping because I watched the games.

9. HomeoftheJets

Because most neutral observers wouldn't agree with you that most of the players you listed are good role players.

10. BrickcityJet

Who cares about what a neutral observer thinks? I’m a Jets fan, posting in a Jets forum about which Jets I think are decent enough to keep. Neutral has nothing to do with this.

11. HomeoftheJets

Not going to say I called it, but I called it. Of course I said inexperienced coach and not Adam Gase, but the Dolphins hadn't fired Gase at the time...

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight, all indications seem to confirm Matt Rhule was the consensus top candidate for the organization in the last few days.

• They bring him in, like what they hear, they bring him back, clearly things are getting more serious.

• They must've been to the point of negotiations since the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own staff, and apparently they wanted to control his appointments. Which lead to him refusing the position.
    Now lets come back to the present time where Adam Gase is hired as HC but only AFTER Rhule has refused based on the stipulations.

• Now, one of the first bits of news to come out that pertains to Gase in his new position is that he will be bringing on his OC from MIA, Dowell Loggains (2018 MIA ranked 31st in total yards)
    This is the part I'm trying to get straight, they passed on the guy they wanted because he wanted to assemble his own staff, consequently having to choose their backup option in Gase who they then allow to assemble his own staff???

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Theyre a very bad organization dude. The Johnsons meddling in everything like they know what football is. Its our fault by making them a top 10 market in attendance. We should boycott the team.

14. Vader

Vader Member

Summary: people are self-interested. managers may not act in the best interest of ownership because they have conflicting interests. Ownership may not have the ability to act in the best interest of the organization because they lack the technical skill or specific required knowledge necessary. Hence their reliance on “managers”. But the managers don’t have an ownership stake in the organization. Hence conflicting interests.

There is no solution to this problem. You need either visionary ownership or loyal committed management and oversight.

You need a VP of football operations and a more enlightened group of owners.

HomeoftheJets likes this.