The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What do you do with those..? Broil, Grill?

2. Cman68

Been reading the reports out of Belmar/Brielle. No Stripers yet. Some folks still think that Sandy really tore up the bottom. So much so that the fishing hasn't been the same since that storm.

I'm targeting 4/27 as my first day out on the water. Hopefully, Mama Nature will cooperate. I still need water temps over 50deg to make any Striper trip worth it. If not, there's always Blackfish as they're back in season now.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yeah the one that just ripped that marlin in half, pretty ridiculous then again it is Oz so probably fairly common down there. There is a vid out there of a few guys on the North Coast of Australia that are catching some smaller sharks off the beach and a giant croc comes and snags one their catch.

I haven't seen that site, will have to check it out, hopefully work doesn't block it. I know there are some beaches in Florida I'd avoid because there seems to be a pattern. The one in particular is north of Daytona but it seems like Volusia and Brevard Counties seem to have a very high rate of attacks.

I know a few months ago a guy was killed near Santa Barbara and the waters off California seem to be loaded with Great Whites especially near Santa Cruz.

4. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

The top one just filet and eat sashimi style with a little ponzu and wasabi or Chinese hot mustard.

The bottom is stuffed with mayo, Maui onions, tomato, mushroom, lup cheong (Chinese sausage) and taro. Than wrapped with Ti leaf and foil, than onto the grill slow baking over kiawe wood (similiar to mesquite). By far my absolute favorite fish.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we are waiting the striper run up here too. usually kicks off in may when the big breeders come up to spawn
    . i wonder if its going to be late this year based on what you are hearing?

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

is that a small Alua?

and in regards to the parrot fish; you guys don't get cigueterra (sp?) from them? figured it could be a problem since hey chomp on the coral. Maybe not since they're lower on the food chain. either way, pretty fish. I'd like to make a gyotaku print of one someday.

7. stinkyB

http://ocearch.com/

The cool feature is the "shark tracker" where they have Whites tagged with a trackable GPS.

There's also a featured story about JAX like I mentioned. crazy.

Volusia is the "Shark attack Capital of the world" but it's mostly small spinners & blacktips taking nips at people as they chase baitfish in the surf. A few stitches and a Merit badge :wink: Particularly New Smyrna / Ponce Inlet area.......

Not like the gnarly Great Whites that come out of deep water :eek:hmy:

8. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Yeah every time I try it just fails ever since I was a kid. To be fair though, I've mostly gone river fishing with rod looking for Cobbler in not so great places for Cobbler. Plan is to head up to Rowley Shoals and around the north coast of WA sometime this year for some diving and maybe some fishing if we book in a boat.

[YOUTUBE]RWGkuMnc7OE[/YOUTUBE]

Can't wait to go for a dive up there.

9. Barry the Baptist

I went snorkeling in Bonaire a few years ago and the island is essentially a reef. There were more parrott fish than I could count. I also saw a few barracuda which are nasty looking but from what I hear stray from humans. I'm pretty sure I've eaten barracuda but it was called ono. I know your in Florida but one of my favorites is skate, very tasty.

10. stinkyB

Ono = Wahoo

11. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

It's Ulua, not Alua. Lol.

And I've never in my life heard about that cigueterra thing. Been eating uhu's, menpachis, wekes and papios all my life and never got sick. Even A`ama and slipper lobster. And if they're lower on the "food chain" guess ima broke bum but hey more for me and my 'ohana.

12. stinkyB

haha, just noticed the "alua"...... anyway, is it?

here, eating some reef fish gets you sick (esp. barracuda, because they eat other reef fish, and bio-magnification makes it worse up the food chain, some grouper in SFL too....... like mercury poison in big kingfish.... has nothing to do with being broke)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

Welcome to the mainland :shit: :wink:

13. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Must be an Atlantic Ocean thing ;)

14. Cman68

Here's the latest out of Brielle, NJ compliments of the Big Jamaica:

I'm thinking closer to the end of the month although this latest warmup might move things up a bit.

15. stinkyB

water temps are below normal here too...... same thing. Mild winter followed by the coldest March in 30+ years. East winds this week should change things...and hopefully bring in the Pompano & Cobia

16. Barry the Baptist

My mother told me it was in the 80's yesterday. Hope it stays like that and warms those waters up a bit. I'll be planning my trip back East soon so I'll def. hit you up and we can go for some blues or maybe fluke. My deal stands, you can keep whatever I catch (unless my mother is in the mood to filet some blues than I'll keep one or two)

BTW have you seen this show called River Monsters? If not you should check it out, this guy is bordeline insane but he goes into some of the biggest rivers in the world like the Zambezi or Amazon and tries to catch these "man eaters". One episode he caught this 5-600 lb catfish that was eating children and came to associate the soapy water when the natives washed and bathed with children. Crazy

17. Cman68

Your Mom was right. It was absolutely georgeous today. Nice and toasty in the 80's with no rain. The water should start warming up but when we're talking the Jersey shore, that's a lot of water to warm up. I've heard that near the beaches, the temps are approaching 50F. Stripers have been sighted too but they're just not hungry.. Yet.. I just might be in the sweetwater for Crappie before I'm inshore after the bigboys. I'm gonna do a drive by my fishing lake (Blue Marsh outside of Reading, PA) and see if the ramps are useable yet. Sometimes, they let out too much water before winter and it takes forever to get the water levels back up to put out the floating docks. That lake is not great for bank fishing and boaters have the advantage.

I'm a rabid "River Monsters" fan Barry. Been watching that crazy bastard jump in the river with the man-eaters. He actually jumped in the Amazon where a guy had a tiny catfish swim up his dick. Unbelievable right.. :)

Personally, I think the man is batshit crazy but, I have to give him credit. How do you get funding to go around the world and fish every backwater that has a rural legend attached to it?

Somehow, one of these days, I see him coming accross a situation somewhat like Steve Irwin did. Perhaps jumping in the water with the maneaters isn't such a great idea.

#37 Cman68, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is a nice warm spell, should keep the spawn run on schedule.

i got skunked in the trout streams sunday and the resevoirs are still too cold for the lakers. slow start to the season but i think another week and we will have a good bite

19. Cman68

I'm definetly gonna do a driveby of Blue Marsh Lake. I have the number to the lake office so tomorrow, I think I'm giving them a call for some info. I don't want to miss Crappie spawn this year. Blue Marsh is a lake you fish early in the year because of the pleasure boaters, jet skiers, etc. I've done alright with smallies later in the season back in the no-wake zone. PA has a ban on keeping smallies that stretches into June so, they're off the list for now.

20. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member