The Player That Has The Best Chance to Fall to #29

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 13, 2010.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Some of you guys may disagree, I'm just asking you to read thru my explanations and have an open mind. A player will fall...I'm certain.....it always happens.

A player that the Jet's are targeting (Visit) might fall to #29. The Jets haven't upgraded the depth of the O-line and Faneca's days are winding down.

I've been going over and over the player that has the strongest chance to drop to the Jets at # 29. I've been studying the needs of the 10 or 11 teams drafting ahead of the Jets. I feel Mike Iupati may fall into Gang Green's lap.

I'm not down on Iupati, he's going to be a solid GUARD for 10 years in the NFL. There are some concerns with Iupati's game. It's clear, from Senior Bowl week, Iupati's strenght is LG. Iupati struggled when he was out of position. Concerns have been raised by scouts that Iupati won't be a OT in the NFL. Iupati also was lunging and not moving lateral at times during the Senior Bowl week.

Ben Grubbs was drafted at #29 by the Ravens and probably had more talent & experience going into the draft than Iupati.

Let me go over the needs of teams just ahead of the Jets. There are quite a few teams that play the 3-4 ahead of the Jets and are looking for 3-4 OLB help.

18) PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Probably was considering Iupati before Holmes was traded. D Thomas or Golden Tate will be strong considerations. Golde Tate is big on the Steeler's radar.

19) ATLANTA FALCONS - I'm betting ATL goes D-line.

20) HOUSTON TEXANS - Ryan Mathews or Kyle Wilson.

21) CINCINNATI BENGALS - Jermanine Gresham,wideout, or DE help.

22) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - DEFENSE..OLB.

23) GREEN BAY PACKERS - Defense or OT. Iupati could be considered, but not likely.

24) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - D-Line...Griffen is my target

25) BALTIMORE RAVENS - Cornerback should be the first choice...definitely defense.

26) ARIZONA CARDINALS - DE/OLB.....need pass rush help.

27) DALLAS COWBOYS - This get's tricky....Dallas needs O-line help and could be Iupati's pick. If Bruce Campbell is available..a no brainer. Safety a possibilty.

28) SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Jahvid Best.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I agree that he'll fall. Maurkice Pouncey has replaced him as the top interior lineman.

If the Steelers decide to go OL it will be Pouncey, not Iupati.

Mike Iupati could definitely be there at 29.

However, a lot like our situation at corner...I'm not sure the Jets will want to invest more money into a heavily paid position. Mangold and Ferguson are going to be re-signed - they will sign big contracts.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Point well taken. Although, you can almost say the same thing for almost every position in the Jet's depth chart. I don't look at CB as a "Rich Position"..Cromartie is on a one year trail...just like Holmes. If you are going to draft players because you have too much money invested in their respective positions...you're going to make an error in judgement.

4. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Good observation, WW, and I agree with your entire premise.

In fact every time I submit a mock draft I have a hard time finding a home for Iupati requisite to his value.

He just keeps sliding and I keep thinking, I have to take him off the board, he's too good to slide this far, but each time I say that the team that is OTC is either set at OG or has more pressing needs where there is value to be had as well ... so he just keeps on sliding.

Even in the most recent mock I submitted I had the Ravens taking him based more on value than need, but I realized there's a very good chance they would take a pass as well, opting instead to fill a more glaring need.

So YES, based on my own experience I absolutely agree with the entire premise you laid out.

Then the Jets will have a decision, do they take Iupati knowing he most likely sits his rookie season like a red shirt year?

I don't think they will because this team is LOADING UP for a Super Bowl run .. this year!

Every move they have made to date screams they are going for it this year in a BIG WAY

So I think they're gonna want a CONTRIBUTING PLAYER (this year) with that first round pick

See that's the thing about offensive line, its a lot like QB whereas ... IF YOU DON'T START - YOU DON'T PLAY

That's not the case with a DL who can crack the rotation, or a situational edge rusher, or a DB who can break in as a nickel/dime, or WR's who can get some time in the multiple wideout package, or RB's who can rotate in and out, etc. etc

Just about any other position you can break him in as a non starter, but OL's are either starting or sitting, case closed

#4 Jabba the Jet, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

If we did draft Iupati do you think we would trade Faneca on day 2? I could see this happening as we owe him a lot of money still on his contract which we could use for the resigning of 1 or more of our guys Revis, Mangold, Debrick

#5 Docny1975, Apr 13, 2010
  6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

***Cough***Cough****Golden Tate***Cough***Cough****

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Appreciate your comments.

Almost any player that we draft at #29 won't be a significant contributer in year one. I understand Iupati would be on the bench baring an injury to a starter. I would have a difficult time passing up Iupati, our next LG for 10 years.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's a late round contract, it won't be too much. If the Jets take Iupati then it seems likely that Faneca's contract is coming off of the Jets' books so there will be some savings there. Ryan's commitment to the running game relies on keeping the trenches healthy and if Iupati is BPA then it is going to be difficult to pass him up.

More than money, it'll probably be which defensive players drop and how likely others are to be around in the 2nd.

9. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Value wise its a steal, and there's no doubt its a smart strategic move from a long-term POV as well, because I think he would slot right into Faneca's spot as early as next year.

So there are a lot of good, sound reasons to take Iupati if he's there at 29, but there is one 800 Pound Gorilla in the room conspiring against him, and that is the indisputable fact that this Jets team is absolutely loading up for a SB run this year and there's no doubt they should enter the season as one of the TOP 3-5 teams that has a legit chance to win it all (on paper) ... but they are not perfect and there is still room for a rotational 34 D-lineman and an edge rusher, either of whom can PUT THEM OVER THE TOP if they take the right guy.

That's the dilemma

If the Jets were not legitimately "THIS CLOSE" to the Super Bowl after a 40 Year drought, Iupati would be a no brainer

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Even though thats the case Jabba, the team still needs to be focused not just for right now, but for the immediate future. Also I wouldnt be so sure Iupati couldnt crack the starting lineup this season on the OL.

Lets face it we have been luckier than all hell the last two seasons with no injuries on the OL basically at all. Chances are one of our guys at least gets a little nicked up this season. Iupati could easily get time due to an injury.

Faneca also proved he is declining, and in a big way last season. I wouldnt be suprised if by mid season Faneca's play has us calling for giving a young gun ala Iupati a shot.

That said we are so close, a guy like Linval Joseph is just as appealing, as much as we need a replacement for Faneca, we need one for big Jenks just as badly, maybe more considering the injury history of the big guy the last few years...

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I've never been one to say I know a lot about the draft, but from research and what I have seen on this site I have been telling my friends around here the same thing. Iupati ended up not being as versatile as a lot of people thought, and his unsuccessful senior bowl didn't help him either.

I would be extremely happy if we ended up with Iupati at 29. I am not worried about an impact rookie from our first round pick, and it could be debated that LG is one of our most pressing needs.

Here are a few of my reasons:

1.Feneca will be 34 by the end of the year

2.His cap number is getting pretty damn high, and while there is no cap many teams are still orchestrating business like there is one.

3.Our Oline is the strength of this team, and in order to have continued success I feel we need to keep it the best in the league after some changes on the line occur.

5.And since he a good (not great) pass blocker, he can pull well for such a big guy, and he has the potential to be a dominant run blocker. Very much like our current LG.

6.Guards aren't traditionally taken in the first, but getting this guy would guarantee us still having one of the best offensive line in the league once Feneca is gone. If Slausen pans out, our OL is productive and young for years.

EDIT: Sort of in response to Jabba saying the Jets are making a run this year the super bowl, I could not agree more. The Jets are taking out all the stops to win the SB this year, but what is great is that they are also shaping themselves to be great for the long term too.

A lot of the guys they picked up this past 12 months have been young, in their prime guys. We all know since they are all going to need contracts in the next year or 2 that we will definitely lose a few, and while that does suck we haven't mortgaged our future by trading away all of our draft picks with all the moves we have made since the last draft.

I really have to applaud Tanny by doing absolutely everything needed to win now, while also not mortgaging our future. It's great to see what's going on with this franchise.

#11 JackBower, Apr 13, 2010
  12. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

To that same point though, drafting a rookie at Guard would allow us to replace one of the highest paid players on the offense. Iupati would be able to fill in for Faneca next year at about 1/5 of the salary.

That being said, I still want front 7, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Iupati.

13. CatoTheElder

This argument makes very little sense. If the Jets are trying to find an impact rookie for this season, how much impact is the 4th WR going to have on a run-heavy team that's still protecting its 2nd year QB from getting exposed.

Linval Joseph, Everson Griffen, Ricky Sapp or even Devon McCourty would be bigger impact rookies than Tate this season. Hell, Mike Iupati would have a better chance of making an impact on the team next season than Tate.

#13 CatoTheElder, Apr 13, 2010
  14. mystikol

mystikol New Member

I would love this draft pick. It is true that we are loading up for this season; howevr, I still think this can and should be a very strong team moving forward. And as others have said, hopefully by the end of next year, Iupati would supplant Faneca, make us younger and better, and save us a lot of $$$ to resign Revis, Mangold, et. al

It's so hard to predict the new salary cap, and that makes things really difficult. If the salary cap gets a significant upward bump, then I would definitely consider drafting Iupati more strongly because we would be able to afford more of the FAs under the cap. If it is going to be a more restrictive cap, then I may be more inclined to trade down for cheaper contracts and maybe grabbing more players in the positions where we will eventually need depth and/or starters in the next couple of years (DE x2, OLB, DT, RB, CB, S, RT, LG and [likely] slot WR).

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Iupati does make the LG position stronger, but he can only play LG. I'd like one guy that can play multiple positions.

Anyone know about Mike being penalty prone? I know during the Senior bowl when he was anywhere else on the line he'd grab and not push.

16. Ten

Ten Active Member

The best thing about picking this late in the first is that the contract isn't going to be killer and we can actually get great value.For example,Dustin Keller,picked at the end of the first got a 5 year,12 million deal.Getting a guard and cutting Faneca next year won't really be over spending on the o-line.

17. Santon10

Santon10 New Member

What the hell is the reason why drafting Tate should even be in consideration? Iupati is looking like hes going to be one of the best guards in the draft for the next couple of years, if he falls that far its a no brainer.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Iupati has some technique issues and needs some coaching, the main reason I started this topic and feel he will be available.

The Jet's have invested so much lately in other areas, strenghtening/making younger our O-line is a need. D-Brick/Iupati/Mangold....would be an incredible wall in front of Sanchize and help our running game.

19. CatoTheElder

Hobbes fired up his Madden franchise again and thought that Sanchez would progress to Peyton Manning's rating.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The most important thing to remember when talking about drafting Iupati is that next year Faneca won't be a Jet (IMO).

He's due 8.8 mill with only 1.6 guaranteed and we need those $$$ to re-sign Revis, Mangold etc.

Iupati is a bit raw but he can learn from Faneca and our great OL coach (he won't be here forever)... if he falls to #29 we HAVE to take him!