The Lost Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Jan 20, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Kidded about this in some previous post but 2017 is shaping up to be SOJs with the uncertainty about Bowles future, dearth of good CS candidates, no OC on horizon, boom or bust for Mac with his selections in FA and Draft, Waldo filling for bro, London calling, lack of team solidarity, attitudes etc...

I see some hope in our GM especially since his concentration is in right place (signed Winters)

I have much less hope in Coach Bowles for about a 100 reasons..

Next September is filled with uncertainty in terms of Wins /Losses

So is this rock bottom?? Empty feeling here....

How are you guys gonna get by?? lol

(Keep it funny...)

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Its only a lost season if we start some retread never was qb and don't concentrate on finding the qb of the future. we have been pushing off this season for 10 years but now the bills are due. we could have paid it after 2014 but the billboarders were too restless. so now here we are. lets hope we make the best of it and find some good young talent and maybe even a qb

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm going to watch the rebuild with a lot of interest if it happens. If it's SOJ with a free agent QB to try to fill the seats and a few other signings getting in the way of developing young players, I'll just do what I did this year and tune out until late and then come back preaching the rebuild again.

There's absolutely no point in following the Jets actively to complain about what's going on. That was a workable strategy in the early 00's when Parcells had left a decent talent base and it was going slowly to ruin. For the last half decade we've been in ruin, carefully masked by free agent signings to prop sales for the season.

The only honest season we've had in the last 6 or so was 2014 when the Jets actually tried to rebuild and fell down in the process because the fans couldn't handle the rebuild and revolted. That happened because the Jets had built up unreasonable expectations over time. The fans were used to seeing the parade of names brought in to fix the team and when the Jets didn't do that in 2014 they started putting up billboards and flying planes.

When the talent isn't there unreasonable expectations will never be met. By 2014 the team had flat-lined on the free agent strategy and lousy drafting and there was nowhere to go but down. That will be a recurrent pattern over the next decade if the Jets don't do a real rebuild competently at this point.

nycarl, Jonathan_Vilma, twown and 2 others like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think the Yankees and Mets both showed that the NY fan is just fine with a rebuild year IF its done right and the team shows progress.

b.reyes16, Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll be watching 2017 more from an analytical perspective than an emotional one although that transistion has been happening for quite a few years now. I won't be expecting anything from this team. Not even competitiveness. This will be the first year I'll have zero expectations and most likely won't be disappointed.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'll watch the first couple of games out of curiosity. I'm not expecting miracles, or even wins, but if the team shows up unprepared and uncompetitive like they did repeatedly this season I'll easily find something else to on Sundays.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I will be pleased this up coming year if I see a difference in general attitude, I want a coach who does not put up with selfish lack of hustle, ( at least 5 or 6 players) constant penalties ( another 3 or 4 ) a coach who calls these guys out on the field and in post game press conferences.
    Make the locker room lawyers shut up or hit the road.
    Have a coach who at least seems interested in what is going on during the game.
    Last I look forward to having a offense that does not believe in playing not to lose and making a mistake a priority in not happening, play to score and do whatever it takes to score points.
    This is the start of a season needed, I have confidence in McCagnan making the right moves in this draft and off season.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  8. Br4d

How did the great Super Bowl winning QB's of the last 20 years get found?

Peyton Manning - #1 pick - won in 2006 with a $10.56M cap hit, won in 2015 with a $21.5M cap hit.
    Kurt Warner - UDFA - won in 1999 with a $250K cap hit!
    Tom Brady - 6th round pick - hasn't had a cap number over $14.8M from 2011-2016
    Ben Roethlisberger - #11 pick - won in 2008 with an $8.2M cap hit.
    Eli Manning - #1 pick - won in 2011 with a $14.1M cap hit. 2007 was a balloon year in his rookie contract but not sure of the figure.
    Drew Brees - #32 pick - hard to get cap figures but was on a 6 yr $60M deal at the time.
    Aaron Rodgers - #24 pick years early - paid $6.5M on the cap the year the Packers won it.
    Joe Flacco - #18 pick - paid $8M on the cap the year Ravens won it.
    Russell Wilson - 3rd round pick - paid under a million on the cap the year the Seahawks won it.

The lesson from all of this is pick your QB's early in the draft and win it at least once on their first contract, then convince them to take team-friendly deals to keep the winning going down the road.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've said this before but it's a new thread so I'll say it again. I think there's enough talent on this team to win now with the right QB. I don't think either Petty or Hackenberg are the right QB for now. They may be for the future, but fans will have to suffer through a losing season or two to find out. If they draft one in the first round, he will be the QB for better or worse.

10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Talent? OL is in shambles, no game changers on Offense, no TE, secondary sucks, LB corp is iffy at best....
    And no QB.

All I want to see next season is improvement through out the season - players and coaches - because it's going to take a couple of years to build up the talent level on this team. And they need to learn how to win.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not right now, but after FA / Draft we could be in position to be a much better team. Realistically, I believe the Jets could fix the entire secondary in 1 off-season. Find a LT in FA for next season. Get another receiver to go along with Enunwa, Robby Anderson.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ty all for the input

Yes there is light at the end of the Tunnel even with a pretty lame duck Coach I guess

13. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

It really comes down to Todd. If he can show progress as a HC next year then we have hope. If its the same lame duck, pussified team that has zero direction then we are screwed and bound to another new coaching staff in 2018.

14. Br4d

As long as the Jets have the #1 pick next season the coaching staff did their job. If all hell breaks loose in the locker room well that's a firing offense independent of a team's record if it's the second year in a row.

15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I've already said, and seems like I'll be saying it all off season, I don't think woody's brother is going to come in and clean house his first season. Woody doesn't seem concerned with the franchise.
    I feel pretty confident mac and Bowles are under very little pressure

16. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I'll watch the games with the same critical view I always had. Praise those who do a 100% job and post the failures from the Coaches to the players. What ever happens, happens. I have no input on the results one way or another. Watching the Jets is a 60 year old habit, with not many good years, but I won't quit yet.

westiedog1 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

As much of a Jets fan as I am, I struggle these days to even stay interested. I have NO clue what the hell the GM and CS is actually doing? To me they both look like they are in way over their heads. I do agree next season will be very hard to watch. As this team is currently comprised, they look like laughingstocks. And YES that really hurts to say...

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's a best case scenario for the actual rebuild of the franchise. If you put the regime under the gun they're going to do everything any human being on the hot seat to get fired would do and bring in as much talent as possible to go 8-8, 9-7 next year.

We kept both. Now we need to move forward with them and possibly endure another shitty season or two before it gets better. The worst thing Woody and his brother can do is not put them on the hot seat, watch us go 5-11 and then cave to cleaning house when the fans complain. We've already done that cycle and it's put us in this current mess with unproven young talent and overpaid old veterans.

Please. Not again.

Jedi mind tricks, FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Woody's brother but I sure would like it if he would come in and bash some reason into these guys like Parcells did. Wishful thinking?

Royal Tee likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

48 Lost Seasons in a row