The Jets need a "sexy" offensive pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GangGreenNYJ, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes!

2. jago

jago Active Member

QB, LT, shutdown CB , edge rusher all rarer commodities deserving of higher value. my point is RBs can be found later and also have short lived careers.

edit i will admit that zeke may be the best of the last decade and an exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#62 jago, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Jets had a "shutdown corner" - how many SBs did he get them into? Edge rushers aren't all that rare, it's just that the Jets don't know how to pick them.

Yes, RBs can be found in later rounds, as can CBs, LTs, and edge rushers, but they're not usually difference-makers. Adding an elite RB to the offense immediately upgrades it from poor to acceptable. That's a worthwhile impact to shoot for.

boozer32 and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Or Lattimore who only has one full collegiate season of experience.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just going offense for once in the first round would be sexy. They have totally abandond that philosophy.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The main reason the Jets didn't make the SB was Sanchez, not that they had Revis instead of an elite rusher.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I heard when the Rams added elite RB Todd Gurley to their offense, it made them an acceptable offense. Sounds like an upcoming similiar issue with the Jets.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Todd Gurley was also running behind a terrible o line. I think the Jets o -line is good enough to open up some holes for a Leonard Fournette or Dalvin Cooke if the Jets decide to go that way.

In any case, I think the premise of this thread is that the Jets have drafted defense for 8 straight 1st round picks and our defense is not good. When you invest that much draft capital on defense and don't have a top flight defense, you're doing things wrong. Unfortunately, 6 of those draft picks came under the leadership of Tannenbaum and Idzik who sucked so bad.

Big Cat is going to be stud, I'm looking forward to seeing what Darron Lee does in his sophomore season.

I wouldn't mind going for a RB at 6, but also recognize that the draft seems to have more premium defensive talent at the top of the draft.

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Catfish Billy like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

The Jets don't have a good line either. What tackles on the Jets are good at run blocking? That can get to the 2nd level? The guards are decent, I'd say subpar in the run game as well. Then add the 8 and 9 in the box because of the young QB. There is no one to take the pressure away from the RB. I think there are plenty of late round RB gems that the Jets can look at instead of taking a RB at 6.

Plenty of other holes to address personally. And Mike Williams isn't even the best WR in this draft, watching draftbreakdown, that belongs to Corey Davis, that guy is a BEAST.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. jago

jago Active Member

an elite rb needs a decent line and at least a threat at qb or he'll be worn out by the time the team builds around him. cowboys had pieces already in place making the zeke pick ideal.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Davis may be the best WR, but imo he's not the best fit for the Jets. That's Williams. Williams doesn't have to get "open." With his ability to high point the ball, hands, and ability to shield defenders from the ball, he would make a great target for whomever the Jets QB is much like B. Marshall was for Fitz. Davis might not have time to run his route before the Jets QB had to throw the ball or was sacked/running for his life.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

So a slow WR that body catches the ball that missed an entire season with injurys is good for the jets since when? Davis looks a lot like Terrel Owens he is a NFL receiver playing in college , Williams is a worse prospect then Howard and Njoku in my opinion.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping our "sexy" offensive pick will be stealing Mixon in a later round...I think the kid is going to be dynamic.

boozer32 and RubenDias like this.
  14. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Joe mixon is better player then Dalvin Cook in my opinion taking the off the field issues aside.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Mixon is destined to be a star in this league .
    It's time to make some shrewd moves to get younger at the skill positions ...this kid could be the home run hitter we've been salivating for .

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets have a great o-line but we had an ancient Matt Forte, who missed a bunch of games towards the tail end of the season rush for 813 yards, and Bilal Powell who was stashed on the bench till late in the season go for 722. Both Powell and Forte are not premium RB's, so I look at it as What would happen if we had a Leonard Fournette in the backfield with a legitimate Full Back to take up some blocking in front of him?

nicg4360 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Williams is NOT slow, nor is he a body catcher. Get the heck outta here with that nonsense. If you think Williams is a worse prospect, that's you're right, but it casts in doubt your eyes and perspective.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Getting Joe Mixon in a later round would be the steal of the century. There's just no way the NY media will let the story go.

I've never actually watched that video, maybe I'll go find it.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bleh, it was one punch after she pushed him and it was 3 years ago. It's hypocritical to blacklist him for that and leave alone other guys who have done far worse things off video.

20. 101GangGreen101

Williams doesn't have great hands, I've seen defenders rip the ball away from him on several occasions and drop easy passes. I also question if Mike Williams can consistently get separation at the next level, if he doesn't have to get "open" he better have Reggie Wayne like hands, and I don't know if Mike Williams is on that level. Here's what I posted in the Mike Williams thread:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...emson-next-megatron.87936/page-2#post-3543823

I see no indication this kid has elite hands, but he can make a spectacular catch, so you got to give credit where credit is due. I do believe Corey Davis runs better routes with better athleticism and the production to match.