The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

I'd argue that it's both.

What it boils down to is that there are a lot of Jets who are overpaid. Some, like Revis, come close to justifying their money, but they are still paid too much. Others, like Scott, don't come close to earning what they make.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If you wait for Revis to prove he's back to being Revis he's either going to demand a kings ransom mid-season or wait until the offseason when he's a free agent to let the market dictate his highest price. I don't think it's a good move for the Jets to wait for that to happen.

3. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

It's a no win situation. When Revis is healthy and on his game it enables Ryan a lot of freedom with the rest of the D, even though Cromartie has been playing very well.

I would be reluctant to trade him just for that reason. The problem is that he'll either demand more cash or just walk in a year. He's got his money but if he wants a ring he might easily look elsewhere. He could easily go to the Giants and stay in New York.

I would only trade him if you could get a nice grab bag of pick. Else it just might be worth keeping him.

4. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Thank you! This is dead on. The Jets cap problem is not because they are paying the best defensive player in the league market value for his services. It's because they are paying a boat load of back-up quality talent pro-bowl money.

Revis is not the problem, shipping him off to fix it would only compound the issues and alienate the fan base (particularly me).

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would never forgive the Jets if they traded Revis

6. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

You don't ship him off to fix the problem, you trade him because the team won't compete as built and Revis is the most valuable trade asset. The cap situation requires a housecleaning and no one else has trade value.

I do think it is part of the problem though. Market value for the best player in the league at any position other than QB is very difficult to overcome, especially CB where the salaries have far outpaced the impact that player can have. Look at the teams with the highest paid players at various positions they really struggle to fill out their rosters with enough low price talent to compete.

7. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Neither would I...makes me angry/depressed just thinking about it. I need to leave this thread and never come back lol.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

now imagine Revis + Cromartie (the way he's playing now/matured) if they could actually draft an effective pass rushing OLb or DE........ I watch teams like the Texans & niners and think "only if" :shit:

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Trade him while u can. CB is a lux, we need pass rushers and line backers. Beside, he will want the motherload and unless he's a top pass rusher, i say "no dice". Bye bye Mevis.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You sure?

/filler

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It surprises me how many Jet fans would be ok with trading him, Like they would do it tommorow so we can draft a Linebacker? Its like trading a Babe Ruth rookie card for a Vernon Gholston rookie card and being ok with it and still being able to sleep at night knowing what you just did

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Something to consider, of the top 10 paid Cornerbacks in the NFL only 3 are on contending teams, or teams with a legit shot at contending, The Broncos (Champ Bailey #1), the Texans (Jonathan Joseph #5) and the Bears Tillman #10.

It's worth noting that the two teams tied up with the most money in Cornerbacks are both having dismal seasons, the Jets and the Eagles.

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The Jets and Eagles also both have QBs underperforming big contracts this year which probably has more to do with it.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Revis will stay on the Jets. When you are lucky enough to get one of the best players to ever play that position, you don't trade him. You build the D around him, which is what Rex has done. You could say we have too much invested in CB, but if anyone will be a victim of that, it will be Cromartie, although I'd rather have both for facing elite QBs. If we're cutting the fat this year, it will start with the linebackers.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

And how do you replace those LBs effectively? One way is to trade REvis for a boatload of picks and save cap room down the road in the future. If the price is right, trading Revis actually makes our future brighter as much as that sucks.

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

True, and I'm not in any way blaming Revis, but there is a point to be made about the size of a contract being given out. But that's really was never the point of this thread.

The point being, if the Jets don't believe they can keep Revis after the 2013 season do you trade him or lose him for nothing? That's what it all boils down to. Revis is my favorite active Jet, But I'm a Jets fan before I'm a Revis fan. And it is a legitimate question and something that needs to be considered.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

So we trade off the guy who legit is the best at his position, and earns every dollar we pay him.
    We keep the guys like Sanchez and Holmes who aren't earning a fraction of their salary, and try to build around them?
    that doesn't sound like a plan..

Only way i trade Revis is a clear path to answering our QB situation, and i'd have to package Sanchez into that trade to dump his salary.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Theres always a next off season. The Jets can still bid for his services or if he is back to form and the Jets want to negotiate with him while they still have exclusive rights do it then. I don't like trading players for less then they are worth especially ones who are as elite as Revis is.

Just because the teams you mentioned havent had good years doesn't mean investing in cornerbacks is a bad idea. Revis is a game changing feared player throughout the league. He is of more value to us it least through next year with the position we are going to be in.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Revis should not be traded. That said every single player can be dealt depending upon the merits of the proposed transaction. The notion that a great safety is beyond being tradable is absurd. If someteam made the Jets an offer that could not be refused, the Jets would be stupid not to consider such an offer. I wouldn't trade Revis, but its certainly not an unthinkable option. Alot will depend upon how the Jets play down the stretch. If they come out and wallop the cards and go on to run the table that would dictate a different off season strategy than getting b**** slapped for the next 4 weeks would dictate.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If you package Sanchez then you aren't getting anything valuable back. The whole point is if we can snag multiple 1st rounders for Revis, it instantly becomes a win for us. Yes Revis can become the best CB in the league, but those 2 1st rounders could be good players at more important positions.

Trading him would make our future much brighter. On top of keeping him, we have to allocate even more salary to him. I don't think it would be worth it.