The philosophy of Defense first is abysmal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is a premature title, but at this point, the only things that appear to stand in Sam's way is our CS and the lack of talent around him on offense. He has displayed many, if not most, of the traits that FQBs have.

Zach stated that we have a FQB like that's all that matters at this point. It isn't, not only because Sam isn't really a FQB yet, but we don't have the CS or the GM that will enable us to succeed. Not drafting Mahomes in last year's draft not only cost us probably the best QB prospect to come out of college in a long time (at least since Luck, and I think that Mahomes is better than Luck), but it cost us 4 high draft picks in this year's draft which could have gone a LOOOOOOOOOONG way towards fixing our OL and putting some weapons around Sam on offense. Whereas I think Sam can develop into a top 15 or top 10 QB, and possibly even top 5, I think Mahomes is going to be THE great QB of this generation and will be the #1 QB.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe the bolded section could also explain why there is not a handful of Lombardi trophies at the Jets main office.

The nebulous "displayed many, if not most, of the traits that FQBs have" may be true in isolated instances but until they are revealed on a consistent basis all we have is hopes for the future.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why did you have high expectations going into this season? What about the roster raised your expectations of a better record than we have right now?

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would not categorize my expectations as "high." You asked me if they were highER than what we are seeing. Sunday was a perfect example. They made countless mental errors and lost by 2 touchdowns and the head coach stated he was proud of their efforts. My expectations are certainly higher than that, how anyone else's could not be is shocking to me. To goal of playing the game is to win.

Now, to your overall point. I didn't expect this team to be a division title winner but I did expect them to compete hard every week and be better than last season. They are worse than last year and the competitive fire is not there. They don't care if they win or lose. The whole team is a reflection of their coach: gutless, mentally outmatched, and less interested in winning than they should be. My expectations are higher than that, I don't care who is on the roster.

NYJetsO12 and Longsuffering88 like this.
  5. FJF

You were lamenting the fact that the season is over. That sounded like you expected a better record at this point. As for the rest, sorry but you sound like your mad that Bowles didn’t serve anyone up to the public after a loss and are trying to project that to the rest of the team.

Walt White likes this.
  6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Oh, so all we care about is 1 pick?

Did you forget previous top 2 picks?

Jamal “the Mouth but no result” Adams

And

Marcus the “fragile one” Maye were major picks by Macc... but yeah I guess you ignored that

To say that he knows offense is important does not support the facts of his top drafts

Get over yourself

#106 Longsuffering88, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Tide is turning from a Wave to a Sunami against this sh^tshow put together by the Band Aid boys

Doofus Bowles and coffee addict Macnitwit...

They should both get lost in South America someplace on an expedition to find the perfect Bean funded by Dunking Donuts ..Bowles gets lifetime donuts and chocolate chip cookies Mac free caffeine pass at all locations

Ahahah

8. FJF

No I don’t just care about the first pick. But apparently you do since Mac has split the picks almost evenly between offense and defense and 1 special teams.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What do you call "even"? The raw numbers of picks, or their relative position value? Based upon the latter, it's been far from "even".

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  10. FJF

I was going with raw numbers since that what the guy who quoted me referred to at first but it’s pretty equal in value when you factor in the 3 2s it took to get sam

#110 FJF, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Against offense-first teams, Tom Brady is 5 for 5 in SuperBowls.
    Against defense-first teams, Tom Brady is 0 for 3.
    0 for 4 if you count Brady's playoff loss to the defense-first Rex Ryan's NY Jets

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The season IS over. I am lamenting that. I did expect a better record at this point in the season. I also didn't expect them to blow a 14 point lead to a team that is 2-36-1 in all their other games...

You didn't refute any of the points I made. So I'll ask you a question: you think this team is right along with the expectations you had? if so, don't you think you should have a little bit of a higher standard?

13. FJF

I had them going around 6-10 so yea they are pretty squarely where I expected them to be. Thought they would beat Cleveland but also that they would lose to Detroit so it’s a bit of a wash there. I guess I could raise my expectations but not sure how that will change the quality of the roster.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's wrong. The Rams were offense, Panthers defense, Eagles 1.0 balanced (9th in offense, 10th in defense), Giants 1.0 defense, Giants 2.0 offense, Seahawks defense, Falcons offense, and Eagles 2.0 defense.

So Brady is 2 for 3 against offense-first teams, 2 for 4 against defense-first teams, and 1 for 1 against a balanced team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

I don't think we've underachieved this year, but seeing how important a good offense is in today's NFL, I don't think Bowles is the guy to make us contenders.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Giants didn't defeat Brady's 18-0 season by out throwing him. Giants only scored 17 points all game but held the pass happy Tom and Randy show to 14, their lowest score of the season.

17. HomeoftheJets

Your overall point was wrong because you were wrong about the Panthers, 2004 Eagles, 2011 Giants, and Seahawks. Not the 2007 Giants, so there's no reason to bring them up.

18. FJF

I think the only year that we truly underachieved was 2016. overachieved in 2015 while setting team records and pretty much played to par last year. I don't think bowles is a great coach and I don't think he is the complete failure he is made out to be by some of the more emotional posters here. I think he is good enough to compete if he has a qb playing well. much like the majority of the nfl coaches. that said, he will get his shot next year to show whether or not he is going to be a longer termed fixture in jet lore.

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

When was the last time the Jets drafted either a RB, WR or TE who became a star player? We are all assuming that Darnold will become a star, but until he does, you might as well throw QB into the previous question as well. The Jets don't have the skill players on offense to compete. Hard to see this team improving significantly anytime soon.

Acad23 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Dude, you're totally mistaken if you think Adams has produced no results.