The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

bullshit.. the only reason why Petty is injured so often is because of the talent (or lack thereof) of the line in front of him and the talent he's playing with. Stop trying to put all this on Petty when you know damn well if this team and its leadership gave a shit about Oline protection and overall offensive talent, none of those ugly sacks Petty took last season and this season would have happened.

If Petty is so damned injury prone, release him or put him on the PS. He'd be snapped up in a NY second by a team that actually has a f'n clue.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Is that o-line still largely in tact from last season? If the answer is yes then my assessment still stands. Even if not injury prone, the jets o-line will make you injury prone.

3. Cman68

When put that way, I agree with the bolded. BTW, this year's version of the oline isn't an improvement over last year's version. Same old issues, same old lack of coaching, same old lack of attention by the GM. Same old results too..

Doing the same thing over and over wishing for a different result...

4. grkmanga31

The o line has been grossly ignored for years. Even last year though, this o line was not as bad as they've shown in preseason. This is o line play reminiscent of when Wayne Hunter was playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Cman68

You'd think after 3 years on the job, our Oline coach would be able to show minimal improvement in overall play right???

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

McCown IS injury prone. He's older, and has a long track record of getting injured and not finishing the season.

Petty is no such thing. You're ridiculous. He had no record of injuries in college. Had no injuries his rookie season. He had a couple of injuries last season due to our sorry ass OL and had the one the other night. That's hardly "extremely injury prone." That's hyperbole and a gross exaggeration of the truth/facts. It's the typical over reactive nonsense of a hysterical Jets fan who is quick to rush to judgment. It is NOT reality, at least not for the real world and most of humanity. If it's your reality, then you are living in some altered state of reality like a bizarro world.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You are absolutely clueless when it comes to football. You've proven that in the last two days. Your assessment doesn't mean jack shit.

8. grkmanga31

Lol ok. I start to question the GM, and the ability for a QB to stay healthy behind a porous o line, and Mo's ability to play up to his contract, so my opinion doesn't mean shit. You can disagree, that's what forums are for, but don't question someone's intelligence. That's rude and doesn't make for good forum behavior.

FJF likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

Sometimes you can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. The jets have an o line with no premier talents aside from carpenter and he came via free agency. I personally think it's a mix of bad coaching as well as a lack of high daft investment in o line.

#409 grkmanga31, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I can't understand why we never draft o-line early lately. last time we did (not including ducasse but 1st round picks only) we got brick and mangold in the same draft, the 2 most important positions, both were top 5 at their position and anchored our o-line for nearly a decade while earning pro bowl honors almost every year.

11. grkmanga31

Because the jets have deviated from building a team correctly. Mangini was the only HC that understood that building a perennial contender starts with sound o-line play. Imagine Hack or Petty with Ferguson, Mangold, Faneca like Sanchez had?

That's not to say they would be amazing but great o-lines mask deficiencies. In the run game and for young inexperienced qb's.

Some years OL classes are stacked, others not so much. Macc was right not to draft o line in the 2017 draft, in prior years it may go down as one of his biggest mistakes.

Red Menace, GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  12. It goes back to the 10 straight defensive picks.If a few of those picks are on O every position group on the O could be vastly different.Its not exclusive to just OL..a quality QB or WR could take pressure off of said OL same way as vice versa

grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

It's not just o-line to be fair. the old saying "games are won in the trenches" works both ways. we've been great at building a d-line but need to take care of the other side of the trenches

14. grkmanga31

Both sides of the trenches are both important. I personally feel like having a great o-line when you're trotting out rookie QB's is a must. I don't think Dak Prescott would have been as good as he was last year if he wasn't playing with the greatest o line in the league. It goes a long way when you have o-linemen who can call out protections and adjust.

GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what are you talking about? Petty broke his freakin back in college, he tore his shoulder last year and now he sprained his knee. 3 years in a row seeing any time on the field, 3 injuries. Of course he's injury prone.

who cares if Mcclown is or isn't injury prone

and if hackenberg continues to stand back there completely unaware of the pass rush he's going to be "injury prone" regardless of if he has strong bones & joints or not.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

yup that o-line in dallas was a huge help in both dak and zeke's rookie years.