The Official DC Comics Film Universe Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 20, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair have both said it's worse than Fantastic 4.

Ouch.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That is impossible, no movie other then Catwoman was worse then Fantastic 4.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Royal Tee and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

fucking hell...How is a David Ayer film turning this bad with the critics?

It has to be the WB studios coming in the middle of things again. It just has to, I mean this is the same man who directed a great ensemble movie called Fury.

Anyways, because of Tmobile Tuesdays I am seeing this movie with the wife for free

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fury was great. Yeah, these early reviews are disappointing, but I will still give it a shot.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I did like Fury a lot, but it's his only movie that I've seen so I don't have a opinion of Ayers either way.

But this movie always looked like shit to me, and I knew it had no hope when I saw the nonsensical version of the Joker, which screamed someone trying too hard to create a clever new version of the character.

the marketing department at WB should be given an award for making a trailer that apparently skewed far from the tone of the movie to get people interested. That was the early commentary from past screenings, that the movie didn't have the silly bohemian rhapsody tone of the trailer.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You watch the movie yet?

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont buy much into critic reviews. There are plenty of movies they say afe great that i think are shit. The reddit people ive talked to who have seen it, said it was good. So ill wait to see it myself.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Report: Warner Bros. Turned Suicide Squad Into a Mess in Its Panic OverBvS Criticism

The early reviews are in—and many are lambasting Suicide Squad for being a tonal mess. A new report released by The Hollywood Reporter today claims to have the answer as to how that came about, and it apparently has a lot to do with audiences’ less-than-stellar reaction to Batman v Superman.—and WB’s worried reaction tothat.

The extensive report—sourced through comments from unnamed Warner Bros. insiders, so grain of salt, etc.—cites a bevy of stresses about the production of the movie, from an alleged rush to meet its August 2016 release date to a supposed concern about David Ayer’s ability to handle an effects-driven summer blockbuster.

But worries about the approach Ayer was taking with the film apparently got even more heated when Warner Bros. were blindsided by the vicious critical response to Batman v Superman earlier this year:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin [Tsujihara, Warner Bros. CEO] was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squaddidn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

The concern lead to two alleged rival cuts of the film—one, Ayer’s darker take on the group of villainous misfits, the other a romp that focused on splashy effects and pop-song-infused humor that resonated in the movie’s early trailers. They were both screened for test audiences, until eventually a compromise between the two cuts was found—one that would need extensive reshoots to meld the two wildly different films together, hence the vaunted reports of reshoots that were claimed to “add humor” to the film earlier this year:

In May, Ayer’s more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. “If there are multiple opinions that aren’t in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least,” says an insider. “That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus.” Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to “a very common-ground place.” (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

The whole thing is definitely worth a read at the link below—and it certainly offers a good reason for the consistent critique in reviews of how Suicide Squad feels like two very different films mushed together. Suffice to say if these allegations are true, there’s probably a lot more pressure onWonder Woman and Justice League to excel now than there already was.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/report-warner-bros-turned-suicide-squad-into-a-mess-i-1784760580

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Without reading this, I am going to predict the fucking WB took Suicide Squad from a semi-serious movie and made into a comedic clutter with action.

Ayer knows how to build suspense and set up great dialogue. WB is botching DC with the extreme over reaction

mute likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

That explains the reshoots. So they largely restructured the film, and then did reshoots to facilitate their own restructuring. Sounds like this is getting worse and not better for WB and the DCEU. They already messed up BvS, this to me is on a larger scale. I really liked that first trailer.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squaddidn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

The concern lead to two alleged rival cuts of the film—one, Ayer’s darker take on the group of villainous misfits, the other a romp that focused on splashy effects and pop-song-infused humor that resonated in the movie’s early trailers. They were both screened for test audiences, until eventually a compromise between the two cuts was found—one that would need extensive reshoots to meld the two wildly different films together, hence the vaunted reports of reshoots that were claimed to “add humor” to the film earlier this year

Maybe its me, but I like the somber films with less splashy CGI all over the screen. Panic led to a butchered film. I will be pissed on Friday I think when I see the movie

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

Not just you at all bud, I like the somber tone of DC from the animated movies to the Nolan series, that's what makes DC great. Why is WB trying to turn Suicide Squad into Guardians of the Galaxy? If they fuck up how Harley Quinn becomes the character she is today, I am going to be royally pissed. When you change the tone of the movie like this, you put in danger character development. Quinn and Joker, they have a dark tone. They aren't funny characters, they have sick sadistic humor, which is a different feel. I feel the humor and plot are forced now. I'll be seeing it tomorrow at 10pm, I am a little worried.

Jonathan_Vilma and Poeman like this.
  13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Like i said i dont put much stock on these things from i see things for myself. RT have Ghostbusters a fresh rating, so.... That tells you all got need to know. I think a hive mentality (particularly in today's society) leads to bashing or loving things.

It's in vogue to say Marvel movies are great and DC, when the reality is, marvel hasn't made a great movie in years. Deadpool was made by Fox, so they can't even claim that.

in reality DC had dominated multimedia for years with got TV shows and animated movies.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It still will be #1 movie and gross a good amount of money, but casual moviegoers and most people look at Rotten Tomatoes. Its showing up on TV spots alot nowadays...I think they screwed Ayer with his true version of the film. My biggest issue with the theatrical BvS was the choppy editing. Have not seen the Ultimate edition yet

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Then you haven't seen the real movie until you have.

16. 101GangGreen101

I don't think there was much change in Ghostbusters other then the cast. I didn't see the movie yet, but I get the feeling they use the old formula with new characters judging by the trailers. This situation looks to be different.

I know you didn't like Civil War, but the Cap series are great movies. Guardians of the Galaxy was great also. DC has dominated the animated TV / movies / video games for sometime now, but I think Marvel is getting the leg up on the non-animated TV shows. Daredevil / Jessica Jones are A+ while The Flash probably a tier below it because Barry keeps fucking with the God damn timeline.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'll probably buy it soon...My top 3 favorite film of all time is the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Its a complete masterpiece literally. A total different film vs the theatrical cut that FOX fucked in the ass and screwed over.

Ridley Scott has a intro at the beginning of the film telling everyone, that the Director's Cut is the film he wanted released (its another hour long)

zace likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No, for Ghostbusters, they didnt use the same formula. Its different and boring and it was documented that the studio pretty much called anyone who didn't like it sexist, so people were reluctant to give it honest reviews.

Winter soldier was great. The first cap was ok. Civil war was bad. Im sorry it was. GoG was ok. It wasnt bad, it wasnt great either. It was somewhere in the middle.

Marvel cant even touch DC on the show part. Between Super Girl, the Flash, Arrow, LoT, DC is ruling the airwaves. Marvel will never touch that. the weakest link in all of DC tv is gotham. I think that show definitely leaves a lot to be desired. It needs to go full on batman or be done. Not the teasing crap. Its pacing is too slow.

Marvel had a Great animated show... And they killed it. Dunno of you ever saw Avengers earths mightiest heroes, but it was good. It left me excited about Marvels animated shows. Not thia crap that comes on the Disney Channel now. Drake and Josh the Spider-Man show.

I think each does something better than the other. DCs only problem is starting a collected movie universe too late. Not that theyre somehow worse.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hey even TDK revised his opinion after seeing it. I think WB needs to let its movie division make movies. Stop interfering.

20. 101GangGreen101

What I meant in terms of formula is they didn't change the movie from a comedy action to something completely different. Something that didn't fit the characters' personalities. Those actresses arent funny at all and just stereotyped their jokes because they are women.

The Marvel movies we will have to agree to disagree. I think the Cap movies is hands down the best comic book movie trilogy to date. The movies flowed well and the character development was near perfect. Marvel had bad movies in the past but same with DC. Marvel is winning right now in that department. Too late for DC.

In terms of non animated TV shows, have you ever seen the Arrow? That show is absolute trash. Supergirl had its moments but again no where near as good as Jessica Jones or Daredevil. The Flash and LoT are the only good DC shows. I won't even go into Gotham, that's how I feel about that show. I love the Flash TV show. However wait until Luke Cage, Punisher and Defenders goes onto Netflix, it's going to change the game.

DC makes the best animated shows and movies, not up for debate. Batman and Superman animitated shows was perfect. Spiderman and Xmen on Fox back then was awesome too ... all 4 shows were true to source material, but I love DCs animated movies

I agree they both bring something to the table, DCEU created all of these characters with no character development. They should've kicked off DCEU with the Flash IMO instead of Batman vs Superman but that's my opinion. Could've opened up so many more arcs.

I think they messed up SS of they wanted to change the tone.