The plan for Sam Darnold moving forward...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Bradford is used to getting beat out by rookies. My money is on Rosen getting the job before midseason, either via injury or skill.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Give Bradford a quarter or two to get hurt, and Rosen will be out there.

FJF likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He's already been working on his delivery. Palmer has been working with him on keeping his left hand on the ball as long possible. This not only helps speed up his delivery by preventing him from dropping the ball to start his motion and it should help with the fumbles.

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and TrojanPride like this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Our 3rd QB situation is a major one to watch, and it basically all hinges on Bridgewaters knee. If Bridge is good, he stays. If he's not what do we do? I'd guess we keep Hack as QB3, which honestly I wouldn't mind. Apparently he's been working real hard this offseason. Nothing against Petty, but 1) we haven't invested much draft capital in him 2) he's had plenty of chances to start. He's OK. Nothing special, and IMO a dime a dozen.

I have never said this before so I had to go back to edit to say it....

We have a very solid QB situation......

I just said that. Wow.

Noam and Cman68 like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Interesting Chad Pennington quote referring to Darnold, whom he apparently worked with leading up to the draft:

“My thought process is he’s 20 years old. For any organization to think they’re going to dump a professional football team on a 20-year-old and think it’s going to work immediately, they’re fooling themselves,” Pennington said. “From a physical standpoint and potential, you really like what you see. You’re like, ‘Man, in three or four years, this guy could be the guy.”

So Pennington says we drafted a project at 3...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...manning-echoes-that-make-darnold-a-steal/amp/

#105 Jets81, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    MurrellMartin and tbruner12 like this.
  6. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

You can count on one hand QBS taken that weren’t projects. Peyton Ryan Luck...even Rodgers wasn’t a sure thing

FJF likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

3-4 years. That’s not a project, that’s actually a disaster. He won’t get that long. He won’t even get 1 year in my opinion. The Pennington comment is a bit disturbing.

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Has anyone else said 3-4 years besides Pennington? I loved Chad, but this is one of the few times he's inaccurate.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The plan is don't rush him. He'll show promise in training camp. Everyone will want to play him. Have him sit at least 8 games. At that point if he is ready play him. The Jets are not a good team. All we need to do is put this guy in with a bad team and ruin him forever. By week 8 he should be able to see the speed of the game better, know the playbook, know how to prepare and everything else. I look at this year much like the Giants with Eli Manning. No mater where we are in November analyze and see when you think he is ready and play him. Don't throw him to the wolves and destroy him

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's possible. Bradford is made of glass and Glennon isn't that good.

FJF likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He has a lot to learn, but I think Darnold could learn on the fly. I think in 3 or 4 years you will see his overall potential come to fruition, until then we will see a lot of flashes.

It wont be like Rosen where you can throw everything at him now, Darnold will take a little bit longer. But he can do a lot of things on the field, that Rosen cannot. Perhaps you make the offense more friendly for Darnold early on and increase the load as time goes on.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think Pennington means 3-4 years before he reaches his full potential, not 3-4 years before he's competent.

13. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Of course, CFB is vastly different from the NFL, but Sam is a very confident guy. Before Sam signed with USC in the same class as a 5* QB, he quietly asked our HC, “the best guy plays, right?” To the yes response, he immediately committed to USC. After a week into fall camp (Sam wanted to enjoy his senior year, so he wasn’t an early admit) that 5* QB decided to transfer out after seeing Sam play.

My point is, he will fight hard to be the starter from day one, he is very mature for his age, and cut out all distractions - including a girlfriend. Teammates respect that, no matter how much older they are than “the kid”. Hope he sits for awhile, but he will fight for that starting job.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

One of the many benefits of having McCown is he has so much experience that he doesn't need a lot of training camp snaps to be ready to start the season. He showed that last year. Those same training camp snaps we wasted on Petty and Hackenberg last year can be now he given to Darnold which is great for his development.

TrojanPride likes this.
  15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold will suck and the Jets will be a laughingstock yet another 10 years.

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This article presents a compelling case for giving Darnold every chance to win the starting job this season for Game 1:

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/05/new-york-jets-develop-sam-darnold-by-playing-sam-darnold/

"The 2010 Jets do not make the AFC Championship Game if Sanchez doesn’t start as a rookie. The 2013 Seattle Seahawks do not win the Super Bowl if Russell Wilson doesn’t start as a rookie. The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles do not win the Super Bowl if Carson Wentz doesn’t start as a rookie. The 2017 Los Angeles Rams do not win the NF West if Jared Goff doesn’t get significant experience as a rookie. You develop in the NFL by playing and learning from your mistakes. The league has recognized this (and the below stat doesn’t even factor in mid round quarterbacks like Wilson, Dak Prescott and Derek Carr who have found success from starting day one).

Great stats from Reebs’ article:

1) Over last 10 years, the avg number of starts for 1st-round rookie QBs is 11.

2) Over last 10 years, 20-of-27 (74%) 1st-round QBs have started 8+ games.

— Evan Silva (@evansilva) May 1, 2018

Paxton Lynch started 2 games as a rookie, Johnny Manziel started 2 games as a rookie, Jake Locker started 0, Tim Tebow started 3, none of these guys magically improved from watching for a season, similar to Hackenberg never improved from watching Ryan Fitzpatrick or McCown.

People will always reference Aaron Rodgers and Jimmy Garoppolo, while failing to mention both players were behind generational, Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Josh McCown is not that. People may point to Patrick Mahomes, who appears set up well for success this year but he was sitting behind a quarterback who made the Pro Bowl in 2016 and 2017, along with winning back to back division titles. (Yes, Smith is a flawed quarterback which is why he was rightly traded away but it isn’t like Mahomes was sitting behind Trevor Siemian). There is also no reason to think Mahomes would have been negatively impacted by getting experience last season.

The Jets ceiling is about 6-10 with Josh McCown under center. If he plays 12+ games, it is a useless 6-10 with a 39 year old quarterback who will probably be coaching next year. The Jets can go 6-10 with Sam Darnold next year and it is a much more successful season if Darnold is learning from his mistakes and making progress by the season’s end. If that is the case, he becomes a useful recruiting tool in free agency for all that money the Jets have to spend. The Jets don’t need to punt 2018 for his on field development and push a narrative that 2019 will be his “learning season,” as they head into year nine of no playoffs and year five of Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles stewarding that streak."

Bottom line: If he's good enough to win the job then play him.

xxedge72x likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That isn't a project. A guy who is physically gifted but flawed from a football standpoint is a project.

All Pennington is saying is that Darnold is so young, and he's right. Anyone who expects Darnold to step in day 1 and be playing to his full potential is delusional. He doesn't have the benefit of experience like other QBs have. There will be struggles early on.

18. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The only thing we should be doing with darnold right now is debating what his political stance is until he finally has to answer and gives a nothing answer that doesn’t satisfy anyone and is talked about by every news outlet for his whole career

19. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Bingo!
    The coddle concept is stupid!
    It might work with something other than "Pro sports!"
    Suck for Sam has turned into, make excuses for Sam if he can't beat out the 2 QB's we have.
    You get up to speed on any job in the world by, doing it, not watching it.
    What a stupid concept.
    Only wanna be coaches/players think like that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Thanks for posting. Wasn't the way I was looking at this but that is quite a persuasive argument.

ColoradoContrails likes this.