The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Kid has 0 NFL games
    Practiced with 1st for grand total of 3 week. Maybe 4?
    Protection is weak.

But yeah, you clowns are right. He will NEVER become even a backup.

There is no point in even trying to develop the kid. All is lost.

FJF, legler82 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You're still not actually comprehending what I wrote. I will try again, for at least the third time. What I wrote was that poor accuracy (and the poor mechanics which produce such poor accuracy) was never his only problem, it was merely the problem the media tenerally focused on.

The fact is, in addition to his accuracy problems, he has long had issues with decision making and handling difficult, pressure-filled, game situations. This has nothing to do with accuracy or mechanics, or with anything physical, for that matter. Do you understand now? Again, read slowly and carefully.

At no time was I "basically pointing out what" you wrote.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think you need to really watch a film breakdown of him. Because i wasnt for him until i watched. He does make good decisions. I think you have a bias because of all that is going on at penn state and you arent looking objectively. His decision making was the thing nfl excecs liked. It wasnt his great accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You can blame this organization for that RJ. They still don't have a f'n clue how to develop a Qb or apparently, an Oline either. They go from one extreme to the other. Either play the kids too soon, or too late. This FO/CS just doesn't get it. I keep hoping against hope that one day, the light bulb comes on.. Not holding my breath.

1 guy holds the light bulb while 5 guys turn the ladder...

#364 Cman68, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    matt robinson 17 and tbruner12 like this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone thinks these qbs are coming out of the gate pro ready. He took an entire year off, he basically a rookie, let him develop. I like that he doesnt force a lot. Let him be slow and make the right decision, itll speed up as time goes on. Hes learning a new offense.

FJF and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be redundant since you already concluded. Plus 4 is not some kind special number; it just happen to be what it took me to solidify my opinions on Geno and Petty. One of the things a few games allots me is the chance to see how the QB responds/reacts the 2nd time they see a coverage, blitz and/or look. Will he repeat the same mistakes?

In that first INT, for example, Landon Collins baited Hack. Whether it was an actual defensive call or a great player's individual brilliance, Collins disguised his flat responsibility giving Hack the appearance that it was open. It didn't help Hack did not make any attempt to manipulate with his eyes. By the time Hack was set to throw, Collins was already on his way to cut in front of the pass. I'm not going to get butt hurt over a potential NFL MVP safety fooling what essentially amounts to a rookie QB one time. Now if Hack gets fooled by that look again, then I get concerned.

#366 legler82, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  7. slimjasi

I hear you.

But, listen, my "conclusion" is based on watching him start something like 38 games at QB in college. I promise you that I am not shitting on him for no reason. I promise. You make a great point about getting a chance to watch him learn from his mistakes and see if he makes the same ones again next time. Trust me . . . he usually does.

I get that college and the NFL are worlds apart. I get that he is still a baby in the pro world and is doing his best to develop. I'm just telling you that I really think giving this second round (and what probably should have been fourth round) pick much more time than they already have is going to end up being a huge waste of time.

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. slimjasi

I would LOVE to eat crow about this guy. I really would. But, I'm telling you guys, this was a bad pick. It happens.

Peebag likes this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Correct. Then why was the media, fan base, even the coaching staff clamoring for Hack to be the starter this year? They said if he didn't start he'd be a bust.

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

spot on bro! throw the whole player away!

11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Watching the Giant game again, you can blame the OL all you want, but after the second series it solidified for the most part. And that Giant DL is pretty good.

Where Hack showed he isn't ready:

3rd and 10 from the Giant 11. A chance to score a TD and finish a nice drive. Pocket is clean, guys run their routes. Hack throws a left side dump off pass to Forte who is well short of the first down. They need to kick a FG. Had Hack not locked onto Forte, he would have maybe noticed his TE was open for a moment on the one yard line. But he wasn't watching, was locked onto his outlet and missed an opportunity.

Late in the second quarter, that deep throw to Anderson was way short. Hack had a pretty clean pocket, but short armed the throw. If he led Anderson it was a TD. The telecast showed Anderson yelling "The Ball" as he was walking back to the huddle. My bet was the first word was "Throw".

These were just a couple of examples in addition to the two picks.

Hack is still a worthwhile project in my view, he did show some decent plays Saturday. But he needs mental reps and to run the practice team. Give him most of the work Thursday night as well.

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Hack has shown me the worst QB performance I've ever seen on THREE different occasions. I think he has room to do worse too. My god can you imagine him vs a scary starting NFL defense.. sheeeesh.

I think I rather sink or swim with Petty. Much rather see if he can be something than to "see what Hackenberg has to offer" at this point.

Petty gets hurt a lot anyway, I'm sure Hack will still get his chance to stink it up.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What does "pro ready" look like when we are talking about Hackenberg? The argument can be made that he was the most pro ready QB in his draft and one of the most pro ready in a few drafts. Nowadays it's rare to find a prospect who ran and had success running an actual pro-style offense, taken snaps under center, exposure to NFL coaching...etc. Hack had all that; he is as pro ready as they come. Inconsistent mechanics, poor accuracy and lack of pocket awareness has nothing to do with being pro ready. As you can find guys who have great mechanics, are accurate and poised in the pocket and yet are no where close to being pro ready because they've never taken a snap from center, huddled, recite a play, make pre-snap reads, make protection calls, go through more than just a 1-2 read progression...etc.

#373 legler82, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Oh i agree, many of these qbs arent close to anything pro ready. Hack had a taste but was for the most part, in a college offense most of his time. So while he may have been the most pro ready, as you suggest, its relative. He isnt ready yet. He needs time.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

While it's true Hack hasn't played a real game, that's because he's looked so hopelessly bad in practice and preseason that it would be masochistic to put him in one. Right now he's 10x as bad as Geno was at this point in his career, and it would take a QB Christmas miracle to turn him into a starter.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Those last few years at Penn State more than likely did more damage then Mac thought. I really hope he didn't come to determination to draft this guy when he invited him to a workout and saw him throw with shorts on? Ignoring the tape all together. NFL QBs tend to have a very small window in terms of opportunity and just like Petty, Hack had to make the best out of it. He failed, the Jets should have a shot at one of the QBs this coming year. Should a new CS come along with it, then Hack could be with a regime that didn't draft him in the first place. Therefore they owe him no favors.

Times about up.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he hasn't played in an NFL game or practiced with the 1's much because he is so bad. You earn your spots in this league. Or at least you are supposed to

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

All accounts were it were the mental things that they liked. Knowing he needs to improve, where he needs to improve, play recognition etc. There were more teams than the jets who coveted him. The eagles were interested as deeply as well. They knew he needed work.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The mental aspect was something, I thought Hack would accelerate in, especially on the field. He's very indecisive in terms of where he wants to go with the ball and has been locking on 1 read. Everyone knew he needed work, but that was in terms of his mechanics. He hasn't taken the steps necessary to show the Jets he could be that guy.

If the Eagles were interested, they wanted him as a backup and nothing more.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont know where got that from, but they saw him as a starter eventually as well, so did Houston. They might not have taken him as high but he wouldn't have made it to the 4th round.