The Jets will be NFL's surprise 2017 team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 20, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Neither one applies to our M$M. He was signed to be a M so, he's a M. It was TB and his job insecurity that has propelled our M$M into a potential starting Qb.

Tellya what Rale... I'll refer to our M$M as simply M.. We already have a Qb coach and backup Qbs.

#41 Cman68, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Let's guarantee it. Hire the Mets medical staff. Ans I say this a very long time Met fan.
    [​IMG]

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

First off there is a reason teams don't like to start two rookie safeties .( there is going to be a serious learning curve for both) Both should eventually be very good, but it won't be in year one.

Second the Jets CB position still isn't very good- do you see the teams they play next season. Those passing attacks are going to shred the Jets secondary.

Three where is the pass rush coming from. As impressive as their defense line is, they are still basically all DT's. ( those guys don't get there fast enough ).

If the Jets are seriously counting on Hackenberg to be their Qb than they are in a lot worse shape than anyone imagine. Qb who have to radically change their mechanics , it never seems to work out.( See Tim Tebow - you know how much he invested in Qb coaches, and when got into trouble reverted back to what he felt comfortable doing.

I hope you turn out to be right about Hackenberg , but I wouldn't bet on it.

JetsNation06, westiedog1 and boozer32 like this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yup an absolute calamity.

6-10 we are screwed for another 3-4 years.

Footballgod214, K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Until the Jets fix the most important position they will continue to stink. Plus we still have Bowles.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Reading thru this thread without interruption i see several posts calling for 6-10, 7-9, possibly even 8-8...

You folks do realize who the QB is, right? Yes that's right. There isn't one. We aren't the pats or the steelers or the broncos that can plug in some shmuck at QB. Oh and there is that problem with the current head coach who may really be lost on the sideline.

4 wins at best, likely 3-13.

My guess is that it gets us the # 3 pick next year but not close to #1 d'arnold. They better do their best bears imitation and go get the top dog cause we may never get another chance.

7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I understand the negative feedback regarding our forthcoming record this year but let's be honest. Our QB is is no worse than last year. Fitz never won us any games. When the jets won our ground game had a big impact. It can only get better so let's just leave it at that. Moving on this team improved when we dropped all the overpaid underachievers after '16.
    Remember how crappy the jets were and we won 5 games. I'm not saying we will win 6-7 but this team is better than '16.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Did anyone in Florham Park actually declare the bolded or did you get that through osmosis from seeing it here way too often?

Is there a section on the depth chart headed "Superfluous?"

9. Cman68

http://turnonthejets.com/2017/03/new-york-jets-sign-josh-mccown-mentor-bridge-narrative-back/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...arting-gig-relishes-role-of-mentor/101263258/
    https://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-a-dynasty-of-quarterback-mentorship-1793479172
    https://nypost.com/2017/03/20/jets-settle-on-josh-mccown-as-their-quarterback/

Well, I guess with just about every article about this signing using the term "mentor", it was a natural to think McCown was signed to be a mentor primarily. No one really thinks McCown was signed for his Qb prowess. Now if he's good enough, or if Petty and Hack are bad enough, he'll start. Evidently the mentorship of Petty and Hack is dependent on McCown starting or not. Maybe if the kids are lucky, their mentoring will come from the Qb coach instead of the journeyman loser. Can't tell with this franchise when it comes to young Qb's.

McCown may be a 1 year signing, but he is still a M$M. Don't forget, McCown was the FA/Qb of last resort and with his record, I'm not sure why he's on the team at all unless of course to guarantee a top 5 pick in 2018.

#49 Cman68, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    The Waterboy and nicg4360 like this.
  10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Football is to precious to wish for 1-15 ,we only get 16 games and the years are coming and going.My prediction is Josh Mcown never takes a snap and Christian Hackenberg emerges as the starter during the preseason.

11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Football is a quick turnaround sport, but I can't stand this wishing for 1-15. Yes 1-15 pretty much guarantees a #1 pick and a QB...but let's not act that whatever QB we'd end up getting is an absolute lock franchise guy. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be one. So was RG3, and Joey Harrington. The league is littered with these guys.

What 1-15 also means is that the team is an absolute disaster and needs way way more help than we could've possibly imagined. I'd rather go 6-10 or 7-9, still get a decent pick, get a good year from Hack or Petty, and know that I can turn around and compete in 2018.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Going 1-15 may not guarantee that we get a franchise QB, but it gives us a heck of a better chance than going 6-10. It sounds as if you're more afraid of missing on a QB at the top of the draft than you are not getting one at all, and imo that's backwards.

1-15 does not meant that the team is an absolute disaster, but even if it does, that very well could be the reality. We could be overestimating Bowles' ability or the talent level of players on the team, or several key players could go down with season-ending injuries.

The Jets could also be competitive, play hard and tough, but come up just short in almost every game, losing by scores such as 13-10, 14-7 or 10-0. We know the offense is likely to not be very good. It could be ok if the OL holds up and one of Petty or Hack show some promise and play decently. The defense could play very well in every game, but the offense could be so awful, that the D gets tired and the Jets lose a lot of games late. We know that a lot of high draft picks have been used on the D, and few on the offense, but in spite of that, we really don't have the components of a top D. We will have rookie safeties who will have a learning curve, and as talented as they are, will make some mistakes. Claiborne has a hard time staying healthy, and isn't all that great, anyway. After him the CB corps is maybe decent at best, but more likely questionable. Unless Greene is a miracle worker, we don't have a stud edge rusher who can supply constant pressure. Our DL can generate some pressure, but that's not where most of the pressure is supposed to come from in a 3-4 alignment, and we don't have any real 4-3 DEs.

The OL is questionable, the QB position could be a lot worse than questionable, and our top two RBs are older, more injury prone, and we don't have a power RB on the roster. Even though the TE position is likely to be targeted more often, that doesn't mean we'll see a lot more production. In short, the reality could very well be that we are a 1-15 team. If we are, I'd rather that be revealed, than the team overachieve and make the FO think the team is better than they are.

I'd rather get a good year from Petty or Hack as well, but there are no guarantees. If one or both can play well, great! I'll be happy with 6 wins or whatever. Unless they can do that, I'd rather the team play well but lose every game. The ideal would be for Petty or Hack to play extremely well and show that he can be our QB of the future, yet the team lose every game or only win 1 or 2 games. In that scenario, we wouldn't have to take a QB, but could if we had doubts about Petty/Hack. We could possibly get a great trade down offer, add our future LT, add a stud pass rusher, greatly improve the team, and already have our QB. IMO this isn't the year to get hung up on the W-L record and wish for a lot of wins.

#52 NCJetsfan, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    K'OB likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Bizarre thinking is when fans prefer a complete tanking of the season for the chance to draft a QB that MAY BE THE ANSWER, versus having one of our young QBs play well enough to demonstrate WE HAVE THE ANSWER IN HOUSE ALREADY. Bizarre THINKING indeed.

14. Cman68

That's gonna be a pretty hard proposition to prove with a HC that won't play rookie Qb's but instead, prefers his vets because... "_________________ to win". If these kids never get any meaningful playing time in real game situations, we'll never know exactly how go or bad they really are. The LAST THING they need is more mentoring and coddling.

LET THE KIDS PLAY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

To quote DJT: "What do we have to lose???"

RuJFan likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

100% correct. Could not agree with you more. If we go into the season with the mentor as our going in position instead of the worst case position is not only wrong but insanely stupid. Quite frankly if that is the case it doesn't matter who we draft next year as a QB because the same will apply.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This x1000. I want a franchise QB. Enough mediocre, patchwork crap at that position.

17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

people forget that when the QB position is filled with a good player and let's say you get 8-10 years out of that player, you can then fill the roster around them and not do a desperation grab ala Da Bears. It just makes the team that much better.

18. No expectations is the right way to go w. this coming Jets season.

Obviously the QB situation perpetuates a sense of hopelessness & gloom. But let's not forget...there is a possibility that position actually works it self out.Both Hack & Petty are not dead in the water. Both have the tools to become "The guy"...it's just actually stepping up when the moment presents itself.

In fact...alot of positions on the roster are in a very similar state. OT,WR,TE,Safety(Let's not forget Ronald Martin,Doug Middleton, or even Pryor),Corner, OLB..That's alot of positions w. some youthful hope. The reason it is guarded is b.c unless your team is from Boston...the media is never gonna give a team the benefit of the doubt no matter how many prospects you may have in place at any number of positions. All they look at nowadays is the PFF Rating from the prior season & the team's name recognition.

Believe it or not...this season could actually be the very beginnings of a "window" for the team. The spot the jets are in right now may not look ideal...and in many ways its not...but this is the kind of set up that can lead to an ascension. Alot of young prospects w. some development under their belt & open competitions at a number of vacant spots. That can easily be a recipe for good things. It's a young man's league & unless you have a boat load of 1st rounders all storming your roster all it once(nobody does) you need some lesser known youngsters to step up & exceed expectations.When you look at the number of prospects the Jets are throwing at the aforementioned positions it really isn't all that ridiculous at all.

The only thing that can kill such a good vibe...is that these are the Jets and nobody seems to ever step up.Hey if nobody steps up..we're in prime position to pounce on that all world QB everyone is clamoring for. The long term arrow is pointing up. Until Woody gets impatient this coming off season & mandates a trade for Kirk Cousins

19. jilozzo

of course the jets luck would have them go 2-14, secure the 1st pick, panic and frenzy ensue around here, and have the selection turn out to be the second coming of ryan leaf.

oh man. LOL

20. jilozzo

watch it turn into a manning/rivers saga with d'arnolds father giving the jets the finger.

its gonna be a fun year.