The impending WR conundrum.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Our WR room right now is one of the deepest in the league. We have no stars, but we have a lot of talent and two young, up and comers that could turn into a Torrey Smith/Anquan Boldin type duo for years to come. Problem is... the 4 best guys we have at WR are all free agents after this year.

Who do you keep, who do you let walk and what's your price point for each? Keep in mind, Robby is restricted so if he chases the money, some team will offer it to pry him away from us but we'll also get a first in return most likely.

Pryor - walk unless we lose one of the other three

Kearse - bring back on the cheap, no more than $5-6 mil per year

Enunwa - $9-10 mil a year will put him a group with Davante Adams ($10.5 mil), Keenan Allen ($10.1 mil), Desean Jackon ($10 mil), Kenny Stills ($9.7 mil), Devantae Parker ($9.4 mil), Nelson Agholor ($9.3 mil), Michael Crabtree ($9.3 mil) and Marquis Lee ($9 mil). The players making $9 mil he's hands-down better than.

Anderson - this is tough. I really don't know what's going to happen with him in terms of interest from other teams, the tender we place on him, etc. So I'll just go with a straight up value number of $7-8 mil per year. He's sort of one-dimensional, he's always a risk to get in trouble but he's a damn fine piece for any offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think we bring back Enunwa and one of Anderson or Kearse. Pryor's as good as gone. Not sure who's available as a FA next year. We might have to draft our stud WR.

jetstopgun, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I say we keep the ones that can catch a football.

Not fumbling would be nice.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i was gonna do a write up on the 2019 offseason and it's going to include this but the short answer is robbie is an RFA and will be tendered. he will be here in 2019. Q is darnolds favorite target he'll get a decent contract as long as he stays healhy this year. 10/mil sounds about right. kearse and pryor will both likely be gone and there are a few younger and cheaper options we can sign that won't have a drop off. probably need to draft a WR as well around the 4th round or 3rd round

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

Some 2019 options:

Randall Cobb
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Devin Funchess
    Donte Moncrief
    Cole Beasley
    Tyler Lockett
    Tyrell Williams

Not very inspiring, but there are some nice third options there.

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's way too early to say, but Enunwa sure looks like a keeper.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. The only long term fixture i see is Enunwa.Someone will overpay Robbie expecting him to be something hes not.Kearse id bring back for 2 years max. Pryor id let walk.

We’ll be in the WR market next offseason & possibly beyond due to other needs.If the jets hit a home run next offseason they can address OL,Wr & edge w still some draft picks to spare.We’ll see.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Id bring back Enunwa and Kearse. Robby I’m sure would be tendered but I honestly if someone matches and gives us a 3rd or 2nd rounder for him I would be happy. He’s too thin to have a long career here and I would sell high on him. We could then try to replace him with a true #1 receiver or find another speedster to plug in for the year.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Robby is an RFA, they’ll just tender him

Pay Quincy whatever the hell he wants

JETS1116, Aero, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It would be really nice if Stewart or Peake emerged as a viable target for Sam. Then it makes it simple and you keep Enunwa and Anderson. It is a little early to discuss it, but you are right: It will be an interesting topic this off-season for the Jets.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Quincy will be back on a long term deal, Anderson will probably be back on a tendered one year deal, kearse back on a 2-3 year deal that is really only a 1 year deal in guaranteed money.
    I don’t see any team giving up any picks to take Anderson away or Mac offering any long term decent money deal

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

this is the answer. Q is already has great chemistry with our young QB, no reason to fuck it up already. Pay the man.

Mr mittens likes this.
  13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Cobb: washed up
    Benjamin: Robby Anderson is more durable
    Funchess: Panthers won't let him go
    Moncrief: already peaked
    Beasley: um, no
    Lockett: for sure
    Williams: disappearing act

K'OB likes this.
  14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

couldnt possibly disagree more and this is nowhere near some kind of conundrum

we have the most average group of recievers and playmakers in the league. we dont have a single #1 type on our team and most arent even #2 types. you dont pay ANY of them unless its on a discount. we should be looking to spend high draft picks on WRs or spending money on free agent WRS that are actually good.

if robbie anderson wants 9 million you tell him to kick rocks and drive him to the airport to his next destination. same with enunwa

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Robbie anderson is trash.

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Let’s run the first part of my post back

Robby Anderson is a restricted free agent. He will almost undoubtedly be tendered. He has no negotiating power unless another team puts up the pick corresponding to the tender we place on him.

17. BroadwayAaron

I knew I was in for a treat when I saw who quoted my post...

Enunwa as it stands is a 1 right now. It's early in the season but he's performing like a team's top WR. If you think you're going to get him at a discount then you're going to be watching him play for another team. Luckily, I'm pretty sure our coaching staff and front office disagree with your opinion.

You want to spend high draft picks on WRs? Something tells me you also want to spend them on a pass rusher and OL. We don't have any second round pick next year. Do you really think we're going to strike gold on a WR in the third, and are you ready to pass on an OL or pass rusher for one? Odds are you'd come back and bitch about taking a WR in the third when we have so many other needs.

I just gave you the list of 2019 free agents. Enunwa is probably better than all of them and Anderson is better than most. One guy I forgot is Golden Tate, who is probably the best of the group. But regardless, who in the next year or two are you ready to drop big money on? I'd like names if you're going to claim that that's our best course of action.

Saying Anderson is trash isn't even worthy of a response.

PJ4Ever and K'OB like this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think we have to see who Sam likes. So far Quincy seems to be a keeper. I think surprisingly Pryor has been his #2 receiver. Anderson & Kearse have done nothing so far, but I expect them to start producing more & more as they become acclimated to Sam.

So far, and it's only 2 games Quincy & Pryor have been our best receivers. Pryor ran a bad route which caused a turnover, but that's all part of playing & learning together. Next time Pryor will know to run a sharp route.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

also tavon austin (would be a boost on special teams as well)
    golden tate (quality WR1)
    John Brown (solid slot WR)
    cole beasley (great slot possession guy over the middle)
    humpries ( looked great as a starting WR when TB was hit with injuries)
    bryant (head case but a great number 2 WR filled with talent)

WR is pretty easy to find in todays NFL

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Q might be THE only irreplaceable part of the entire WR corps. You don't mess up that chemistry that is clearly there with Sam so Q gets paid. Everybody else is replaceable and expendable. We have no #1 star/diva receiver. Twig is a one trick pony who is one outburst away from a lengthy suspension if not jail time. Kearse, Pryor and Stewart are expendable. We have no TE's presently on the roster worth paying and in fact, THEY should be paying the team for their roster spots. Since its a true rebuild, we can afford several years of restocking via the draft on offense starting with the oline first. If we can keep those other joes on the team cheap, then do it although Herndon can take a powder.
    Macc has to invest heavily in the Oline and save what he can afford to pay Q and perhaps Twig if he comes cheap. Address the Wr/OLB situation via the draft.

Harpua likes this.