The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

My Grandfather loved going for Blackfish , very hard to catch always hanging out near the rocks or the wrecks . He LOVED to fish ! Have fun CMAN,,,,,hopefully we get some snow soon,,,,lmao

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're not funny CB. :) (Its cool man. I got a new set of Grunden's to break in).

Your GranPa was right about Tog aka blackfish. They're the hardest fish to catch on the Jersey coast. I'm hoping to do better with them this year thanks to Youtube.. LOL

#842 Cman68, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    CBG likes this.
  3. Cman68

Full on Bluefish slaughter in Jersey this weekend. I was bottomfishing and on no less than 3 occasions, my SeaBass got cut in half by bluefish on the way up. They're averaging 20lbs or better. Stripers also have been located so boats will start combo fishing for both this week. I'll be going out again perhaps friday or Saturday since I have every friday off until January.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Surprised they're still around.... big Blues + topwater plugs = :D

FJF likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

One of my best nights fishing was me and my father in law under the villano bridge throwing top water plugs. Blues and speckled trout on almost every cast. The night before thanksgiving. It was the stuff you dream about

CBG likes this.
  6. FJF

See some snow flakes in the long range forecast

CBG likes this.
  7. stinkyB

NICE.... fun stuff.
    In the college days we'd paddle (whatever shitty floating craft we had (canoe, longboard, etc ;)) to the third platform under the lights and do the same. With the fullmoon this weekend, I wish I would've went friday night

What year was it?
    One year I was fishing off the rocks on the backside of matanzas the day before Thanksgiving (I'm guessin 2009,) and slayed some trout and blues on white paddle tails..... made for some smoked fish dip and ceviche appetizers on Thanksgiving

#847 stinkyB, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

3rd pylon. That’s right what we were standing on. I think it was 2006 or 2007 . Think we would have been there all nite if a dolphin didn’t come in and shut the nite down.
    Damn I miss the salt now

9. Cman68

Yep... Its official barring inclement weather, it will be Jurassic Blues on Friday!

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

C MAN at one time Grandpa CBG held the record for the largest striper ever caught up to that time out of Sheepshead Bay,,,,,I had relatives who were good but the old man knew how to do this fishing thing he was excellent ! Have fun out there brother !

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  11. stinkyB

Dec Inshore NE FL:

With water temperatures cooling down this month, look for the inshore fishing to heat up. For me, the next few months are the most exciting time of year to target reds on the flats and creeks. I’m hoping for a cold-ish winter this year, as much as I don’t like freezing my butt off, the cold temps will kill the algae in the water, resulting in clearer, sight-fishable awesomeness. Hopefully the rain will let up enough for the tannins that have our water stained right now to clear out a bit as well. It’ll be time to go to your favorite flat, put on your polarized Costa sunglasses and start looking for fish. The creek fishing will be on fire as well. The redfish will push into the shallowest areas of the creeks on the low tides to warm up and feed on small minnows and shrimp. This time of year, you'll get to sleep in and wait for the sun to be out for a while to warm up the water. Clearer water can mean spookier fish, so downsize your baits/lures for a stealthier approach. On extreme low tides the redfish, trout and flounder will get schooled up in area creek holes. A live shrimp or mud minnow tossed into those holes using a 1/4oz Slayer Inc. jighead can’t be beat.
    When up on the flats, look for darker mud and oyster-laden bottom to be holding redfish, trout, and flounder. These areas will warm up faster than others on sunny days; a few degrees can really make a difference. Another benefit of dropping water temps is the redfish will start schooling on the flats. If you know where to look you can find huge schools of tightly packed redfish this time of year. Locate these fish from a distance by looking for “muds” (discolored muddy water caused by moving fish) and/or pushing wakes made by moving fish. Redfish singles and doubles can also be found sunning themselves in the shallows, especially along side and on top of oyster bars this time of year. These fish will be lazy so make sure to present your bait in a slow and methodical manner. When I spot a stationary fish, I like to cast long of him and at least a few feet to either the left or right of the fish depending on which way he's facing. Then work the bait slowly back to where the fish is (this will help to not spook the fish). Sometimes they will like it moving a little faster and sometimes a little slower. It’s always fun trying to find the right approach.
    Trout fishing should turn on as it cools down as well. The overabundance of fresh water the hurricane and subsequent rain storms dropped on us this fall should be moving out and the trout should be liking that saltier water. My favorite trout lure for this time of year is the Slayer Inc. SST paddle tail in pearl paired with a Slayer Inc. 1/4oz jighead. The tail has a ton of thump and the trout just can’t resist it. The jig, jig, pause method works best for me. Target creek mouths, ICW banks, and any type of structure with moving water and you’ll be sure to find some trout hanging out.
    Sheepshead fishing should really start to get good this month as well. Target area bridges, docks, and pilings with fiddler crabs to catch the tasty porgies.

Be sure to check out my Daily Fishing Reports online @www.InshoreAdventures.net. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good bite!

FJF, CBG and Cman68 like this.
  12. stinkyB

So much for snapper "mini season"

FRIDAY
    North northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet
    with occasional seas up to 10 feet. A chance of showers.

FRIDAY NIGHT
    Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots with gusts to
    around 35 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet with occasional seas up to
    11 feet building to 8 to 11 feet with occasional seas up to
    14 feet after midnight. Showers likely.

SATURDAY
    East northeast winds 20 to 25 knots with gusts to
    around 35 knots. Seas 9 to 12 feet with occasional seas up to
    15 feet. A chance of showers.

SATURDAY NIGHT
    East northeast winds 20 to 25 knots with gusts
    to around 35 knots. Seas 8 to 11 feet with occasional seas up to
    14 feet. A slight chance of showers.

SUNDAY
    East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 6 to 9 feet
    with occasional seas up to 11 feet. A chance of showers.

:confused:

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Wow Stinky Thats some vicious shit man.

14. Cman68

Huge Porgys today.. This one was 3lbs !

Blackfish season starts on thursday. Looks like I'll keep on fishing until it gets too cold. Wifey is done for the season though.

[​IMG]

stinkyB and CBG like this.
  15. stinkyB

NICE.... looks very similar to our "Pink Porgy" (head's not as fat, and obviously without the colors)
    We have to catch em deep though.... over 100'. min size is 14". They are tasty though

Of course, I was planning fishing on bye week weekend.
    Intention was to paddle my yak to a secluded camping spot on saturday, camp out saturday night, and be at the fishin spots before sunrise and fish all day....... but ANOTHER weekend front. Supposed to blow 20kts on sunday.... that doesnt bode well for tossing artificials in skinny tidal creeks from a plastic vessel :mad::mad:
    I guess I'm working on the house ... as usual :(

16. Cman68

Join the club.. I got leaves up the ying yang this weekend too. Front blowing thru killing the first weekend of Tog fishin of course. On call next week, then Family the weekend after that and my first Tog trip might not happen until Dec 8th. weekend. This time of year is so transitional that any front coming thru is gonna stir up the water and kill the bite. I got that guy in about 125'. He put up a really nice fight too. Challenged my MH rig and 30lb test. That was pretty much the average size at that spot with one 5lb coming over the rail. Rest of the day we switched over to Sea Bass and pretty much stocked up for the winter. Time to break out the Grundens... :)

#856 Cman68, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    stinkyB likes this.
  17. stinkyB

Well really fished inshore for the first time in prob. 6 months and prob the 2nd time since the matthew flood

Was hesitant as theres still so much to fix around here but fukit

Picked a great morning to do it Flood tide with this moon i left early to get in some "skinny" water. Dropped the yak in as the the moon wAs setting and sun was rising

There was Lots of action but i was striking out on topwater plug. Weather was beautiful as was the orange sunrise. Peace and quiet too

Switched to a slayer paddletail and landed a keeper redfish. But he had his vengengance when he knocked over my water bottle spilling it everywhere

Then decided to do some exploring in the flood tide. Unproductive fishing wise but fun regardless. Then had a surprise when a big wake proceeded a scaly silhouette Headed towards me.... SHIT

Turned out to be a manatee with barnacles and he cruised around me for a while

Then i went on to catch a few more short reds before the front moved theough and the wind blew NE. Time to head home.... But ill admit. I was head bobbing during the JETS game... 5 hrs of sleep + no water and food + beers = tko
    Of course the one real entertaining hame this year

But it was worth it. :)

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  18. FJF

Where did you put in? Shouldn’t you be pulling in the flounder now?

19. stinkyB

Back behind Matanzas Inlet.... lots of little creeks in the area

I'm pretty sure I missed a few flounder (I just fish artificials inshore) but overall I'm about a month late for the hot flounder bite

20. Cman68

Early Christmas Gift... Wifey is the best!

Xmas Gift_zpscns59d1y.JPG