The Jets’ Long Road to Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No I meant ..I am curious about the REST of his evaluation...suppose he got all 8s on accuracy, arm strength, ..etc Thae article does state they expected a Mayfield drafting NOT
    True.. but what if BM got all 8s in the rest of his categories eg arm strength accuracy etc. The article stated they were ready for a BM signing NOT Sam. If not for the Giants grab for SB it could have played out that way imo

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it was 1 scout of the 9 scouts the jets have and it was only his intangibles he rated as perfect. He had all his actual play and talent rated lower. we jsut don't know how low or specifics.

forevercursed and LF911SC like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think the article makes it pretty clear Mayfield didn't get all 8s and 9s. Also you're shooting yourself in the foot calling your preferred quarterback BM.

MeanGreenMachine88 and FJF like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear that Mayfield was their number two choice. It's also clear that Darnold was their clear number one choice across the board. By everyone.

As Darnold should be.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've had my issues with Macc, but he has regained a lot of the faith I had lost in him after taking 2 safeties with the first 2 picks last year. After hearing him on WFAN, he does seem to have a good sense of humor. He is great at keeping his cards close to his chest. Now, he needs to build around Darnold.

6. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Ok, I can see why you'd feel my response was blind homerism because of Sam, but you couldn't be more wrong.

My response had zero to do with Sam, more my surprise that anyone could not be aware that franchises also grade character, that mayfield came with some baggage with questions of maturity, questionable judgement off the field and sportsmanship on it.

I would not like, would question any QB out of USC who behaved like BM in those instances I mentioned. As a matter of fact, our incoming 2018 5* QB commit, considered a QB wunderkind that led Mater Dei to a National Championship this year, reclassified From the 2019 class to start his collegiate career a year early. After winning the All American game, he taunted the East team with "that's Cali football, baby!" Our coaches were not happy at all, neither were the fans. He was told that it was not the behavior of a leader of a football program.

QBs are held to a higher standard, and should be.

LF911SC and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/usc-of...-darnold-will-be-great-fit-for-jets/277105094

Former USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin explained on The Jet Stream podcast Wednesday why Sam Darnold will be a great fit for the Jets.

"Sam is a great fit," Martin said. "Just going back to how he was recruited, when we first got to know him -- he was a guy that was a linebacker and played some wide receiver. Point guard on the basketball team. When he dropped back and started throwing a few passes, we were like 'this kid can throw the ball.'"

And the way Darnold threw the ball changed how USC viewed him.

"We shifted from recruiting him as a linebacker to recruiting him as a quarterback," Martin explained. "He got it the hard way. He wasn't a big-time recruit coming out of high school. He wasn't one of the guys that everyone knew about. He was a kind of a kid who just could play the game. And we noticed that every team he would play on, they would win. And when he wasn't in, they would lose."

"There was a factor we wanted to have, which was winning and competitiveness," Martin concluded. "And he just continued to do that during his time at USC."

JetFanInPA likes this.
  8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

old school right there

Dierking likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Were Mayfield's actions immature, in poor judgement and did he show some poor sportsmanship? Yes, but he's a fiery competitor. IMO people and players make mistakes when they are young. They say and do dumb stuff. Hopefully, they grow out of it. They are all too pampered and too much overlooked, but Mayfield's character isn't bad. In fact the Jets had his leadership, work ethic, and relationship with teammates rated higher than Darnold's.

When your franchise has been without a quality QB for as long as the Jets have been, you don't drop from consideration a player of Mayfield's talents because of some immaturity. You take him and then make it clear to him that those aren't the actions that you expect from the leader of your team and that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. I would have been equally happy if Darnold had gone to the Browns at #1, and the Jets drafted Mayfield with the #3 pick. I was wrong about Darnold prior to our picking him. I thought that Mayfield and Rosen were the two best QBs in the class. I have read a lot since the draft that has shown me that I was wrong about Darnold, and I'm glad that we have him.

The article showed that the Jets thought that Darnold and Mayfield were the two best QB prospects, and my point was that you shouldn't just dismiss Mayfield because he made some youthful mistakes.

10. GasedAndConfused

it didn't say that at all.

one scout only scouted mayfield and gave him perfect grades for intangibles but lower grades for everything else
    The other scout, had darnold, allen, and rosen. We don't know how he graded rosen at all and only that sam was the highest graded one.
    There is no mention to whether the jets had rosen or mayfield rated higher, only that allen wasn't on the radar and sam was their top choice

LF911SC and FJF like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw nothing that said anything about another scout liking allen, darnold and rosen, but even if it did, it was clear that Allen wasn't among the 3 QBs that Mac was high on, and either in that article or another it was pretty clear that Mayfield and Darnold were the top 2.

12. GasedAndConfused

it was clear allen wasn't in contention. And it was clear sam was our number 1. We don't know if rosen or mayfield was 2nd. we also have no idea what grades rosen got in anyhting, and all we know the the 1 scout who only scouted mayfield gave him perfect grades for intangibles but lower grades for everything else talent wise, we just don't know what those grades were and if rosen had higher ones. It was also 2 different scouts. 1 guy scouted allen rosen, and darnold, while the other guy only scouted mayfield.

LF911SC and FJF like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Jets' Long Road to Sam Darnold! This thread title reminds me of that song 'The Long and Winding Road' by that hippy chit group 'The Beatles'! Remember when they got involved with that idiot Maharishi guru! Quadruple idiots in that band! Who listens to a guru in the first place! Gurus! How dumb do you have to be! I'll tell you! The Dalai Lama is totally full of crap! He's not as peacy as everyone thinks, he's just as petty as everyone else, and just wants his land, power, and his palace on the hill back! I will never understand why people kiss this guy's ass! Tibetan monks have been given the shiv by the Chink gov't, but don't be fooled! Buddhist monks are not as peaceful as we're led to believe and commit some serious murder! And I'm not talking about refusing to squash bugs! Buddhism! If I have to see white guy idiot Hollywood Richard Gere with a gerbil up his butt carrying on about the Dalai Lama again, I'm gonna shove stick toothpicks under my fingernails for relief!

Then that idiot George Harrison did a concert in Bangladesh! That song! My Sweet Lord! I hated it! I still do! Almost ten times worse than getting forced to sit through crap Christian music in CCD classes to some lame ass on guitar instead of a sitar! It wouldn't have made a difference! Looking for the exit and trying to save myself from this auditory abuse is the only thing I got out of Jesus and salvation! It didn't happen! I prayed for someone throw me a life-preserver in the only life we all know! No miracle came down! Anyway, I'll give ya Hare Krishna! Hare Krishna, oooo la la la! The shittiest song in human history! He got sued for plagiarism and lost! Good!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

And I’m getting kilt in the voting? Jets fans are truly nuts.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The part I bolded is something that I think is overlooked by a lot of people - "smart" people. In my experience there are just some people who are winners, and tend to make those around them better, and often winners. If this is truly a trait of Darnold, then that's even more reason to love getting him. Given two players - in any sport - who are more or less equal, I would always take the guy who has always been a winner, even - especially - when he's won on teams that weren't considered strong. In fact, I would take a guy like that over a guy who maybe is a little better on paper.

LF911SC likes this.
  16. TrojanPride

Just give it time....hopefully you will all see and experience what we did, and his "wow" factor translates to the NFL.

Our seasons would have been lost without him, so many times, he carried the team on his shoulders. There will always be interceptions because he is a gunslinger, but if he just cleans up the fumbles, it will be well worth it.

I think he was much more of a personality than Eli.....hope you get to see that too, his teammates certainly will.

HomeoftheJets and Noam like this.
  17. TrojanPride

This might explain about the coaches excitement on Sunday, the last day of Rookie camp.

Q: You’ve already got to work with Sam Darnold and even caught a few balls from him in mini camp. What stands out to you about him, if anything? How was he with the guys in the locker room and on the field?
    The thing that sticks out to me about Sam is his confidence. He has a ton of arm talent and trusts it. He made a few throws to me during camp where he fit the ball into a small window. I think as the weekend progressed he got better every day. He looked really sharp on day 3 of practice. He made like 4 or 5 unbelievable throws in a row and all the coaches kind of looked around at each other and just smiled.

Sam obviously has the talent and from the three days I played with him, he seems to have the leadership traits you look for in a franchise quarterback.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/05/10/udfa-te-garrett-hudson-i-belong-in-the-nfl/

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if we had broke the bank on Cousins and then Darnold was sitting there at 6? What would Macc have done?

19. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I don't care, it didn't happen that way so no need to waste cycles on speculation.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Never would have happened, Colts we’re selling the 3 to someone who was taking a qb .

stinkyB likes this.