The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The reason Petty gets hurt a lot is the Oline he's been forced to play with.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Fun exercise:

Based on what we've seen of Hackenberg, assuming he makes improvements and reaches his most probable ceiling...What current/former NFL player is his equivalent?

(This factors in because if his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers then give him all the time he needs but that looks unlikely)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My guess....
    Based on what I've seen, which admittedly isn't much, I think his "best case" ceiling (giving him a couple more years to develop) is a journeyman QB with some arm talent...Hoyer...etc ....maaaaaybe even Alex Smith (if things go well)

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I'd say his ceiling based on skillset is Jay Cutler.

Most likely he'll be nothing more than another Matt Flynn. Hell if that if he can't finish a quarter with positive yards gained lol.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ryan Mallett

nicg4360 and Donttasemebro like this.
  5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Favre, Manning, Rogers -- just to name a few were BAD at the beginning.

Maybe Hack is bust, maybe he is a backup at best. How the fuck would you know if you never let the kid actually play?!

Keep throwing away players because they "look bad in practice", then keep bitching how Jets never find anyone while other teams get gems.

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Favre, Manning, Rogers -- just to name a few were BAD at the beginning.

Maybe Hack is bust, maybe he is a backup at best. How the fuck would you know if you never let the kid actually play?!

Keep throwing away players because they "look bad in practice", then keep bitching how Jets never find anyone while other teams get gems.

K'OB, zace and FJF like this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

#truth

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Hack will get his opportunity to start this year. Both Petty and McCown are extremely injury prone so I would be shocked if they last more than a few games a piece. Hacks problems are primarily mental IMO. He needs to work on ID'ing blitzes, and also free rushers. A lot of the sack problems are two fold, because he could ID them and adjust but the o line does him no favors as he continues to get crushed.

If he can get the mental aspect down, which is something I've been very high on him for in the past, then some of these lapses with sacks and interceptions can clear up.

The pick from Collins was a bad pass, no ifs and or buts. The other pick was placed in a busy area but Robby Anderson needs to put on some weight and fight for the ball sometimes.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:o_O SMH

I wonder if fans of other teams are as quick to label players on those teams as "injury prone," "terrible" and "busts" or if it's just limited to Jets fans because we've been driven effing nuts by this team?

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stop with the Hack is an unknown BS. Someone like Jacoby Brissett, who won't play because he's blocked by Brady and Garoppolo, is an unknown. The only reason Hack hasn't played is because he's too horrible to be let on the field for a real game. It's true that Favre, Manning, and Rodgers struggled early, but nowhere near as bad as Hack.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think you need to rewatch some of their earlier days. Aaron Rogers was so bad, they wanted him no where near the field his first season.

RuJFan likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

Rodgers was bad his first preseason (though he flashed athleticism despite his awful mechanics). But unlike Hack, he was pretty good his second one. He was also very much the exception rather than the rule.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But remember, this is really hacks first season. Hes barely played. If next season he doesnt show some improvement, with ya buddy.

15. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

16. HomeoftheJets

I don't really consider this Hack's first season. I know Bowles said Hack wouldn't play at all last year, but usually when a coach says that he isn't telling the truth. Had Fitz or Geno played well, it would be different. But I think with the way Fitz was playing and Geno's injury, Hack would've gotten a chance if he could've showed anything positive.

IMO at this point, the only thing going for Hack is he's still only 22. But we can't really afford to have faith in him beyond this season because if we get a top 5 pick, which is very likely, we need to take a QB.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have played no matter what, they made that very clear. Last season was about improving his mechanics. He needed that.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Look up early years of those 3 and come back to me with comparison.

But more importantly... Hack "is too terrible" ACCORDING TO WHOM?

Bowles, the man this whole board agrees is incompetent and needs to go? You wouldn't trust him to shit without missing the toilet, but you just trust his evaluation of QB?
    Crazy much?

YES, Hack is unknown. You can spin that "too terrible", "coaches know better", "Cimini (mehta, hughes, etc) said so"... you can spin this bullshit all you want, but until he plays in real game against real opponents, he is unknown.

And I don't mean play for a quarter with run-run-whatever game plan.
    6 consecutive games, minumum. Preferably with bye in between.

#398 RuJFan, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No, but look at both their careers and how many games they've missed. Petty just had an MCL sprain, screwed his shoulder up last season. McCown has had concussions and this website highlights his injury history in the past few years http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/josh-mccown-player-injuries

So no its not the team thats driving anyone insane its just the reality of the situation. Petty is injury prone based on his history with the Jets, McCown has missed 7 games since 2014. 5 of those games came last season with a shoulder injury. I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 QB's start at some point this season.

20. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

He's played in the preseason and produced nothing beyond 1 drive against the 2s. At least petty has real game experience. I'm pretty sure nobody ever said Rogers or Favre couldn't hit the ocean.
    It's typical jet fan bullshit, clinging to false hope. What has he done for anyone to say "hey, he's got something" not a damn thing. Spend a round 2 pic on someone that essentially was straight out of high school since his last 2 college seasons were a wash because of various reasons. That reason alone should have shed light on just how bad mac is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk