The first inkling of good Hack news

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This probably isn't all that significant (maybe a smokescreen?) but I think it's nice to finally see something positive.

"There were reports that the New York Jets are all over North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky. When I told this to Jets sources, they rolled their eyes and shook their head. They said that general manager Mike Maccagnan has them work more in depth on early entry players later in the process and not during the fall, so it is way too early to say that for almost any non-senior.

These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017."

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php#6d3BXMSKtYR0FFgT.99

Catfish Billy, Poeman, iJet and 7 others like this.
  2. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Sounds like Mac was the source

ajax, NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sources were adamant that the Jets would also take the best player available in the first round. This is the M.O. for general manager Mike Maccagnan. In his first draft with the Jets, he took Leonard Williams despite being strong at his position. Darron Lee fit that trend as well, as many expected Lee to be gone by the time New York was on the clock. In his final draft with Houston as the director of college scouting in 2014, the Texans wisely passed on Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel for Jadeveon Clowney. In the two drafts before that, the Texans landed DeAndre Hopkins and Whitney Mercilus late in the first round. Thus, Maccagnan's track record is clear, and the Jets are going to take the best player available with the sixth-overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

this makes me happy, i'll take any share of optimistic news i can get as a jets fan

I will say that I do think talk of the Jets taking a QB at #6 is misinformed. Mac has CLEARLY taken the BPA in his time here so far and none of these QBs are close to being worth the value at #6

5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Anything you hear this time of year is an alternative fact.

WalterFootball is a well done draft site, but let's not act like the guy writing this article is Peter King.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Never heard of the guy.

Just thought that paragraph was interesting.

7. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

Guess we'll see in the pre-season, granted he doesn't have anywhere to go but up

JetLifeLo likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Because the Trubisky love came from Manish. I hope the Bears draft him. Glad they are continuing the run with Hack for at least another year.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The last time we went BPA, we drafted a guy we really didn't need. If this is how its gonna be going forward, I have very little hope for this team improving in my lifetime. I really, REALLY hope there's not a standout DE or DT in this draft.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We can be wrong about Trubisky but what I saw from him against Stanford was not impressive. Solomon Thomas had him rattled all game, which is where a legit QB shows his true colors, and he just could not get his team over the finish line in that game.

Not saying he will not be good, but he is a project QB at this point, no way he comes in against NFL defenses and starts producing.

I hope the jets stay away from him.

I'm glad there is some good news coming out of Jets camp about Hack.

#10 Red Menace, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    westiedog1 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If he's a "project", the Jets will be all over him..

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jonathan Allen here we come baby. Brick wall of defensive tackles UNITE.

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

REFORM AS "STAND UP OUTSIDE LINEBACKER!"
    [​IMG]

Catfish Billy, Jeti, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ah, draft news in January when all the teams are leaking their hopes, desires and most intimate of intimates... Christian Hackenberg is a stud muffin!

Walter Football sweetheart, what was that? It was BAD! It had no fire, no energy, no nothing! Y'know I got a Show to run here, and it must pop POP POP! So tomorrow from 5 to 7 will you PLEASE act like you have more than a two word vocabulary. It must be green, okay?

Red Menace likes this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Watson, Kizer, Mahomes, or Tyrod Taylor needs to be my QB next year... not crapenberg

blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think he belongs in the same class as a Watson. I do agree, he's crumbled a lot of times under pressure. The Duke game, I thought he really got exposed as a QB that doesn't make the best decisions under pressure. I hope the Bears take him for sure!

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  17. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

This isn't good news...it's the company line. This is exactly what the Jets have been saying publicly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

They drafted Williams then forgot to do something with Sheldon or Mo. Didn't need him true but if they handled the situation correctly would have been a genius move. Instead, arguably our most talented and promising players are either getting in each other's way for time or not able to make enough of an impact on the game as a unit where the investment is just wasted

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not that this means anything because it doesn't, but the rap on Tom Brady coming out of college was that he was a bit slow-footed and tended to be stiff under heavy pressure, not making the greatest decisions at times. He had a good arm and text book size for an NFL QB at the time but there was something in his decision making process that went awry now and then.

It seems ridiculous 17 years later but that's how he was perceived and how he wound up falling to the 6th round in a draft when the best QB prospect out there was Chad Pennington, who was thought to be Brady's mirror image, a cool customer under pressure who made very good decisions and was NFL ready despite an average arm at best.

The Pats devised a system that minimized the number of throws Brady had to make under heavy pressure and he became one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Who did he have trouble beating on the way there?

Rex Ryan - who put him under a lot of pressure.
    The NY Giants pass rush - which put him under a lot of pressure.

Trubinsky might well be the best QB in this class despite looking overwhelmed at times in college. It's not a deep talented class and nobody has any idea if there's a franchise QB out there at this point. If the Jets could trade down and get him and some more value in the process it might be a great move.

Footballgod214 and Red Menace like this.
  20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i really dont like the "bpa" method....i understand it, but i prefer to see a best player available at a certain position approach, matching ur team needs with the strength of the draft. for example, this upcoming draft has a bunch of talented DL, DE, LB, and secondary. well it just so happens the jets need LB and secondary help so if they take the BPA from the LB and secondary positions, thats OK. if not, its the same ole jets. LOL

Jets69 likes this.