The New York Jets Select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We do have a lot invested, but it's a poor investment, and an elite pass rusher also improves the secondary. If Jenkins and/or Mauldin were elite we would know that by now. I wouldn't argue for cutting them, but they aren't the answer either.

And I'm in sync with your argument for focusing on the offense first, but am unsure whether we can find the elite pass rusher and safety later, whereas assuming they can't get Fournette, Howard is starting to raise some questions based on his commitment; Cook's off field stuff is a real question, especially reports of his drinking; Macc reportedly won't take Mixon, so the next best "O" guy I can see is McCaffrey, but if you take him, the best pass rushers and Safeties will be gone by 39. True, McCaffrey will be also if they take a "D" guy at 6, but there are a couple of RBs that would be pretty close to him that should be available.

Of course, if they can trade down and get more quality picks, that changes things a lot, and makes drafting "O" first more workable, while still addressing the "D", but until they're OTC, we won't know if a trade down will be offered.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

did you specify free safety? If you did, i didn't see it still with that said
    landon collins is listed at SS on NFL.com but didn't play SS. he played FS (and even CB when injuries hit. SS don't play CB it's not their skill set) giants official site lists him at S (not SS or FS) and EPSN lists him as a CB lol on the giants depth chart, but i watch every jet and giant game and collins was a Free safety playing centerfield and covering WRs and TEs. SS don't get 5 INTs in a season. He can play both positions. he played SS in college because they also had clinton dix and when dix got hurt they moved collins to FS to fill in. he can play either position.
    Jerry reese (giants GM on collins) ""I just see [Collins] as a safety. One or the other has to come down into the box at some point and they have to go back and play coverage at some point. I think he's just a versatile safety.""
    madden (the NFL game) lists him at FS http://madden-player-ratings.pointafter.com/l/11736/Landon-Collins-Madden-17

So yeah there is no definitive answer but if you watch the game he was mostly used as a FS but also in the box like a SS at times and even as a CB, the guy is just a straight baller and was a 2nd round pick

fournette scouting reports (7 different sources)
    source 1
    "He maxed out at four receptions in a game, hitting that number on three separate occasions. Still, Fournette’s receiving skills are underrated, and they could help keep him on the field for all three downs."

source 2
    listed as strengths
    • Has receiving ability
    • Willing blocker in blitz pickup with potential to be very good

source 3
    listed as strengths
    Hands are adequate in passing game.

source 4
    Physical pass blocker who recorded a pass-blocking efficiency of 97 percent or higher in all three years, albeit on a small sample size.

source 5
    His technique as a pass blocker isn’t perfect, but his thick frame makes him more than adequate when picking up blitzes. He’s not been used terribly often as a receiver out of the backfield, but while he’s not as natural a pass-catcher as some other backs in this class, Fournette can still do some damage when he gets the ball in space.

source 6
    He has room to grow in the passing game. He has excellent hands but his route running isn't crisp and he's very inexperienced as a pass blocker. He has the quickness and athletic ability to develop into a passing-game weapon, but right now in his development he lacks precision and allows inferior athletes to stay with him underneath. LSU's passing game features a lot of play-action, with Fournette functioning as a decoy or leaking out into the route. He's seldom asked to stay in and protect the passer. In his limited opportunities, he was aware and showed the ability to stay square. He just needs more reps in this area.

source 7
    In the passing game, he displays solid hands, but he still needs work if he wants to be involved in this phase. He doesn't have much experience running routes out of the backfield or when motioned out wide. He also hasn't caught many passes in those scenarios which takes much more focus than just catching a dump off. As a pass protector, he strikes well and has the competitive nature necessary to be successful in this area. He needs to keep his feet more active but once again, he does not have a ton of experience in the area.

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

jenkins only played 1 half year, mouldin played 2 (but missed games) and flashed some pass rushing ability. and they were 3rd and 4th rounders and have potential. we write off picks too soon. If there is an elite pass rushing OLB i wouldn't be against it (like beasley for instance) but we have a lot invested in the d-line and I think we could benefit more from using 4 man fronts with a pass rush. wilk (when healthy) williams and richardson (if he stays) are all capable of 10+ sack seasons

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Did you just list a madden website for a player's position? Collins played near the box and intermediate, he wasn't a single high safety. I know you are trying to twist this in your favor, but it's not going to work here. Collins is a strong safety, not a single high free safety that plays down the field.

Elliot proved on film he was a better pass protector and catcher out of the back-field. You can watch any game and you will see that.

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the discussion between you guys, pardon the interruption. Here's an awesome site to view and analyze film, a selection second to none and the prospect is located and identified prior to each play:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?draft_class=2017&position=EDGE

Br4d and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

Yup, I use that site to view every prospect. It's a very good site. Doesn't have the full angles you want, but good nonetheless.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Pags2112

Agreed on the angles .. I read they are later upgrading allowing for multiple angles of the same play with user interface. I'm assuming they are getting permission and will receive footage .. but you never know.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if they're going to switch to a 4-3, okay, but so far they haven't said they will do that. I still believe that putting constant pressure on the QB is a bigger plus than allowing the QB time to pick the secondary apart, which they did even with Revis.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think you are under estimating the quality of Hooker.. He has the best ball skills in the draft by a mile! Watch some tape on him he's got incredible instincts, speed and athleticism.

101GangGreen101 and Pags2112 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

lol...sign him straight from his couch to IR :p

11. Pags2112

Agreed .. I prefer him hands down over Adams .. if we stay at 6. He goes for the ball as if it were a huge diamond he could immediately cash in. I haven't seen all of the top 15 Safeties film yet, so I don't have an opinion on wether we could still find a talented alternative in the later rounds. As far as TE, Edge/3-4 LB(Being the least deep), RB and CB ... IHT that we could find very productive and talented starters after Rds 1 & 2 at all those positions. Some prospects IMO have talent very close to those labeled 1st rounders. The more film I watch, the deeper this draft seems and the more I want a FEW tradedowns. Give me picks, picks, and MORE PICKS!!!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Anyone know what Schefter is currently cryptically tweeting about? Looks like a big trade is in the works (probably not Jets related).

13. 101GangGreen101

You might be able to in Marcus Williams from Utah, probably the 2nd best center field free safety in the draft. He's on draftbreakdown as well.

However his tackling is worse then Hooker despite having more experience.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Playmaker on O. Fournette, Cook or Howard. Team's going to be atrocious next season so might as well be entertained.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hooker is a nice talent but something about him I don't like.....quite frankly I am not sure what it is. have seen several video clips and 1-2 interviews but still not sure. I would pick howard over hooker at 6.

16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Prefer the Jets to trade down for extra picks and nab a Safety or CB with their first round pick. Problem is who and what teams will move up? Browns imo will exchange with the Titans to get their QB in Trubinsky.

If Jets cannot trade down I say we go with more of an immmediate impact player with their 6th pick and that is TE Howard. Should help out a little with whatever QB we go with.

17. GasedAndConfused

I've watched all the tape on the prospects (well the top ones lol) I'm not doubting his skills, i just don't think safety is the way to go for us and he won't be BPA either probably. If we already had a good offense sure i'd take him, but i think we need to focus on the offense this draft. o-line needs youth and skill, our TE position is a joke, our QB position is in the air, and while i like our WRs and the depth we have I don't think we have a true number 1. also the RB position is old and doesn't look good after this season

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

so you ignore everything the scouts say i listed (7 sources) you claimed he isn't a 3 down back yet PFF (are they a joke too?) rated him as the highest pass blocker in college over the past 3 years with a 97% efficiency. Also ESPN lists collins as a CB so lol seriously and that's EPSN. If you actually watched the games (which clearly you didn't) you would have seen him playing FS a majority of the time with some plays at CB and some at SS in the box and he was a 2nd round pick and just as good as (if not better then) the rest of the free safeties you listed

19. GasedAndConfused

i agree for sure. games are won in the trenches. but we have pass rushing talent bowles needs to use it better.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i think its malik hooker the fact that we didn't visit O.J Howard once is a bit weird but maybe was so that they dont show their hand.